Centro Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 5 Mar 2020

Centro Founder & CEO Shawn Riegsecker
Shawn Riegsecker
Pros
Cons
  • "The bonus structure changed almost yearly, never to the benefit of anyone who wasn't upper management(in 8 reviews)

• "Company is growing rapidly and as a result it seems some policies are enforced differently by department, creating a inconsistency(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Best Decision I've Ever Made"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

They truly empower us to be the expert in our field. They care! I've never felt more appreciated. Leadership across the company in on point. Work, life balance is truly a thing here. Benefits are great!

Cons

I would't say there really are any true cons, we all have bad days and nothing is perfect. But I have zero regrets coming to Centro.

Centro Response

April 10, 2020Centro

Thank you for your kind feedback! One of our proudest accomplishments is that our people feel empowered, appreciated, and supported. We’re excited to continue to set the example in the industry with people like you on the team! If you have any additional feedback or questions, please email us at tellusmore@centro.net. -EVP, Talent and Development

"No Egos - Great work environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People you work with: + People are willing to listen and take in your opinion (regardless of what level you/they are in) + People do not have huge egos (or at least they manageable) + People do good work (most of the time) Office: + New Toronto office is pretty cool, right at Union Station, part of WeWorks - so unlimited beers, and frequent events. Extra Stuff: + Above average pay (for Canada) + Standard benefits ( RRSP matching upto 4% of Salary, health, dental...) + Good work/life balance + Flexible work hours + Unlimited vacation

Cons

- Flexible work hours (sometime it gets hard to reach a decision when people are in the office at different times) In the previous years when the company was struggling some of the company goals were unrealistic, which caused us to not hit the bonus.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I`ve worked in many IT companies, Centro is one of the best. Good work/life balance. Unlimited vacation + home office when needed. Newest technologies. People, people, people!

Cons

Not the best location and office building in Toronto (amazing in Chicago). Hopefully will be changed soon.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

Led by a founder CEO who is really passionate about the products, and one of the few executives I've seen that leads the company in a very wholesome way with a focus on happiness, giving, collaboration, and truly caring for our customers and making their life better. Very smart and talented teams that collaborate well, and know how to produce kick-ass products while having fun. Great work-life balance.

Cons

There's really not much to complain about - I've been really happy working here.

Continue reading

"The recent bad reviews are a cry for help. Please help."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Centro full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance and unlimited vacation.

Cons

I am sad that current employees feel they can only resort to social media posts to voice their concerns about the company. This is because a) candid feedback is only acknowledged and addressed if it is positive and b) going to your manager or HR is unfortunately ineffective. So many current employees feel trapped when it comes to voicing true concerns or simply wanting support to address a negative issue. I can tell you, I am really discouraged that every single piece of negative input is viewed as the employee’s own fault or, even more disappointingly, not a culture fit. I can assure you plenty of strong employees with a solid commitment to Centro feel their negative input gets turned on its head. It couldn’t possibly be our leadership’s fault, right? Of course not! It’s our problem to solve. That’s what we are told. Or if you don’t like it, please see the door. Old Centro would not even recognize today’s Centro with how clueless (or ignorant) it is to the current climate.

Continue reading

"Love Centro, Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Media Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been at Centro for 3 years now and have no intentions of leaving anytime soon. Centro has an amazing work-life balance, benefits and colleagues. Everyone is so friendly and is always willing to lend a helping hand if you are ever in a bind. If someone leaves and goes to a typical "agency" company they always end up reaching back out a few months later expressing how they wish they had never left in the first place!

Cons

- More emphasis on Basis vs Services - Promotions are very difficult for deserving employees

"Unable to lead change"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Centro full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance; decent perks

Cons

Mismanaged teams and leadership that doesn't seem to care. They lost some of their best employees because of this and don't seem to notice or care about the loss of talent. Find yourself a place that truly cares.

"Good for a year or two"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Centro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited vacation, hella snack opportunities, good work/life balance, culture depends on the office, coworkers are cool and make this place less annoying on any given day

Cons

People are overworked Company seems focused on making sure new managers have all the training they need (a good thing), but also backwards. Why not make an effort to notice people WHO WOULD MAKE GOOD MANAGERS and proactively train them to step into those types of roles? There are so many people in management roles that are simply bad at managing ... leading to frustrated employees who have to manage up, do all the extra work for their bonehead boss, all the while getting zero of the credit. Total boy’s club @ the top. Especially in sales. Not a man? Good luck working your way in unless you feel like being Shawn’s latest yes man, or you’re a hot chick. Leadership keeps pushing a message to their employees that if we all just work a LITTLE HARDER we’ll be profitable. No mention of the fact that the company’s vision and leadership is all over the place. Trust me, people are working plenty hard ... with fewer resources, no bonuses, no raises, etc. Where is the motivation to stay? Nobody wins here except for execs, who have been here so long. Some of them have NO experience in the departments/teams they’re running, are completely clueless, and push work off to already overworked staff. I assume they’re still here because they’re waiting to be bought out. $$$ Some of the female executives could stand to take a sexism 101 course. Career growth is 100% lip service. In fact, there’s company acknowledgement that people leave due to lack of career growth - so what’s the company’s solution to the problem? Push out more messaging about how it’s so great to grow your career here, with no actual evidence of that being a fact for employees and no actual plan of attack to make that happen for employees. It’s verbal dust.

Continue reading

"Great Place To Learn About Programmatic"

Former Employee - Customer Success Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at Centro full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Awesome people; there's definitely a "family" vibe here - A great hands-on learning experience for all things programmatic (if you would've asked me what a "pixel" was 3 years ago, I would have thought you were asking me about the quality of my phone's camera...) - Flexible time off - Great work/life balance - Snacks and bevvies (yay!) - Above average salary - Open-door policy with management (speaking for the Toronto office; I've never worked in the other offices) - We're encouraged to give feedback on product updates, and share feature requests from clients The people I have worked with both in the Toronto office, and [virtually] within the offices in the US, are friendly and knowledgeable in what they do. There are people here who I will miss, and I wish I could pack them up into my laptop bag and take them with me to my next adventure.

Cons

- Snacks and bevvies (I've gained 10 lbs since being here... thanks a lot...) - Bonuses are not consistent. We're paid well, and a lot of companies don't have bonus structures anyway, but this is still worth acknowledging. - Changes in "structure/management/product focus/etc." is exciting in my opinion, but can understandably be confusing at times. This seems to be the norm at a lot of tech companies. Not quite a "con", but it's something to be aware of if change makes you uncomfortable.

Continue reading

"Great People, Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Centro full-time

Pros

The people are the best part of Centro. You are actually looked at as a person and are cared about, very strong family vibe. Media folks are extremely knowledgeable and hardworking. Great benefits package, but the biggest benefits are the work life balance (which every company promises, but Centro actually keeps that promise) and the friendships made here. CEO and upper management actually make an effort to know the people they work with, never had a senior level exec care know more about me than just my name, or care about workload, ask if I need help, etc. It's refreshing and uncommon in this industry.

Cons

Centro does reorganize frequently, and there are definitely growing pains, but the people who work here are strong enough to weather the changes.

Found 29 reviews