Canon USA Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Canon USA President and CEO Joe Adachi
Joe Adachi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "So work life balance is really unacceptable" (in 10 reviews)

• "Upper management completely insulated from low status "working" (in 17 reviews)

"Behind the times"

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Rockville, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Rockville, MD (US)

I worked at Canon USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart and talented people at the site I was affiliated with
    - 35 hour work week - 40 hours with a one hour lunch break
    - Snacks and coffee

Cons

- No decision could be made without Mr. Adachi's approval. Very simple, straightforward and low level issues were always met with "Well, we have to see what Mr. Adachi wants"
    - The highest level of Legal involvement I have ever seen. Legal was involved with a large majority of meetings and the payment structure was such that if they were invited to cross-functional project meetings, that hour was charged to the parent company (CUSA)
    - More 'behind the door' and political maneuvering than I have ever see in the 13 years I've worked in Corporate America
    - Incredibly poor business decision making was made. For example, the site I was located was CBMI in Rockville, MD. The decision was made to close the site down (I'm sorry, "significantly reduce headcount" from 80+ to 7-8) with a complete lack of business planning. At least 4 people were hired in less than a month of the business being closed, how was that possible?
    - Complete lack of trust with the highest level of "leadership". The CEO of CBMI completely stopped responding to any communications in the month leading up to the announcement and in the months after with the exception of one cold and awkward site visit in the days before the large layoff
    - You will only be able to advance in this company based on seniority, a great way to lose top talent

Advice to Management

To advance in business, the business leaders need to be up to date with modern times. An executive leadership team being led by a CEO who has been with Canon 30+ years but no experience or exposure to other industries is a recipe for disaster. Medical devices are not cameras or printers, it's a completely different space.

2. "Pretty good if you find the right people"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Canon USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my department, people are pretty nice.
    Good opportunities to learn and good support from upper management

Cons

Strict work hours.
    Change is slow to come.

3. "Company Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Melville, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Melville, NY (US)

I worked at Canon USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The main difference working for an Asian company is that the pleasant and courteous respectful employees. It is a mantra of the company

Cons

Rigid. Strict and very structured even for an engineering or software / IT group. The same applies to office hours and dress code (business). Everyone is expected to punch in by 9 AM and discouraged to leave before 5 PM in my engineering team. Most groups the same.

Advice to Management

For engineering and software development, to nurture creativity it should relax the office hours, allow work from home. Also allow dress down.

4. "Canon USA, Inc."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Canon USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good People to work with, Good Benefits

Cons

Lack of room for advancement, Executives have very Old style of thinking, Lack of Empowerment for employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and do not be afraid to stand up for them. This goes for speaking to Executives or fellow Managers.

"Canon is following Kodak"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Canon USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people and nice offices

Cons

The company is stuck in the past and is very inflexible about many things (remote work, time off, etc). Management has a very old school mentality and business units do not trust each other or share information.

The company is trying to cut costs which means layoffs and downsizing. They have laid off over 100 people this year alone over multiple locations but they keep it off the record so the number is probably higher.

Management is afraid of change and it is going to lead them down the same road as Kodak. To be fair they are trying to broaden their portfolio and move away from the camera and office supply businesses. However executives are not taking the time to learn the industries they are trying to get into. This has, and will continue to, lead to failed starts and closed business units.

If you are considering Canon I would say they will be ok for a few more years so long as you work at their main offices. They are looking to downsize or close many of their smaller subsidiaries by the end of 2019.

Don’t assume that just because they are hiring the location is safe. I know several instances where they hired people only weeks before shutting a location down.

Advice to Management

Don’t be afraid to take risks and learn an industry (or hire people who do) before investing in it.

6. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Canon USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Good cultural sensitivity
    Team work

Cons

Not many opportunities to advance

"Typical big / bloated Corp"

Current Employee - Specialist in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Canon USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is financially stable. The grounds are nice.

Cons

No tolerance for out of the box thinking . Stifled . Shackled. Layers of silos . Disjointed . Clinging on to the Status Quo for dear life. Outdated .

Advice to Management

Be open to suggestions for improvement. Don’t shut down ideas automatically because they “go against the grain”. Encourage employees to express themselves freely. Break down the archaic patriarchy . Encourage individualism , not herd mentality that stunts corporate growth . Take a crack at making the co less like a communist dictatorship. And for god’s sake , departments have to communicate!!!

8. "Dream Job at CFS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ (US)

I worked at Canon USA full-time

Pros

The Leaders are supportive! The team is encourages and collaborates well to solve needs. I've never worked with a group like this. They have raised the bar in what a workplace should be. They care about their employees well being with classes for personal development and special support groups. The company is very involved in charity and local outreach. I really can't say enough how this is the place to work for.

Cons

No remote opportunities. Its just not in their culture.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

9. "Good Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Canon USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent benefits, company tries to take care of employees, sense of team

Cons

Company acts like a big company, slow to do anything

10. "Nice place to work"

I worked at Canon USA full-time

Pros

Diverse and kind colleagues

Cons

None cons that I can think of