CDK Global Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.3
Brian MacDonald

1,505 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "good environment, great work life balance" (in 229 reviews)

• "I'm permitted to work from home full time which allows for actual work-home balance without all the commute time" (in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • "On occasion as with any business of our size work life balance can be a challenge - but doable" (in 39 reviews)

• "Too many changes from upper management" (in 72 reviews)

"Sales is no longer fun"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At FIRST, I liked working for one of the leaders in the industry. Right now, that Pro is at risk, I fear.

Cons

I'm reading a lot of the comments from my peers and, unfortunately, I can tell which ones are from actual employees, and which ones may have been added by those that either are NOT on the front lines, or are in a place within upper management and trying to equal out the negative reviews. There isn't a position around, and I'm talking worker bees, Directors, and even into GM's, that aren't feeling the extreme disjointed working of the company at the corporate level right now. For anyone that's been with us for 10+ years, and say there are "no cons" is just not truthful. We're going thru a lot right now - most of it is generated by Corporate. The employees are ALL really good people, and we've given blood sweat and tears to our customers to keep these products working - and they are good products. BUT Corp is cutting so may corners for what EVERYONE assumes is to make us look at profitable as possible, so that we'll be bought soon - that it's having the opposite affect! Customers see it, the industry sees it, employees and perspective employees see it -- and the competition is drooling over the opportunities that are theirs for the taking. Corp just doesn't and doesn't care - thinking a customer will leave because Sales doesn't visit them...NOT because they can't get support to save their lives (Sending all to the community is ludicris! and they know what I mean by this). It's been so long since those that have a $14M paycheck have had to pay bills, and try to keep their families afloat -- I'm sure if we pushed the CEO position off to India, many would notice. Most of all, I'm just sad about what we look like to those on the outside now. To our Clients: The Employees are with you and we truly do have excellent applications -- we apologize for the decisions made by those at a corporate level who have NEVER worked in a store before. We're trying to make them see. And to whoever is planning on buying CDK -- please do it soon! Or we'll fade off into oblivion.
    For Sales, they have a long, detailed, and VERY difficult pay plan and policies that make it extremely hard for you to make money. When you decipher their codes and figure out how to use it to get the customers what they need AND somehow make a paycheck, while jumping thru literally 4K hoops, if you by chance do well and make it to "Club" - you are a target now. Once you figure out how to do it so that you make a decent commission from a deal, they plug those holes in the plan to insure you DON'T make the same money as you did last year. Increased quotas, decreased commissions, decreased discounting capabilities (Dealers say we are already too expensive and leave for smaller, less expensive providers), and LOOOOONNNNGGG wait times for the equipment and software they purchase, with empty promises of a new DMS and iPhone-like addon applications coming years down the line - that doesn't help the company NOW. Since they only pay Sales half at the time it's sold, and the other half when it's installed 5-8 months later, you're stuck staying until you can get paid on what you rightfully sold. We have some really talented sales people who sell on relationships in this industry. It's hard because I don't think Corporate cares that not only is CDK's reputation suffering, but the employees - WHO ARE PEOPLE YOU KNOW - are feeling it worse.

Advice to Management

What will it take for you guys to HEAR what your employees are saying! They go to Glassdoor because you don't listen to the surveys - even then, the surveys are built to have only the answer you want to hear. Internal emails to us telling us not to use Glassdoor won't help, and eventually (like now) it will become apparent when you see fake reviews popping up -- employees won't mark those "helpful" because we know they aren't real. Don't ruin the years we've spent building this company to what it is. Sell us NOW and then leave, and God help the next company you destroy.

"Digital Marketing Consultant"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Consultant in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, work/life balance, little to no micro management of employees, flexible work schedule, work remotely from home with travel. The job is a piece of cake if you're okay with staying in hotels 2-3 nights a week. I've racked up over a half a million Marriott points to take your girl on a vacation!

Cons

- After 2 years the travel gets old
    - Little to no KPIs that have anything to do with your actual role
    - Company will hose you 9/10 times on your bonuses even when you're 110% of objective
    - Amazing first class digital products but terrible services
    - Don't care about their employees and will throw you under the buss to save face in front of the client
    - Upper Management has never worked in a dealership but act like they know what is going on (hint: they have no clue how the website works and don't know anything about digital marketing)
    - Essentially, the only good thing about this job is that you make your own schedule and get decent pay
    - Advice to anyone applying... Negotiate a higher salary because you will only get a standard 2-3% cost of living adjustment even if you are one of the highest performers in your division
    - They don't care about you. They may pretend they do but it is clear to anyone working for the company more than a few months that YOU ARE A NUMBER and the only thing they care about is paying upper management.
    - Achieve 110% of goals and only get half of the bonus you were promised while they pay their CEO millions. A good CEO would give up the money he didn't earn in order to give his BEST employees the bonus they deserve. That's why he has less than a 30% approval rating on Glassdoor, bum!
    - Company's lack of "care" about the dealers is very obvious, which is why they are losing dealers on the CDK primary left and right! When GM goes to choice model they are going to lose thousands of dealers and the company value is going to plummet!

Advice to Management

Reward your best employees. You are losing Digital Marketing Consultants left and right because you don't give AF about them. We are the only reason you still have dealers on your program. We help set up meetings for your Sales Rep and don't reap any of the benefits. You are going to lose 40-50% of dealers on primary website penetration in the next quarter. Heard here first.

3. "Work and Life balance"

I have been working at CDK Global full-time

Pros

Very Nice Work Environment, I can easily maintain work and life balance.

Cons

The campus is not that up to mark.

4. "Best Learning Oppourtunity"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Hyderabad (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Hyderabad (India)

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Learning Opportunities. Supportive Higher Managment

Cons

Average Salary of Non Technical hires is less

Advice to Management

Average Salary of Non Technical hires should be better

"No Growth Opportunity"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing

I worked at CDK Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CDK Global does a great job at hiring kind, fun people and supporting a healthy work life balance.

Cons

CDK Global's digital products (i.e. websites and advertising) and out-dated and function beneath their competitors. There is an extreme lack of stability within the products and the clients are starting to notice and take their business elsewhere. Pay is not competitive in the Digital Marketing business market and you can find better compensation and career growth opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Put your efforts into stabilizing your products and keeping your top talent. You have to pay to play

"CDK Global Review"

Former Employee - Technical Support in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I worked at CDK Global full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Upward mobility. Direct management was fair and good.

Cons

Silos. Tough to traverse groups. Direction seemed fuzzy at best

"CTA III"

I worked at CDK Global full-time

Pros

Great People, PTO, work-life balance and nice facility.

Cons

Pay, MASSIVE lay-off. Management promotes people based on who they're friends with instead of who's qualified.

8. "Great company culture"

I worked at CDK Global full-time

Pros

Great Company Culture, lots of opportunity

Cons

No bad points that I can think of

"I love working for CDK Global"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, OH (US)

I have been working at CDK Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have to say, from day to day, I do love working for CDK Global. The majority of the employees are hard working and help to create a fun working environment. With that being said it is still a job, not everything can be fun all of the time. It is what you make of it. There are possibilities of advancement, you have to look for them through the internal job postings and keep your eyes out for positions that become available. It is what you make of it..

Cons

CDK Global has the "Cons" of most publicly traded company. They have to meet goals that are set. I know the management team is often faced with difficult decision when it comes to a reduction in workforce or change in strategy . It is sad to say that most companies are faced with this from time to time and it not easy for employees.

Advice to Management

Be responsible to both the share holders and employees. Sometimes a short term gain does not always make for a good long term outcome.

10. "Work Culture"

I have been working at CDK Global full-time

Pros

Very good work culture and good learning opportunities

Cons

No Cons as such. Good company

Showing 1,505 of 1,596 reviews