Canstar Reviews

Updated 24 Dec 2020

2.9
Canstar CEO Andrew Spicer (no image)
Andrew Spicer
  1. "good"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at Canstar full-time

Pros

Good company culture, work life balance

Cons

Limited career development opportunities and salary growth

October 25, 2020Group Executive, People & Operations

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed working at Canstar and enjoyed a positive work-life balance as one of our key philosophies at Canstar is to 'Live and Work Positively'. We're also encouraged to hear that your feedback reflects our good company culture. We are always striving to build upon these foundations. Thank you for choosing us to be a part of your career journey!

"2/5"

Current Employee - Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time

Pros

Good lunch, staff meeting are good

Cons

Culture, work process is not good

January 6, 2021Group Executive, People & Operations

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the lunches and staff meetings. We're sorry to hear that you felt the culture and work process were not good and would love to learn more about your experience - please reach out to us so that we can learn from your insight. Thank you!

3. "Good culture, good team"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time

Pros

nice office, decent coffee machine, good culture, free lunch (sometimes) , work life balance

Cons

hmm, pay, compare to industry standard

"Bitterly disappointing and unprofessional"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Brisbane

I worked at Canstar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yeh not much really. Some free coffee and staff leaving parties.

Cons

This place is difficult and there's a constant turnover of junior staff who do really menial and labourious roles. There's all this talk about culture but it's all fake and the real problems are ignored and not ever spoken about. The best advice for anyone is to keep your mouth shut and move on.

January 20, 2020Group Executive, People & Operations

We are sorry to hear that your experiences were not all positive during your time at Canstar. We would be grateful if you were open to connecting with us via email at people@canstar.com.au to share your thoughts with us in more detail.

"TOXIC work environment"

Former Employee - Journalist in Brisbane

I worked at Canstar part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro is that you get to leave at the end of the day.

Cons

It is the most toxic, most unpleasant place to work. Managers bully their team and treat their workers like dirt.

Continue reading

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance, good leadership, and great working conditions

Cons

Only real con due to the size of the company, career progression maybe limited

October 20, 2019Group Executive, People & Operations

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear you are enjoying working at Canstar and have highlighted work-life balance as being a positive aspect. This aligns with one of our Employer Value Proposition pillars, which is to 'Live and Work Positively'. We are also encouraged to hear that your feedback reflects supportive experiences with management. We look forward to continue building upon these positive aspects.

7. "Flexibility + work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time

Pros

Canstar is very flexible with hours, work from home and time off as I experienced in my position. The culture is social - there are lots of morning teas, nibbles, arvo drinks, etc. and it makes for a casual, friendly environment. There are lots of perks like subsidised massages and they're always coming up with new employee incentives and addressing things like pay and more hard benefits. I reported to really good people whom I respect, found the exec team to be down to earth and sincere, and even got to travel. So I can say I recommend both the Brisbane and the Sydney office! It's a young culture but as it grows more experienced people are being recruited. I've had a good experience at Canstar, met some really great people and I would recommend them as an employer.

Cons

I don't agree with previous posts about a boys club or the comments about the executive team. There are a lot of really influential female and male leaders within the business and the staff is split equally.

September 15, 2019People & Culture Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear you are making use of our flexible working arrangements and enjoy the positive culture we have developed at Canstar. We are also proud of our gender diversity and strong representation of women in leadership positions, and are encouraged to hear that your experiences with management were supportive. We look forward to continue building upon these positive aspects.

"You don't know what is going on."

I worked at Canstar full-time

Pros

Free breakfast and people are friendly for the most part. The office spaces are nice even though they get noisy. There is a team to blame most of the time but if its not the most likeable person complaining no one does anything to stop it. I reckon everything will go well for you if you keep your head down and get through until you can get a good job. Don't let the great place to work ads fool you.

Cons

No real potential for career progression Low pay Low-intellect micromanagers No real training or development unless your a graduate in finance Incompetent digital Everyone sticks to their own teams and complains about the others Outlook doesn't look good

September 15, 2019People & Culture Manager

"Good if you can drown out the noise (literally and figuratively)"

I worked at Canstar full-time

Pros

For the most part I enjoyed my time here. The work and major projects are, for the most part, interesting. The people you work with will become your friends and there is a lively atmosphere with something always going on, so socially you are never bored. Most (Stress, most) people are easy to get along with and collegiate, making cross-team cohesion good. The office spaces are bright, comfortable and clean, and the company opened floor 22 at the right time as floor 21 was bursting at the seams with staff overflow. When staff from another building moved back to 143 Turbot there were some cultural clashes, but most issues have been ironed out. You will likely become more financially literate working here, which is a plus. Many people have gone from intern - casual - full time fairly quickly, giving graduates an opportunity. This makes for an incredibly young workforce, but still, the opportunities are there. If you can drown out the noise (both literally and figuratively) and just focus on your work, you will likely have a great time here.

Cons

Employer 1: Are there any genuine promotion opportunities or staff retention efforts? The turnover rate seems kinda high. Canstar: Did you say ‘free pizza’? Employer 2: What about a good paternity leave policy? Canstar: There are ‘subsidised’ massages Employer 3: I want to negotiate my salary without it being a painstaking process Canstar: Be quiet and eat your Birthday Morning Tea sausage roll Employer 4: I feel like the goal sheet process could be quicker and less rigid. Canstar: Sounds like you’re begging for a ‘2’ in your ‘Cultural Contribution’ rating Employer 5: Salaries seem a little low compared to similar companies, what gives? Canstar: PING PONG TABLE Employer 6: What about genuine training opportunities so I can upskill and be a better member of the team? Canstar: We have, like, 3-hour digital marketing conferences, remember to get your coffee order in and LinkedIn photo for it! You get the picture.

September 15, 2019People & Culture Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the office environment and social aspects of working at Canstar, as well as had the opportunity to work on some interesting projects. You raise a good point about ensuring that the benefits we offer staff should be meaningful and address employee needs. We must place equal importance on initiatives such as training and development, and internal policies and procedures. If you’d like to share further feedback about any of these areas, please feel free to contact us at people@canstar.com.au

10. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Canstar full-time

Pros

It’s very social, some incredible managers (in the wider marketing team, not sure about other departments), and if you have a solid manager like I had you will have clear career progression. You can also choose the training path you want to go down with budget allocated for conferences and training. Would recommend Canstar as a great place to work!

Cons

Very ROI focused, which can sometimes impact innovation.

September 15, 2019People & Culture Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We value continued learning and development, so it’s great to hear that you have been supported by your manager to attend training and have been able to progress your career at Canstar. Innovation is important to us and we understand that sometimes this can be impacted by operational goals. We will continue to explore and trial ways that we can further nurture innovation in the business.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 English Reviews