Canva Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 75 reviews

4.3
Canva CEO Melanie Perkins
Melanie Perkins
Pros
  • "Breakfast and lunch are served daily by a dedicated in house team, and the great office interiors help make it a conducive place to work(in 8 reviews)

• "Shitload of perks like daily fresh lunch, team events, gym membership(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are way too many snacks :)(in 4 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast and everyone is amazing so there are a lot of new names to learn(in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place to work"

I have been working at Canva full-time

Pros

work is actually fun, the perks are amazing as you can tell from all other reviews and you get the opportunity to pump out work: processes result in code being shipped super fast.

Cons

very hard to understand where you sit in the company and what career progression is.

Canva2019-05-13
  2. "What they say is true - Canva is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Canva full-time for more than a year

Pros

- strong vision - huge opportunities for growth - supportive team and mentor - internal coach - food (variety too), gym, celebrations - dog & cat friendly - good vibes

Cons

The office is in Surry Hills so if you're not a fan of "steep" walks from the train station...

Canva2019-08-15

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Canva full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I joined Canva I had exactly zero experience with building cloud applications that operate at scale. I found the senior engineers to be extremely open and generous with their time. I feel like my first 6months-1year at Canva was a real bootcamp and I learned an incredible amount. Both in terms of practical skills and experience, but also approaches to thinking through difficult problems. I really love Canva's... approach to mentoring new starters. The food is amazing, perks are great. Flexibility is great. I've met and worked with plenty of amazing people. The environment is very social if you want it to be. There is a club for everything. The company has a lot of positive impacts around the world.

Cons

It can be a very intense place to work. This is challenging from a work-life balance perspective. It is also a relatively chaotic environment and this doesn't work for everyone. The company is having some expected growing pains. There is still a lack of clarity of ownership and direction of many areas.

Advice to Management

- Make sure you take the time to get to know people. Understand that it is very challenging for people to feel comfortable/safe enough to give you direct, open and honest feedback. No easy answers here except spending the time to build trust and psychological safety. - Sort out some of the basic company processes ASAP. Performance reviews, internal transfers, giving feedback to management.

Canva2019-08-07

"Great product"

Current Employee - Senior Android Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Canva full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product, lots of interesting engineering challenges, free lunches every day, "best place to work 2019"

Cons

The company is growing too fast and it has some issues restructuring itself to adapt to this fact. The company feels nostalgic about its early days and sometimes it's hard to feel like you are really a part of the product/company.

Canva2019-08-30

"I feel like the luckiest person coming to work each day. That sounds annoying but is totally true."

Current Employee - Operations in Surry Hills
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Canva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Trust has been incredible. I have reached higher than I even thought possible. The company has supported me or empowered me at ever turn. Of course there has been moments of discomfort and discontent but Canva has taught me that I can change things and make them happen.

Cons

We move so fast sometimes I forget the incredible amount we have achieved. We do celebrate our wins but it’s all a blur sometimes.

Canva2019-08-11

"Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Canva full-time for less than a year

Pros

super delicious food, good culture

Cons

Can't think of any cons, sorry

Canva2019-08-08

"So grateful to be a part of Canva. It’s given me some of the best learning I’ve done in my life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Canva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Life doesn’t always present itself with opportunities like this. Working at Canva truly has been like flying on a rocket ship and building it at the same time. Being a part of a company growing this quickly accelerates your personal growth in ways you won’t get many other places. Your career path is also accelerated - it’s less about where you’ve been and more about where you’re going at Canva. No matter your... background or credentials, you’ll be rewarded if you love solving big problems. Mel, Cliff and Cam complement each other in ways they only tend to write in startup success books. Each of them sets the standard in their area - and each of them brings a perspective that is both unique and crucial for the business to succeed. They care deeply about creating an atmosphere that fosters creativity, excellence, agility and most of all kindness and diversity. The sense of ambition inside the walls of Canva is second to none. The ‘anything is possible’ mentality can be found at all levels of the organisation. It’s certainly rubbed off on me, and is what’s inspired me to stay for years now. We have so much left to do and I’m pretty excited to be there to achieve it.

Cons

Growing quickly certainly has its challenges. Adding lots of people all the time can sometimes slow us down a bit, as we’re often shuffling desks, floors and sometimes buildings. Eventually you get so used to change that it doesn’t both you (I have) but if you’ve come from a really corporate environment it might take some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Don’t lose sight of your dreams as we get bigger, and please don’t lose the quirky celebrations and rituals! They’re a key part of what makes our culture magical and fun.

Canva2019-08-11

"An amazing place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Canva full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- There's lots of talented creative and driven people - Really interesting problems to solve as we scale - Having a positive impact on the world through our product - I've been approached by people when I'm on the street wearing a Canva tee who just stop and say how much they love our product. It's nice to know that our product is having a positive impact on the world. - Still feels like it's the beginning of... our journey, so there's lots of upside and growth opportunities.

Cons

It's growing really fast - which means there are lots of challenging problems to solve. If you aren't the type of person that likes learning rapidly, and solving problems, you probably won't enjoy it.

Advice to Management

Thank you for trying so hard to make everyone at Canva happy, whilst trying to hit the 'crazy big' goals we are always setting. It's not easy growing as fast as we are growing, I appreciate how much everyone is trying.

Canva2019-08-09
  9. "An absolute dream workplace!"

Current Employee - Content Coordinator in Sydney

I have been working at Canva full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly, every day I feel so lucky to be working here. The perks are incredible (breakfast and lunch, fully stocked bar, gourmet snacks, rooftop space, free yoga, education allowance... the list goes on!). The work is meaningful (Canva really lives by their motto of 'Be A Force For Good'). But it's the people that make this place extra special - they're absolute bloody legends! I'm hoping this review attracts even... more :)

Cons

None that I can think of.

Canva2019-08-12

"Canva has an engineering leadership problem"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Canva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Product, values and company culture are great. Maybe a bit over the top at times, but it's a positive and mostly enjoyable workplace.

Cons

Engineering leadership at Canva has some significant hurdles to overcome still, and this is mainly a problem caused by the top level, but it's propagated to the middle level too. They have a non-standard leadership structure, and insist on re-inventing the wheel in weird and wonderful ways. Leadership has been heavily influenced by engineers that have been around since the beginning, by initially insisting in... no structure, to realising the lack of it is a problem and ramming it down our throats. A hierarchy was swiftly created, with leads that have questionable experience/skill in leading large groups.

Advice to Management

Don't re-invent the wheel in regards to engineering leadership. Don't rely on employees who's only qualification is that they have been around since the beginning to know what they are doing in regards to growing a company to 10X scale.

Canva2019-08-07