Canstar Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-timePart-time

2.3
Andrew Spicer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great culture. Great people!"

I have been working at Canstar full-time

Pros

The people at Canstar are the best part of the workplace. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. The culture has been a big focus over the last couple of years and there are so many great benefits for employees (free breakfast, fresh fruit, getting your birthday off). The social club is also actually really awesome, with things like a cinema movie night, trivia night and escape rooms. Canstar is very generous when it comes to events and celebrating successes.

The other thing I really like about Canstar is the accessibility of senior leaders. They are very approachable and easy to talk to. The CEO is super down to earth and loves to get to know employees. He knows what's happening in the business and can have a really operational conversation. I'm surprised by some of the older reviews here but I can only comment on my own experience.

Cons

Some of the processes are still quite manual here, but this is starting to change. The company has grown quite quickly, so getting to know everyone is getting a little harder but I hope we don't lose our small company culture feel.

2. "A perfect stepping stone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Canstar has a positive and personal culture. Nearly all employees are friendly and encouraging. Canstar also has plenty of little perks that make work fun, such as birthday morning teas, celebratory lunches and cheap massages. Canstar also offers a great work-life balance and is usually pretty flexible with alternative working arrangements.

Cons

The remuneration is unimpressive and there is no real possibility of career progression. The company is disorganised and lacks foresight - as an example, employees are currently spread across two neighbouring buildings after we ran out of room in our first building. The small business culture at Canstar is also rapidly declining and there is an air of elitism, particularly among executives.

Advice to Management

Management should realise that while the little perks are nice, they are relatively superficial if employees don't feel respected in other regards, particularly remuneration and promotion opportunity.

"Exhausted boys club outsider"

I have been working at Canstar full-time

Pros

Rapid growth means work is interesting and constantly changing. Many great people and a lot of responsibility given quickly to people in all roles

Cons

Salaries are in general well below the market, although HR claim to peg to industry. This impacts the morale of the team and the quality of people in other roles across the company. You get what you pay for. Under resourced teams across the business mean a lot of extra hours worked regularly. Burn out is common and so is the blame game where the obvious reasons for turnover like bullying by sales staff and some managers/execs are buried by HR saying those leaving weren’t up to the job and needed more resilience. Classic toxic culture with a well established boys club headed by the CEO.

Advice to Management

Be honest and upfront about salaries in job ads and interviews to minimise frustration and distrust. Treat people with respect regardless of their gender and ego. Stop valuing the opinion of only those with overinflated egos (team commercial). Replace the sales team with people who care beyond themselves and their money. You have potential to become a great place to work if you recognise the greatness of your people doing great work but not blowimg their own horns.

"Analyst"

I worked at Canstar full-time

Pros

Good culture and openly inclusive environment

Cons

Toxic work hours, executive staff not up to speed on latest trends for transformation

Advice to Management

Automate all your processes - the data team are irrelevant

5. "Mostly great, some disappointments"

I worked at Canstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming culture. Opportunities to take ownership of a team or project in a mid-sized company. Great people in each team make it easy to ask questions and learn.

Cons

Often no recognition of major job roles or new responsibilities taken on - staff are usually promoted without being officially promoted. My job title stayed the same until my final month, although I did three very different positions in my time there. Likewise, my pay increased only slightly in acknowledgement of responsibility that included managing a team of 9 people. I also experienced workplace problems with one team member and was disappointed with how they were (not) disciplined and how we were both just told to play nice.

Advice to Management

Hire more mid level managers so that group executives are not trying to be line manager for three departments.

"Mixed review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Canstar full-time

Pros

Canstar have some great people and being small there is a lot you can contribute to add value. Your efforts will be appreciated but not necessarily rewarded. A positive attitude will get you far.

Cons

Believing you can do something doesn't mean you're qualified for the job so there are a number of people in roles they aren't able to do well. Staff turnover is incredibly high and the HR department really is nonexistent which is the main undoing of Canstar. There are also a huge number of executives and junior inexperienced employees for such a tiny company.

Advice to Management

Talk to people and find out what is important to each when deciding what incentives are appropriate. A table tennis table is quite reflective of the lack of awareness of what staff value and the obvious drive to employ cheap young and inexperienced labour who bring nothing more than a can do attitude with no training to help them fulfill this belief in themselves. You need to spend money appropriately to make money (and to retain your top performers who clean up the mess of others til they drop in exhaustion). You need to value staff members for them to value their job.

"Stale and Uninspiring"

Current Employee - Strategist in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Strategist in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The drones who follow the company line are full of cringe but I like a lot of my co-workers who know what it's really like and speak freely about Canstar curse and we all have heaps of free time to look for better jobs and follow the race out of this unrewarding and boring place. Yes the air conditioning can be a bit cold but that should be the least of Cansta's concerns.

Cons

Where to start, firstly management writing reviews to try to hide what its so really like to work at this place. Only my second job but from talking to heaps of people this as bad as it gets. Work is manual and place moves so slowly. Systems are historic. Behind the times. Management must seriosly know Canstar is out of touch. The drinking culture can make me and others feel uncomfortable on many occassions. Canstar is uninnovative, dont listen and just do things the same way for years. If you are reading this, get out cause I should of listened to the warning signals.

Advice to Management

Time for a change because you do not leave but all the rest of the workers come and go.

"Great Culture and Opportunities for Career Progression!"

Former Employee - Assistant Wealth Analyst in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Assistant Wealth Analyst in Brisbane

I worked at Canstar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had a very positive experience at Canstar over the last 9 months and cannot understand some of the negative reviews on this site.

From the get go I was given exciting work projects and a lot of time and energy was invested in bringing me in and training me up.

The people and culture is unlike any other organisation that I have worked for. Management puts a big emphasis on the corporate culture and puts a big emphasis on only hiring talent that fits in with the warm, collaborative atmosphere of the office.

The organisation is growing very rapidly, providing significant opportunities for new and existing staff. There are also many opportunities for internal career progression.

Cons

The air conditioning in the office can sometimes get chilly

"Inspiring culture and company!"

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Canstar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience at Canstar was very positive. The people who work there made the experience absolutely wonderful. The management team was very open and I enjoyed being able to speak with executives at any time without feeling any different to them. Canstar is a place of continual learning and I enjoyed how every day was different. I was always working on new projects and working with different people. There's also so many benefits to working at Canstar such as gym memberships, massages, free breakfasts and team lunches. The staff are really social and enjoy getting to know each other which made my time at Canstar a great experience. The location in Brisbane CBD is stunning and so close to everything as well. I would definitely recommend Canstar to others.

Cons

Sometimes the aircon can get quite cold!

Advice to Management

Continue to keep inspiring your employees! I really enjoyed the innovative culture of Canstar; always growing and evolving. By keeping this alive, it'll keep the company moving forward.

"Eh?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally a fun place to work, big on social/drinking events
    Work/life balance is pretty good

Cons

No opportunity for career progression
    Several people essentially doing the same job in different departments
    Highest staff turnover I've ever seen

Advice to Management

Your entire business runs on Microsoft Excel, upgrade to a newer version and computers that actually work