Canstar Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Andrew Spicer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mostly great, some disappointments"

I worked at Canstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming culture. Opportunities to take ownership of a team or project in a mid-sized company. Great people in each team make it easy to ask questions and learn.

Cons

Often no recognition of major job roles or new responsibilities taken on - staff are usually promoted without being officially promoted. My job title stayed the same until my final month, although I did three very different positions in my time there. Likewise, my pay increased only slightly in acknowledgement of responsibility that included managing a team of 9 people. I also experienced workplace problems with one team member and was disappointed with how they were (not) disciplined and how we were both just told to play nice.

Advice to Management

Hire more mid level managers so that group executives are not trying to be line manager for three departments.

"Mixed review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I worked at Canstar full-time

Pros

Canstar have some great people and being small there is a lot you can contribute to add value. Your efforts will be appreciated but not necessarily rewarded. A positive attitude will get you far.

Cons

Believing you can do something doesn't mean you're qualified for the job so there are a number of people in roles they aren't able to do well. Staff turnover is incredibly high and the HR department really is nonexistent which is the main undoing of Canstar. There are also a huge number of executives and junior inexperienced employees for such a tiny company.

Advice to Management

Talk to people and find out what is important to each when deciding what incentives are appropriate. A table tennis table is quite reflective of the lack of awareness of what staff value and the obvious drive to employ cheap young and inexperienced labour who bring nothing more than a can do attitude with no training to help them fulfill this belief in themselves. You need to spend money appropriately to make money (and to retain your top performers who clean up the mess of others til they drop in exhaustion). You need to value staff members for them to value their job.

"Stale and Uninspiring"

Current Employee - Strategist in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Strategist in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The drones who follow the company line are full of cringe but I like a lot of my co-workers who know what it's really like and speak freely about Canstar curse and we all have heaps of free time to look for better jobs and follow the race out of this unrewarding and boring place. Yes the air conditioning can be a bit cold but that should be the least of Cansta's concerns.

Cons

Where to start, firstly management writing reviews to try to hide what its so really like to work at this place. Only my second job but from talking to heaps of people this as bad as it gets. Work is manual and place moves so slowly. Systems are historic. Behind the times. Management must seriosly know Canstar is out of touch. The drinking culture can make me and others feel uncomfortable on many occassions. Canstar is uninnovative, dont listen and just do things the same way for years. If you are reading this, get out cause I should of listened to the warning signals.

Advice to Management

Time for a change because you do not leave but all the rest of the workers come and go.

"Great Culture and Opportunities for Career Progression!"

Former Employee - Assistant Wealth Analyst in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Assistant Wealth Analyst in Brisbane

I worked at Canstar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had a very positive experience at Canstar over the last 9 months and cannot understand some of the negative reviews on this site.

From the get go I was given exciting work projects and a lot of time and energy was invested in bringing me in and training me up.

The people and culture is unlike any other organisation that I have worked for. Management puts a big emphasis on the corporate culture and puts a big emphasis on only hiring talent that fits in with the warm, collaborative atmosphere of the office.

The organisation is growing very rapidly, providing significant opportunities for new and existing staff. There are also many opportunities for internal career progression.

Cons

The air conditioning in the office can sometimes get chilly

"Inspiring culture and company!"

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Canstar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience at Canstar was very positive. The people who work there made the experience absolutely wonderful. The management team was very open and I enjoyed being able to speak with executives at any time without feeling any different to them. Canstar is a place of continual learning and I enjoyed how every day was different. I was always working on new projects and working with different people. There's also so many benefits to working at Canstar such as gym memberships, massages, free breakfasts and team lunches. The staff are really social and enjoy getting to know each other which made my time at Canstar a great experience. The location in Brisbane CBD is stunning and so close to everything as well. I would definitely recommend Canstar to others.

Cons

Sometimes the aircon can get quite cold!

Advice to Management

Continue to keep inspiring your employees! I really enjoyed the innovative culture of Canstar; always growing and evolving. By keeping this alive, it'll keep the company moving forward.

"Eh?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally a fun place to work, big on social/drinking events
    Work/life balance is pretty good

Cons

No opportunity for career progression
    Several people essentially doing the same job in different departments
    Highest staff turnover I've ever seen

Advice to Management

Your entire business runs on Microsoft Excel, upgrade to a newer version and computers that actually work

"Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

Pros

New office in the city is clean and has nice views from Level 21 of the Suncorp building.
    The environment is not too stressful or demanding.
    Plenty of good stuff to learn in relation to personal finance.
    They have a ping pong table now.
    Little requirement to work long hours most of the time.

Cons

There is a strong drinking culture, particularly among senior management.
    Lack of understanding from management in relation to motivating staff or building culture in the workplace.
    Very little attempt at using technology to improve work life or improve processes (a lot of manual processes based on outdated methodologies).
    Company seems reluctant to spend money on tools/technology (i.e. decent computers, etc...)

9. "Friendly culture and rewarding job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

I have been working at Canstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at many organisations over the last 10 years and I can honestly say Canstar is my favourite. Both from the friendly encouraging culture and from the rewarding job. The execs are really friendly and participate in social events.

I find it hard to believe some of the earlier negative reviews. I've been working here for almost 2 years and I can't make sense of them. My only guess is that possibly there was bad apple in management previously and a few employers got burnt. With an organisation under 60 employees it's possible someone in management can breed anxiety amongst staff. But from what I've experienced since starting 2 years ago it's extremely positive, encouraging, everybody seems to understand that we're working towards the same goal. I haven't experienced any lying or back stabbing so I can only assume those people have now left.

Cons

The Air-con can be a bit cold sometimes.

"Worst Company with Ugly mindset"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Brisbane
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Brisbane

Pros

Hard to think. Free coffee

Cons

Bad Management, Dodgy behavior, Chaotic and firefighting business approach, see the shiny side only behavior, family affair or family oligarchic culture

Advice to Management

leave the company

"Worst place I have ever worked"

Pros

None none none none none

Cons

Small. Evil people -don't trust anyone. Managers And execs focus on keeping themselves in their jobs and couldn't care less about others. Totally out of touch regarding what typical salaries and bonuses are. Be warned! They will lie to your face and stab you in the back.

Advice to Management

Not worth writing anything here. They don't listen.