Cactus Communications Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated 1 Sep 2020

3.2
Cactus Communications Co-Founder and CEO   Abhishek Goel (no image)
Abhishek Goel
Pros
  • "Amazing culture & facilities, Good work timings and option for work from home if necessary(in 59 reviews)

• "I can always ask questions about the work and the resources for editors are always being updated(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some of the editing assignments require a lot of work, since these are not native English speakers(in 150 reviews)

• "Editors on contract are not actively involved in the company(in 98 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Reliable, generally interesting, but low paid"

Current Contractor - Editor

I have been working at Cactus Communications for more than a year

Pros

* The company is reliable and honest, and co-workers are friendly and approachable. Working remotely means you are rather cut off from the corporate culture, but it seems good. As a contractor, you can get in touch easily with staff in HQ, this is harder as a freelancer. * They pay the correct amount on time without argument -- the only time I've had a problem with pay it was resolved quickly. * Being able to work from home is great. In theory you could work from anywhere with internet acess, but in practice the pay isn't enough to allow for travel. * Work is generally interesting, though variable. Some papers are a pleasure to read and to work on, others have really poor English and are hard to interpret (and virtually need to be rewritten), and others are dodgy and will likely not be accepted by a reputable journal. Nonetheless, they all need the same attention to detail... * They provide training, and will hire people with minimal experience, which is great if you're having trouble finding work due to lakc of experience.

Cons

* Pay is low by the standards of most western countries. Unless you are able to edit 4,000-6,000 words per day (remembering that some papers can require extensive editing or rewriting, and you need to factor in time to understand the intended meaning of particularly malformed English in some cases), you will not earn enough to live on if this is your only source of income. It is ok if you're living with family and not dependent on this to pay your rent. * The amount of work is variable, especially as a freelancer * Some papers can be difficult (very poor English) or dodgy (poor methodology, flawed hypothesis) and working on such papers is a bit depressing. Working on good papers that show interesting results but just need editing for language issues makes up for this. * Your work is expected to be perfect (free from errors, typos, in correct scientific English) regardless of how good or bad the original paper is, or the deadlines. No allowances are made for the fact that you've taken a paper that was barely readable and made it into one with a few small typos or grammatical errors in a very brief amount of time! * Deadlines are tight and must be met. This is unavoidable, of course, but can lead to some stress and a few late nights.

Associate Vice President

Thanks for sharing an honest and balanced view of your experience of working with CACTUS. I'm glad that you find our teams friendly and payment systems efficient. We worked hard to get here and have got miles to go to provide our freelancer community the best working experience anyone can offer. To help editors improve their earnings with CACTUS, I'd recommend signing up for our premium and higher value (non-editing) services. We're actively promoting such services to our customers, and the demand for these services has increased in the recent past too. Your CoE point of contact will be happy to share more details. The anonymity of this forum may work as a barrier sometimes, so I'm not sure if you've had a discussion regarding our premium services with your point of contact already. If you have more ideas about the services or related matters, feel free to email me at yasminc@cactusglobal.com. Finally, I understand that the content you edit may often be challenging to work on, but therein lies our purpose as an organization: helping all ESL researcher authors communicate their scientific contribution better to answer the world's many unresolved questions. For research that is path-breaking, our services work as a conduit for global outreach. For research that is developmental, our services work as an educative experience, so that a scientist's future research may improve and contribute to existing literature and findings. I hope that this ideology resonates with you too :)

2. COVID-19

"Not great"

Current Contractor - Editor

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

The job is flexible, so you can choose the projects you want to fit to your schedule. You can work from home which is great considering the current situation with COVID-19.

Cons

It is poorly compensated for the quality of work you're expected to turn out. It is linked to rating system where the Cactus editors will assign ratings to your work but you can lose points for minor issues which affects how much you'll be paid for subsequent work. Also, not all of the work you produce will be rated so it's not an accurate average. Some of the manuscripts require considerable reworking and it is difficult to read between the lines sometimes. What bothers me the most is that you're almost expected to write some of the work for the author. Without giving away too much, there are things that are required for the submission of a manuscript to a journal, apart from the main manuscript i.e. supporting documents. There are details that I believe should be written by the authors of the manuscript, otherwise it's borderline ghost-writing. As someone who has actually published work in medical journals, I would've never considered asking an editing service to write any part of my submission for me.

Head, Editorial Services

Hello, Thank you for sharing feedback. CACTUS is indeed glad to be able to continue to provide a source of income to our editors and freelancers around the world. I hope you and your loved ones are safe and well. I'm sorry you don't feel adequately compensated for your efforts. With regard to the quality rating affecting your fee on future assignments, please reach out to your point of contact; as an editor on contractor, that should not be the case. Our feedback is meant to be in line with the expectations of our customers - customers do expect there to be no seemingly minor errors, in addition to the major ones, and our feedback system is designed to reflect these expectations. We do of course consider the gravity and frequency of issues when rating an assignment. The frequency of feedback reduces with an increase in editor experience and quality scores, yes, in the hope that the feedback already provided has been helpful and the average score, representative of the overall quality of work. The requirements for different services vary, with additional components being included in higher-value services, commensurate with the rate offered for the higher-value services. Considering that most of our customers are ESL authors, we aim to support their specific needs within the boundaries of ethics guidelines in the publication industry. Best, Christine

3. "An Okay Company to work for"

Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Mumbai

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

Work from Home, Flexible work hours

Cons

No concrete payscale, Uneven Workload

"Sinking ship"

2.0
    Current Contractor - Freelance Editor

I have been working at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

Work from home; automated invoicing and payments.

Cons

Low pay; people with no little knowledge of what they're doing.

Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for sharing. With regards to your concern about the pay, I would like to inform you that monthly invoice values for editors depend on several factors such as experience, speed, and time available in addition to the quality of the original manuscript. Our top quality editors do have a higher earning opportunity, based on these factors. Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

5. "Good as a part-time job only"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

I worked at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

- Work from home - Flexible schedule - Can choose what to do

Cons

- Low payment - Have to maintain a certain intern score

"Great place to work in!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Editor in Mumbai

I have been working at Cactus Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

CACTUS is a great place to work in, especially if you are fresh out of college. There is minimal workplace politics, everyone is super friendly, managers are approachable and the perks in office are great. There is scope for horizontal and/or vertical growth in the company. Everyone is friendly and there is no dress code. Extremely flexible in terms of work hours and work from home.

Cons

It gets a bit tedious, to be reading and reviewing thousands of words and dozens of papers on a daily basis. But that's part of the work description Also, most days, your work tends to stretch on beyond work hours.

7. "Freelance Specialist Editor at Cactus Communications"

Current Freelancer - Freelance Specialist Editor in Bangalore

I have been working at Cactus Communications for more than a year

Pros

- Freedom to choose assignments - Complete work-from-home option - Responsive to feedback and complaints

Cons

- Lack of one-to-one correspondence between pay and number of working hours -Inconsistencies in performance rating

Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you find the editing teams to be responsive. With regards to your concern about the quality index system, all our reviewers are given proper training and undergo several calibration exercises before they begin reviewing any work. While we are constantly working on improving our reviewing system and making it more transparent, if you’d like to discuss any particular ratings, please feel free to reach out to me at tanvi.devpura@cactusglobal.com and I will look into it. Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

8. "Awesome company to work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Manager Translation Quality in Mumbai

I worked at Cactus Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home Well paid Employee friendly Great management Growth opportunities

Cons

Difficult to find any cons.

Continue reading

"Avoid at all costs."

Current Freelancer - Freelance Editor

I have been working at Cactus Communications

Pros

You pick your own schedule and work from home.

Cons

Every rule in place is to benefit the company, not the employee. For example, if you ask for a review to be re-evaluated because you disagree with your quality index number, the original reviewer (NOT a 3rd party) provides reasons why their original review was correct. In other words, nothing will change because it benefits the company, and not you. Although CACTUS instituted a new review process, I find that it's *worse* than the old one because reviewers go on a power trip and dock you (even more) points for the most meaningless things. It's infuriating.

Continue reading

Head, Editorial Services

Thank you for your feedback. I'm really sorry about the poor experience you've had. We do take our editors' concerns very seriously and we've had a dedicated editor experience team for more than a year now. With regard to re-evaluation of the feedback provided, while the reviewer himself/herself might explain the rationale for the rating provided, the explanation is vetted before being sent to the editor. If you disagree with the response though, you should feel free to voice your concerns. We do revise ratings where warranted, and I'm sorry if a valid request has gone unaddressed. The review process is set up to ensure that we continuously improve on the quality of the edited assignments we return to customers. It has incidentally helped us provide more detailed feedback to our editors as well. Once again, I'm sorry you've had a poor experience working with CACTUS. If you'd like to discuss your concerns in greater detail, please do reach out to me at christinem@cactusglobal.com. Best, Christine

"polite and friendly"

Current Freelancer - Editor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Cactus Communications

Pros

Flexible , remote work from home

Cons

Very poor pay not corresponding to workload, unprofessional staff

Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you found the work flexible. I am extremely concerned to hear that you found the staff unprofessional. We always try to ensure that our editors have an overall good experience with us. If there are any specific instances that you would like to discuss, please reach out to me at tanvi.devpura@cactusglobal.com and I will look into it right away. Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Found 59 reviews