Christie's Reviews

Updated 4 Aug 2020

3.8
Christie's CEO Guillaume Cerutti
Guillaume Cerutti
Pros
  • "Highly recommend for recent graduates interested in working in the art world(in 32 reviews)

• "rewarding experience, you will learn a lot(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Stringent performance expectations from management which means very long hours(in 33 reviews)

• "Largest con is definitely the low pay for entry level positions(in 29 reviews)

1. "Artwork"

Former Employee - Business Support Administrator in London, England

I worked at Christie's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stimulating, exciting. Friendly, generous, and educational

Cons

Not much training to progress

2. "Loved it"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Christie's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast-Paced Wide range of responsibilities, no two days are the same Get to see a lot of art/objects that come through for appraisal and consignment

Cons

Depending on your position, you may work irregular hours

Continue reading

July 22, 2020HR Apprentice

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, we are really pleased to hear that on balance you would recommend working at Christie’s, it is great that you had a wide range of responsibilities and had the opportunity to see lots of artwork. Regarding your comment around irregular hours, due to the seasonal nature of the business we may require colleagues to work more varied working patterns depending on their role, and we would flag this during the application process should this be required.

3. "Great People, Room to Grow, Low Pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Christie's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive colleagues, incentives to grow within the company

Cons

Low pay and HR does not seem to be very flexible when negotiating salary

July 22, 2020HR Apprentice

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we are pleased to hear that you work with supportive colleagues and that you have found there are incentives to grow within Christie’s. Regarding your comments about salary, we aim to be in the upper quartile for our sector and we continually keep this under review.

"n/a"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Christie's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits, time off, work life balance, ability to work around priceless pieces of art, ability to work autonomously

Cons

pay, poor management team, poor support, large workload for little compensation, overstretched on tasks

July 22, 2020HR Apprentice

Thank you for providing your thoughts, it always great to hear from current employees. We are pleased to hear that our employee benefits are a ‘pro’ of working here; we are keen to keep these relevant and we have introduced a ‘Flexible Fitness Fund’ in the last year alone. Furthermore, we are happy to hear that you are able to maintain a good work/life balance. Regarding your comments about compensation, we aim to be in the upper quartile for our sector and keep this continually under review. Please do not hesitate to reach out to your line manager for support if you are feeling overstretched.

5. "Amazing time there!"

Former Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I worked at Christie's full-time

Pros

Interesting business and beautiful art.

Cons

A bit political, especially in the art departments.

July 14, 2020HR Apprentice

Thank you for providing your thoughts. We are pleased to hear that you have a positive outlook on the business and that you found it interesting working here. We continually review areas for improvement within the business, and try to enhance the culture and environment we work in.

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Christie's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative, supportive team, opportunity for growth

Cons

I don’t have any complaints

June 2, 2020Recruitment Director

Thank you for you review, we are really pleased that you are enjoying working for Christie's!

"Inspiring place to work"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Christie's full-time

Pros

Incredible art, some lovely and talent colleagues, fun place to work

Cons

Salary is low and pay grades are not transparent

Continue reading

June 2, 2020Recruitment Director

Thank you for your review we are pleased that on balance you enjoyed your time with us, we have invested alot of money in the last twelve months into pay competitiveness and we always aim to be top quartile in our sector, but we acknowledge there is still work to do in 'socialising' our job family groups and pay scales.

8. "Welcoming Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Christie's full-time for less than a year

Pros

The colleagues are so welcoming and happy to help, there really is an ethos of learning . The team I am with are always open to my opinions and ideas. Nice environment to work in, and great exposure to the art world.

Cons

Nothing that I have encountered yet

April 15, 2020HR Apprentice

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a positive review of our business. We are really pleased to hear that your colleagues are welcoming and happy to help! It is also great to hear that you would recommend working at Christie's.

9. "amazing opportunity!"

Current Employee - Work Experience in London, England

I have been working at Christie's part-time

Pros

- you really learn on the job, get to meet wonderful people and are kept busy

Cons

- you are barely paid

March 25, 2020HR Apprentice

Thank you for providing your thoughts on a work experience placement in our King Street office. We are really pleased to hear that it was an amazing opportunity, giving you the chance to learn on the job and meet our wonderful colleagues. With regards to your comments about being ‘barely paid’, our work experience placements are unpaid because they are ‘work shadowing’ experiences and are designed to be only a couple of weeks to allow participants to experience a ‘taster’ of the auction world.

10. "Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Christie's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, great company, great time

Cons

It's New York so it's stressful, but at the end of the day, if you surround yourself with great coworkers, you will make it through!

March 25, 2020HR Apprentice

Thank you for giving us a Glassdoor review. It is really pleasing to hear that the company and people are great and that Christie’s is an amazing place to work – we agree!

Found 361 reviews