CH2M Environmental Scientist Reviews

Jacqueline Hinman

"Great flexibility"

Environmental Scientist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at CH2M for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance is supported. Salary competitive. Favorite part is my coworkers.

Cons

Recently laid off loyal 20+ year employees with no explanation.

"OK"

Environmental Scientist

I worked at CH2M

Pros

flexible work schedule, high profile projects

Cons

expected to bill one hundred percent or take PTO.

3. "consistency in practice"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like that we have flexible working hours, compensation time / offset, and leave benefits. Creativity is also highly encouraged among team members and not only limited to the management. I am pretty lucky to be working with a supervisor who knows how to enhance my talent and he has been assigning me to different kinds of projects. I have not been limited to ESA works. My supervisor has exposed me to remediation and decontamination/demolition/disposal projects. I'm very grateful for the trust and responsibility given by my supervisor and for always being very supportive. I know I have a great career ahead of me in CH2M with my current supervisor.

Cons

Title/position of employee in the company: Seems hard for management to understand the difference between a scientist and an engineer. A lot of us in the office, though licensed engineers, hold the scientist position. Our supervisor has been trying to fight for our position to be changed from scientist to engineer. Been with the company for more than two years but I'm stuck with the same scientist title. Mobil phone allowance: There should have been an assessment of what a regular plan with calls and texts plus data usage would cost in every country in APR. What we're entitled in our country is reasonable only for a week, not for a whole month's worth. We do understand the need to cut cost. But upper management seem to have missed the details. It's not just ratio and proportion for US to other countries when it comes to telecommunication costs.

CH2M Response

November 23, 2016Global Talent Brand Strategist

Thank you for your feedback. We’re really glad to hear that you like working here and that we are helping you grow by giving you the opportunity to work on new and different types of projects. That’s what CH2M is all about! We recently revised our mobile device program to be more consistent in how we manage devices across our company. Every employee uses his or her mobile device for personal use, and therefore the allowance is not intended to be a reimbursement of all monthly costs. And regarding your title, please reach out to your HR delivery partner for guidance. Thank you again

"As a junior environmental scientist, I had an overall positive experience."

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Chantilly, VA

I worked at CH2M full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Employee involvement in managerial decisions/processes - Opportunities for project work across the world - Inclusive work culture (open to different personalities, different viewpoints, etc.) - Advanced use of/acceptance of new technology - Intelligent and hardworking co-workers - Many co-workers really care about getting involved in the local community

Cons

- Potential for 40+ hour work weeks (sometimes unpaid) - No bonuses or raises in my 2+ years as an employee - Promotions are slow and promotion evaluation is unsatisfying - Private consulting in and of itself is a con if you are not familiar with this type of work

CH2M Response

April 15, 2015Company Representative

Thanks for your work with CH2M and for taking the time to write a review. Your comments were noted, including the one about continuing to align our goals with our company’s values - we will share your feedback with the appropriate management team.

"Used to be an excellent company to work for"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Employee owned - stock purchasing program. Cross business group opportunities

Cons

Recently lost some large contracts so there is not enough work for current employees

"Just another company..."

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This used to be a good place to work. More focus on the stock price than the employee morale these days. They say it's a great place to work but I'm not so sure any more these days.

Cons

Too many to list. No work, no pay or use your vacation time.

"EHS Consulting"

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, interesting projects, wide variety of people/projects/travel opportunity available.

Cons

Finding consistent workload, large amount of teleconferencing/lack of personal interactions

8. "Overall Good, treated well, interesating projects, interesting and fun peoplw."

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at CH2M full-time for less than a year

Pros

The projects, the people, and the travel potential.

Cons

Very large co., you may feel like a #

"Corporate Culture Undermines Trust and Cooperative Problem Solving"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Environmental Scientist in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at CH2M full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is competitive and benefits are excellent. The projects and work are interesting. Having many offices allow staying with the company when moving to another geographic area. Telecommuting is commmon. Office facilities are genrally very good.

Cons

The company expects a lot of free side work in the form of presentations, mentoring, community service projects, etc. Billing is expected to be 100%. Poor support for attending training and professional development events. There is no way to settle disagreeements between project managers and technical experts. The corporate culture fosters blaming and backstabbing rather than collaboration and problem solving. As in many large engineering firms, the environmental division is a sideshow to support the engineering practice. Work is stovepiped with poor communicaitons and cooperation. Long-time employees say it has grown quickly through acquisitions but still operates like a small local office. Individuals market their services internally to project managers with little coordination or support. Records and document retreival infrastructure is very poor. Bonus pay is not common. Managers must rate at least 15 percent of employess as unsatisfactory. Workloads are uneven and vacation/sick leave must be saved to carry through light work periods. Orientaiton and integration is poor without clear explanations of expectations.

Continue reading

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews