Cactus Communications Editor Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2021

Found 377 of over 818 reviews

3.3
Cactus Communications Co-Founder and CEO   Abhishek Goel (no image)
Abhishek Goel
  1. 5.0

Cactus: A flexible, freelance opportunity

May 19, 2016 - Freelance Editor (Science) in Perth, Western Australia, Western Australia
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Extraordinarily flexible - pick-and-choose working hours. - Rewarding - ultimately, you are facilitating the publishing of manuscripts by authors whom would otherwise be unable to publish important, progressive research. - Adequate recognition of effort and quality. - Editing is a learned skill! Whilst a base literary ability is required, ultimately, Cactus does an excellent job of guiding you with respect to the structure and purpose of the work. The consequence of which is an opportunity to work in a highly engaging field, often within the realms of personal interests (I, for example, study and research in the medical field), without explicit experience. - Great pay, provided you can produce high-quality work. - Engaging and varied - I work on papers published in numerous biomedical fields; to this end, I find myself continually engaged with the work. - The opportunity to receive author feedback: this seems like a small fact, but when the author expresses sincere thanks for the work done, I find this to be exceptionally gratifying.

Cons

- Often, when following-up on jobs, turnaround times can be, perhaps, a little short - especially when working at Cactus as a periphery job (i.e. with other, day-to-day commitments). However, I find the management team to be very reasonable in this context, and often a solution can be found. Furthermore, this is comparatively rare, and only occurs with the highest paying jobs; therefore, in general, I would consider this an inevitable (and fair) consequence.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Freelancer, more than 1 year

Freedom at the cost of compensation

Jul 4, 2021 - Freelance Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Freedom of job selection. Sometimes very fair reviewers (sometimes not) who constructively criticise your wok and improve your editing ability. A range of academic and research work that challenges editors to expand their knowledge and fact-checking abilities.

Cons

Constant updates to systems and processes makes it difficult to be constantly on board with changes, and thereby daunting to accept jobs in fear of not being up to scratch - I believe this con applies mostly to freelancers who are not financially able to dedicate full-time hours to the company. Word counts that don't match expected compensation. Underestimation of time it takes to fact-check, format, and write comments that are ESL-friendly yet informative.

Associate Freelancer Management

Thank you for your review! We would like to look into your concerns in detail. We'll be able to provide you the necessary help as soon as you reach out to us on editorsupport@cactusglobal.com. We're always here to help with any challenges you're facing with regard to our internal interface and processes. Thanks, Amrita Anand Associate, Freelancer Management

3. 4.0
    Current Freelancer

Good organization to work for

Jan 31, 2021 - Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility and great in-house support

Cons

The pay is quite low

4. 2.0
    Current Contractor

Pathetic pay for the level of qualification expected from freelance editors

Feb 11, 2021 - Science Editor in Brisbane
    Business Outlook

Pros

Freedom to choose your projects as per your schedule

Cons

Very low way, unfair practices which are designed to ensure that good editors are not paid the bonuses they deserve

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 4.0

Freelance editing

Nov 20, 2020 - Editor in Melbourne
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, work as much as you like

Cons

Hourly rate isn't great if you live in a developed country

Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoy the flexibility associated with the work. We are sorry to hear that you did not feel adequately compensated for your efforts. Invoice amounts for editors depend on several factors such as experience, speed, and time available in addition to the quality of the original manuscript. Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

6. 1.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Not great

May 4, 2020 - Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The job is flexible, so you can choose the projects you want to fit to your schedule. You can work from home which is great considering the current situation with COVID-19.

Cons

It is poorly compensated for the quality of work you're expected to turn out. It is linked to rating system where the Cactus editors will assign ratings to your work but you can lose points for minor issues which affects how much you'll be paid for subsequent work. Also, not all of the work you produce will be rated so it's not an accurate average. Some of the manuscripts require considerable reworking and it is difficult to read between the lines sometimes. What bothers me the most is that you're almost expected to write some of the work for the author. Without giving away too much, there are things that are required for the submission of a manuscript to a journal, apart from the main manuscript i.e. supporting documents. There are details that I believe should be written by the authors of the manuscript, otherwise it's borderline ghost-writing. As someone who has actually published work in medical journals, I would've never considered asking an editing service to write any part of my submission for me.

4 people found this review helpful

Head, Editorial Services

Hello, Thank you for sharing feedback. CACTUS is indeed glad to be able to continue to provide a source of income to our editors and freelancers around the world. I hope you and your loved ones are safe and well. I'm sorry you don't feel adequately compensated for your efforts. With regard to the quality rating affecting your fee on future assignments, please reach out to your point of contact; as an editor on contractor, that should not be the case. Our feedback is meant to be in line with the expectations of our customers - customers do expect there to be no seemingly minor errors, in addition to the major ones, and our feedback system is designed to reflect these expectations. We do of course consider the gravity and frequency of issues when rating an assignment. The frequency of feedback reduces with an increase in editor experience and quality scores, yes, in the hope that the feedback already provided has been helpful and the average score, representative of the overall quality of work. The requirements for different services vary, with additional components being included in higher-value services, commensurate with the rate offered for the higher-value services. Considering that most of our customers are ESL authors, we aim to support their specific needs within the boundaries of ethics guidelines in the publication industry. Best, Christine

7. 3.0
    Former Freelancer

Editor

Dec 6, 2019 - Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learnt a lot and worked with some great people.

Cons

There were some structural changes that negatively affected department morale.

8. 4.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Reliable, generally interesting, but low paid

Oct 17, 2018 - Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

* The company is reliable and honest, and co-workers are friendly and approachable. Working remotely means you are rather cut off from the corporate culture, but it seems good. As a contractor, you can get in touch easily with staff in HQ, this is harder as a freelancer. * They pay the correct amount on time without argument -- the only time I've had a problem with pay it was resolved quickly. * Being able to work from home is great. In theory you could work from anywhere with internet acess, but in practice the pay isn't enough to allow for travel. * Work is generally interesting, though variable. Some papers are a pleasure to read and to work on, others have really poor English and are hard to interpret (and virtually need to be rewritten), and others are dodgy and will likely not be accepted by a reputable journal. Nonetheless, they all need the same attention to detail... * They provide training, and will hire people with minimal experience, which is great if you're having trouble finding work due to lakc of experience.

Cons

* Pay is low by the standards of most western countries. Unless you are able to edit 4,000-6,000 words per day (remembering that some papers can require extensive editing or rewriting, and you need to factor in time to understand the intended meaning of particularly malformed English in some cases), you will not earn enough to live on if this is your only source of income. It is ok if you're living with family and not dependent on this to pay your rent. * The amount of work is variable, especially as a freelancer * Some papers can be difficult (very poor English) or dodgy (poor methodology, flawed hypothesis) and working on such papers is a bit depressing. Working on good papers that show interesting results but just need editing for language issues makes up for this. * Your work is expected to be perfect (free from errors, typos, in correct scientific English) regardless of how good or bad the original paper is, or the deadlines. No allowances are made for the fact that you've taken a paper that was barely readable and made it into one with a few small typos or grammatical errors in a very brief amount of time! * Deadlines are tight and must be met. This is unavoidable, of course, but can lead to some stress and a few late nights.

8 people found this review helpful

Associate Vice President

Thanks for sharing an honest and balanced view of your experience of working with CACTUS. I'm glad that you find our teams friendly and payment systems efficient. We worked hard to get here and have got miles to go to provide our freelancer community the best working experience anyone can offer. To help editors improve their earnings with CACTUS, I'd recommend signing up for our premium and higher value (non-editing) services. We're actively promoting such services to our customers, and the demand for these services has increased in the recent past too. Your CoE point of contact will be happy to share more details. The anonymity of this forum may work as a barrier sometimes, so I'm not sure if you've had a discussion regarding our premium services with your point of contact already. If you have more ideas about the services or related matters, feel free to email me at yasminc@cactusglobal.com. Finally, I understand that the content you edit may often be challenging to work on, but therein lies our purpose as an organization: helping all ESL researcher authors communicate their scientific contribution better to answer the world's many unresolved questions. For research that is path-breaking, our services work as a conduit for global outreach. For research that is developmental, our services work as an educative experience, so that a scientist's future research may improve and contribute to existing literature and findings. I hope that this ideology resonates with you too :)

9. 4.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Choose your own schedule, work from home

Aug 17, 2016 - Freelance Editor in Melbourne
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've never had to worry about a lack of assignments. The senior editors provide feedback on every job I do, which has helped me improve a lot. The online portal for receiving and submitting assignments is straightforward and easy to use.

Cons

As a freelancer, there isn't much room for advancement within the company. This is not really an issue, because this job is probably something you do in your spare time for a little bit of extra money anyway.

10. 4.0

Freelancer

Oct 25, 2016 - Freelance Science Editor in Brisbane
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good flexibility to choose when you work, good frequency of assignments

Cons

Arbitrary feedback determines your payment rate, and the effort required for each edit is not accurately reflected by the remuneration

3 people found this review helpful