Cactus Communications Employee Reviews about "editors"

Updated 30 Jun 2020

3.2
Cactus Communications Co-Founder and CEO   Abhishek Goel (no image)
Abhishek Goel
Pros
  • "Extremely flexible in terms of work hours and work from home(in 55 reviews)

• "They also have a very good job assignment interface(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "18 for premium editing per 1000 words(in 147 reviews)

• "Editors on contract are not actively involved in the company(in 92 reviews)

Reviews about "editors"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Choose your own schedule, work from home"

4.0
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Editor in Melbourne

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

I've never had to worry about a lack of assignments. The senior editors provide feedback on every job I do, which has helped me improve a lot. The online portal for receiving and submitting assignments is straightforward and easy to use.

Cons

As a freelancer, there isn't much room for advancement within the company. This is not really an issue, because this job is probably something you do in your spare time for a little bit of extra money anyway.

2. COVID-19

"Not great"

1.0
    Current Contractor - Editor

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

The job is flexible, so you can choose the projects you want to fit to your schedule. You can work from home which is great considering the current situation with COVID-19.

Cons

It is poorly compensated for the quality of work you're expected to turn out. It is linked to rating system where the Cactus editors will assign ratings to your work but you can lose points for minor issues which affects how much you'll be paid for subsequent work. Also, not all of the work you produce will be rated so it's not an accurate average. Some of the manuscripts require considerable reworking and it is difficult to read between the lines sometimes. What bothers me the most is that you're almost expected to write some of the work for the author. Without giving away too much, there are things that are required for the submission of a manuscript to a journal, apart from the main manuscript i.e. supporting documents. There are details that I believe should be written by the authors of the manuscript, otherwise it's borderline ghost-writing. As someone who has actually published work in medical journals, I would've never considered asking an editing service to write any part of my submission for me.

May 22, 2020Head, Editorial Services

Hello, Thank you for sharing feedback. CACTUS is indeed glad to be able to continue to provide a source of income to our editors and freelancers around the world. I hope you and your loved ones are safe and well. I'm sorry you don't feel adequately compensated for your efforts. With regard to the quality rating affecting your fee on future assignments, please reach out to your point of contact; as an editor on contractor, that should not be the case. Our feedback is meant to be in line with the expectations of our customers - customers do expect there to be no seemingly minor errors, in addition to the major ones, and our feedback system is designed to reflect these expectations. We do of course consider the gravity and frequency of issues when rating an assignment. The frequency of feedback reduces with an increase in editor experience and quality scores, yes, in the hope that the feedback already provided has been helpful and the average score, representative of the overall quality of work. The requirements for different services vary, with additional components being included in higher-value services, commensurate with the rate offered for the higher-value services. Considering that most of our customers are ESL authors, we aim to support their specific needs within the boundaries of ethics guidelines in the publication industry. Best, Christine

"Smooth system but flawed"

2.0
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Cactus Communications

Pros

Easy to sign up. Smooth submission process. Good communication with managing editors. Pay system easily manageable via Payoneer.

Cons

Disagree with editing techniques employed. Language too verbose for use in scientific publications. I had my suspicions when I disagreed with many of the screening employment questions.

Continue reading
  4. "Facts matter and knowledge talks"

Current Contractor - Editor in Johannesburg

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

CACTUS today has around 2,000 freelance and contractual editors, translators, copy-editors, alt-text writers, scientific reviewers, and other experts across 70 different countries. The organisation ranks #1 in a FlexJobs list of the top 25 companies to work for in the world, and for any professional engaging in remote work, or the gig economy, there can be few better organisations to partner with. CACTUS has emerged as one of the top 10 safe places to work for women and among the Best Companies for Millennials. But in truth, it is the quality of the people and the empathy with which they communicate that has stood out for me. An outstanding company, living true to the new era of remote working in a technically complex world. It can be interesting and exciting work. Editing the writing of engineering and scientific research all day, every day keeps you abreast of where this world is heading. It's like a brief peek into a crystal ball of future innovation.

Cons

It can be hard, mentally draining work. Editing the writing of engineering and scientific research all day, every day is mentally draining in spite of the exposure to world-class research. Pacing yourself, and resting mentally is an important part of succeeding at Cactus.

July 9, 2020Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that the work has been interesting for you. I am sorry to hear that it has been taxing for you. if you like you can reach out to me at tanvi.devpura@cactusglobal.com and you and I can have a call with your PoC, and see how we can offer you support. Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

5. "This is the best job ever!"

Current Contractor - Medical Editor in Bloemfontein

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

The support is amazing. I can always ask questions about the work and the resources for editors are always being updated. I make my own schedule and the content is so varied that I am always learning something new. It's been an absolute pleasure to work here. The management leads with empathy and kindness, and I can really believe in the company values of non-discrimination and respect for all.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. It's been a pleasure.

July 9, 2020Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you found the management nice and supportive and that the work has been interesting for you. We hope that your experience only continues to improve ahead. :) Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

6. "Great company, even better people!"

Current Contractor - Editor in Mumbai

I have been working at Cactus Communications for more than a year

Pros

The payout, provided you actively work, is pretty good. The people are great, and accommodate your issues. Help on process-related issues is available quickly. The work flow system is well-oiled.

Cons

Editors on contract are not actively involved in the company. This could be improved upon. While the payout is good, sometimes, the effort put into a job may be more than what you get paid for. So that should be an area of focus.

July 9, 2020Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you have found the people here to be helpful and prompt and the work flow system to be proper. I am sorry to hear that you feel you are not involved enough. I would like to inform you that we now have a dedicated team that focusses on creating better engagement with our editors. We have several initiatives where our editors are involved. If you would like to be a part of any, please feel free to reach out to me at tanvi.devpura@cactusglobal.com and we will be more than happy to involve you. Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

7. "Good place to work for pure science and language lovers!"

Current Employee - Managing Editor in Andheri East

I have been working at Cactus Communications part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible work hours; telecommute option; approachable supervisors and decent work environment; no mistreatment or verbal abuse of employees as it happens in typical Indian offices.

Cons

Terrible work-life balance, there is NO life, especially for the managing editors!!!

Continue reading

"Setting you up for failure?"

2.0
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Editor

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

Very prompt and thorough response to questions and concerns. Very detailed feedback from edits.

Cons

Although the reviewers gives very detailed feedback, I feel like it's too little too late. This is because you are rated using a QI system which determines the jobs that you receive in the future etc. However, by the time you get feedback from your work, you have already gotten a poor rating. They seem to be placing the cart before the horse. The editors are left to figure out on their own what is required for each editing service that CACTUS provide. Initially, you are not given not even the basic information. For example, you are not told that your name on comments should be "Author". I did a few edits before this was pointed out to me. Or that you should adjust the clock and time zone on CRM to ensure that you do not breach your deadlines. These are basic information, that everyone should be told upfront. Not after a deadline has been breached and your score affected. Also, you are not told or given an example upfront on how the different forms should be completed. They only direct you to their 'resources' page, which isn't really helpful because there's Soo much on there, you are not sure what you should be looking for. However, after completing a job and receiving feedback from that job, only then are you given specific resources. This should have been done at the 'orientation period'. Which there really isn't one. I guess management is expected you to know their requirements that are specific to their company via osmosis.

July 9, 2020Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you found the in-house teams to be prompt. With regards to your concern, most of the requirements that we have from our editors are explained in resources section, however I understand that going through a vast pool of resources can be difficult and confusing. Your suggestions are very valuable to us and we are working on structuring the information available to editors during their onboarding period so that they have easy access to all of it. Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

9. "CACTUS is one of the best companies for freelance editors"

Current Contractor - Contractual Editor in Athens

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

My experience with CACTUS has been nothing but positive. Everyone, from the tech team to my managing editors and the finance and legal teams, has been nothing sort of amazing and made me feel welcomed from day one. The people at CACTUS are friendly, helpful, and will do anything within their power to address your requests. All my queries are answered quickly and efficiently. Although I will likely never meet these people in person, they are some of the best and most co-operative associates I ever had. Words cannot express how appreciative I am of this team. One of the most important assets of this team, in my experience, is that they offer their freelancers immediate and efficient support, which is often a problem when working remotely and in a different time zone. The work itself is fascinating for someone who enjoys science. Reading new research every day is one of the best parts of the job and it never gets old as every day I get to work on different assignments. Making a small contribution to the spread of scientific knowledge through my work is a source of professional satisfaction. The work environment is functional and easy to navigate, with new features being added frequently. It really facilitates my work. Finally, the financial aspect is great as well, at least for my part of the world.

Cons

Honestly, I have no complaints. Even when there is, e.g., a technical problem, it is dealt with immediately and everyone does their best to facilitate the freelance editors' work.

May 14, 2020Associate, Editor Engagement

Hello, Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are glad to know that your overall experience has been positive and that you found the teams helpful and the work interesting. We’ve been working hard to ensure that our freelancer community experiences continual improvements throughout their association with CACTUS. We look forward to a long and fruitful association. Regards, Tejal Dsouza

"Business model designed to devalue and scapegoat translators"

1.0
    Former Freelancer - Freelance Translator

I worked at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

I cannot say anything positive about this company.

Cons

Translations are reviewed by in-house reviewers, who are non-native English speakers with no expertise in the subject area incentivized to give out wildly disproportionate and unfair scores (so-called Quality Indexes, QIs) to cut translators´ pay. Every time a low QI is given, the translator is asked to send an E-mail in his / her defense (otherwise, work dries up) - so I ended up having to spend numerous unpaid hours responding to completely unfounded comments about my translation. Further, every time a client is unhappy with a project, an "external editor" is hired by Cactus to "assess" the validity of the client´s complaint. This "external editor" is hired to validate the client´s negative feedback and is on a mission to nitpick anything that could be used to scapegoat the translator. If there is nothing to nitpick, reasons will be fabricated to give the translator a bad rating. The translator is then required to defend his / her position, having to again expend a lot of time without being paid. The most frustrating thing about the entire process is that no matter how well one explains how utterly unfounded the in-house reviewers´/ external editors´ claims are, the translator will be the one receiving punitive measures, i.e. receiving work no one wants or no work at all. Towards the end, I was allocated translation projects that no one wanted for $8 that required circa 5 hours´ work. I can´t speak for other job positions, but if you are contemplating becoming a freelance translator at Cactus Communications, please stay away from this company, no matter how desperate you are - they will treat you like garbage and throw you under the bus at every given opportunity.

June 4, 2020Associate Vice President, Translations

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you’ve had a negative experience with us. As an organization, we are quite conscious of our association with our freelancers and are constantly working towards improving their experiences. However, I do wish to clarify a few misconceptions from your feedback, so that we can then constructively work towards making your future experiences better. To start with, I assure you that the perception you’ve shared of our quality process is not accurate for the translation department, although I can understand the reason for this misconception stemming from piecing together information about other departments. Our quality process involves a senior native translator who objectively checks the quality from a bilingual perspective, followed by an academic English editor who checks the output for English language quality. Having said this, I understand that your experience with us did not reassure you of our process. Hence, if your point of contact has been unable to address this issue, I invite you to write to me at saroshs@cactusglobal.com and I will be glad to work with you. Secondly, I would like to clarify this misconception about work being withheld as a punitive measure. No company actively restricts its own business processes or affects its customers’ experience. It would be absurd to prioritize penalization over running processes smoothly. Similarly, we make it a point to allocate work to all freelancers that provide quality as needed by our customers. In fact, in the translation department, there are scores of confirmed examples of translators getting work that suffices their month’s requirements. With this, I assure you that we are always looking forward to strengthening our associations with our freelancers. Do write to me or your point of contact on how we can do this together! Warm regards, Sarosh Syed, AVP, Translation

Found 114 reviews