Cielo Employee Reviews about "pinstripe"

Updated 10 Feb 2020

3.6
Cielo Founder & CEO Sue Marks (no image)
Sue Marks
Pros
  • "Flexibility to work from home, positive and fun culture, vast opportunity to grow, great leadership(in 45 reviews)

• "Excellent flexibility that allowed for optimizing work/life balance(in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work load is high - lack of work/life balance(in 29 reviews)

• "I worked at this company when it was still called "Pinstripe" and I've seen dramatic, negative changes spanning over half a decade(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "pinstripe"

Return to all Reviews

"Please Read: Do NOT work here"

I worked at Cielo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I met some great people.

Cons

If you're on this site it's probably to gain a better understanding of how Cielo treats their employees and, above all, if the employees are genuinely happy. I worked at this company when it was still called "Pinstripe" and I've seen dramatic, negative changes spanning over half a decade. One of my biggest regrets was staying at this company for as long as I did. There were days when I felt physically ill from working in Cielo's fear-based, toxic work environment. I remember asking my friends if they ever felt afraid to go to work and seeing baffled, concerned looks on their faces. That was a huge red flag. Cielo's management is nothing like I've ever experienced before. Calling employees out on the spot in meetings to make examples of them, giving mixed messages regarding expectations and goals, and severe micromanaging. Would you like to log every single task you complete into a computer system, note the task, note how long it took, and quantify how many of those tasks you were able to get done? And then discuss it at length in weekly team meetings... and then be required to keep a daily log of your candidate contacts... and then be required to write an end-of-the-week weekly report... and then discuss all of this in mandatory bi-weekly meetings? You'll be required to report on every single task you complete and how long it took you to complete it. And if something doesn't look right, you'll be reprimanded. If you question management, you'll be reprimanded again. Also, beware of job security here. If there isn't a company-wide lay off then you have to make sure you're exceeding your manager's performance expectations. I never felt comfortable simply meeting expectations. The pressure they put on their employees is unbelievable. Please consider what I'm saying in this review. Unless you really need the money, I promise there are better companies out there.

Corporate Communications Manager

Hi, this is Marissa Geist, COO. Cielo has gone through a lot of change during your time here, and it’s disappointing that you read that you felt them as negative. We’re growing up as an organization, and employees with tenure like yours have been instrumental in helping us make a lot of positive changes across the company. I know we’ve made some mistakes along the way, but we’ve learned from each of those and the projects we’re working on now to evolve our operating model, accelerate our growth, and enhance our technology roadmap will give us an even stronger foundation for long-term success. Each of the tracking mechanisms you referenced is intended to measure activity to ensure appropriately-staffed teams and balanced workloads – not to micro-manage or measure performance. We’re working to automate our core systems and update our reporting tools to avoid the manual nature of how we currently track activity. The goal is to use the data from this reporting to grow our team members’ versatility, leverage their expertise and ultimately, empower them to focus on the aspects of their job that they love. I hope you know the impact you made during your time here – for your candidates, your client and Cielo. Surely you accomplished a lot in your 6+ years and I hope the skills and experience you built here will serve you well in the next chapter of your career.

"It's a Purple Squirrel kind of company, it's that good!"

4.0
    Former Employee - Director in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Cielo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Development, Vision, Diversity, Performance, Opportunity, Leadership culture =freedom to lead. I have always wanted to work for Cielo/Pinstripe. For years I networked and dripped on my contacts there. Always at the top of the Bakers Dozen and everyone only has good things to say. I met Sue at a convention and she graciously connected with me on LI. As I had reached the upward limit at a former employer I reached out to Sue and she connected me with her people and a week later I had an offer. It's amazing how the stars align sometimes. That's a great thing about Cielo, when they're ready to move they don't slow down they GO! From the first day everything was really good. Great peers, an excellent cleint, awesome training and a boss who has an incredible talent of drawing the best of people. I ended up reporting to 3 different people over 18 months and all thee are top notch industry professionals who lifted my personal level of engagement and performance. They gave me the opportunity to participate in the sales cycle and to be a leader in the Diversity and Inclusion initiative. My development was awesome! Most importantly I was trusted to lead and run my business. I never felt the heavy hand of micromanagement and was given the freedom to build a team that exceeded my own expectations. I felt I was a trusted business leader and that there was more leash available than I needed to run the business. Cielo has an amazing vision of the future and I have no doubt that the future is bright for this great company. The best thing about my time at Cielo was my peers. We had a group of about 10 Directors who all became incredibly supportive of each other. The friendship around the water cooler will be my most cherished memory. Boy, I miss that now! As often happens things change, in my case I had a client transition, and while I think there might have been an opportunity to stay that wasn't really clearly presented. I hold no hard feelings there. I left Cielo better than I came and I hope that I added a bit to Cielo in return. I love this company, I believe in Sue, and you never know, stars align sometimes. #Philativity

Cons

Limited to one expense report a month stinks so bad! Performance forecasting can be a bit challenging sometimes, I don't think i'm supposed to name the tool but if you know...you know.

Corporate Communications Manager

Thanks so much for adding your voice to the dialogue. This is Sue Marks, and I’m so happy we connected on LinkedIn after we met at the Conference. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience with Cielo - it's rewarding to me to read that you had the opportunity to lead without boundaries, to engage in our D&I initiatives and to grow in your career. It’s exactly the kind of experience I wish for each and every Cielo associate around the world. And while I know there are always ways we can improve, if we surface those issues and address them together, authentically, openly and honestly, we’ll always be that special place we are today. We will certainly "keep on keeping on" and it's the relationships that you mentioned that will keep Cielo at the top. We have the right people, the right teams, the right plan and I know the best is yet to come! Thank you again for your enthusiasm and feedback. I wish you the best in your career and who knows? Maybe the stars will align and our paths will cross again someday #philosophy #sueisms.

"Systematically poor business - read for inside knowledge"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Cielo full-time

Pros

Some great people to work with Can work from home when able to They have a nice chillout area in the "bunker" with a ping pong table.

Cons

Writing selectively as I both know the individuals who respond to these ratings, and I was in a position of inside knowledge and awareness of practices - Very poor and at times illegal treatment of employees contravening Employment Law - Systematic overworking of recruiters to breaking point - Very poor Senior Management, making incompetent decisions and agreements that are impossible for the delivery teams to achieve..who are then held responsible - Sub par recruitment tools for the teams to deliver - Disorganised and poor communication between Senior Management and delivery teams - Company hasn't paid the annual bonus for some time, yet sell it when hiring you - Company hasn't paid delivery teams their personal bonus on numerous occasions despite delivery teams hitting their personal goals. Confirms its not a bonus scheme based upon personal performance...which again they sell you to lower your basic salary expectations. - Very high staff attrition, never seen anything like it. - Senior Management and the individuals responding to these reviews talk about "change, optimisation, improvement, and they are on a journey". Same words they were talking about a long time ago. Its been a long time since Cielo (once Ochre House and Pinstripe) merged and days are long gone when you can blame these inherent and constantly reviewed issues on old stories. The issue is that the culture never changed and is still there. What's worse is the very people publically responding to these reviews are very aware of the massive issues and unacceptable practices and do nothing to resolve them. It's all clever PR and smoke - Clients are consistently lied to, Cielo consistently fail to achieve service level agreements and loose accounts (due to many of the issues above). - Here's something they don't tell you: You will likely be made redundant if your account is lost, and they don't have an immediate slot to put you in to. I've seen many recruiters loose permanent jobs (aren't perm jobs...perm?) through no fault of their own because Cielo looses an account. Your permanent employment is entirely dependant on project based recruitment. Think about that.... This is the worst RPO company I have ever known, with unacceptable practices behind the scenes, incompetent leadership, misleading internal recruitment, non secure employment, a shrinking client list, and a culture that on the surface is inclusive and positive, but behind the scenes is far from that. Think of it like Game of Thrones, except in the show even the Lords get killed off. In Game of Cielo its only you guys, management looks out for eachother. Over to Cielo for another cleverly worded canned response, thanking me for my review, discussing how change is a constant journey, and writing the usual nonsensical wordy smoke screen.

Continue reading

"Unhappy place to work; does not have capabilities promised to clients"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cielo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Thought leadership & Brand materials excellent. New Operational Leader and MD are positive leaders. A lot of nice people on an individual level.

Cons

There are a lot of unhappy employees and teams, making it a frustrating and politicised environment given its small size. A challenging place to work, with few rewards for the high performance expected. It is a business that is still going through organisational changes which should have been dealt with better over the last few years and months. Over-promising expertise/knowledge that 'already exists' to clients when there is none contributes to the issues & pressure. Excessive pressure can be put on teams to deliver but it feels like there is little real consultation of SMEs within the business - one-way communication. Poor management (particularly of central functions) leads to friction and decisions that aren't supported. Different cultural groups (Ochre House, Pinstripe, Cielo staff) and inspirational leaders leaving/having left, ongoing waves of redundancies, perceived ongoing secrecy/surprise announcements and a loss of respect (from most levels, in most teams) contribute to this impression. Feels like a lot of people want to leave but it is a shame given previous successes and some nice individuals to work with.

Corporate Communications Manager

Thank you for your balanced feedback. We recognise and value the hard work of all our colleagues in delivering an unmatchable service to our customers whilst we evolve and optimise our business. The organisational changes we make are structured to support our focus towards our ambitious vision, and we know that change will continue to be a feature of working with Cielo. However, your advice is heard and understood, and we will continue to communicate our plans and include everybody on the journey so that the experience of change feels more structured, positive and exciting.

"Not a good company to work for....."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Cielo full-time

Pros

"if" you were liked you could work remote. amazing peers. That's about it.

Cons

where to begin..... - under paid - upper management is unprofessional, not confidential, clicky, and plays favorites - they over promise to the clients (which then is your fault for not delivering an unrealistic work load) - overworked. zero work life balance. They expect you to work 12 hour days for very little pay - if you ask for help from your lead or CSM they say they will help you but actually don't - they don't actually care about their employees, they just care about the numbers - the company already had to change their name once due to negative reviews (that should tell you something right there. Look up Pinstripe) - turn over is extremely high - quality of management is very poor. - benefits were not good - they don't promote often. (I worked with a peer that did more than her lead and she was a recruiter) Bottom line, if you were a corporate or professional recruiter before, don't consider this company. You will consistently be asking yourself where the camera's are because this has to be a really bad joke.

Continue reading

"Exciting Projects - changing environment - bad company culture"

4.0
    Former Employee - Lead Recruiter

I worked at Cielo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Highly international and multicultural environment Fast paced and driven environment Exciting projects at major customers Great opportunity to gain experience within Recruitment flexible working environment (home based, customer based, central located teams)

Cons

company culture changed since Ochrehouse and Pinstripe merged - changed not in a positive way partially bad internal communication from upper Management salary and bonus structure very UK centric customer focus - core European regions are less driven less differentiation from competitors since company merger

Director of Central Marketing

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your career at Cielo and your advice for our management team. This will be shared with senior leadership.

"Used to be great when it was Ochre House"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Cielo full-time

Pros

When the company was Ochre House, there was a real sense of community and shared vision - perhaps that was because it was headed up by Sue Brooks who has a passion for people, partnership and delivery. I loved my time at Ochre House and couldn't see me leaving at any point in the short or medium term...until the partnership with Pinstripe and Cielo was born.

Cons

Once the US/UK partnership took place between Pinstripe & OH happened, the culture changed pretty quickly. There seemed to be a real desire to turn it into someone's 'empire' rather than building on the already good foundations that had been built. A lot of attrition took place and fundamentally, the business (in the UK at least) lost a lot of good people, knowledge and passion). It's a real shame.

Human Resources

Thank you for your solid advice for our management teams. We strive to be a great company for our employees and your feedback will help us maintain that.

"No accountability, financial gain and image are king"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Cielo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Successful organization, room for growth if you're deemed worthy, experience looks awesome on a resume, competitors will seek you out, cushy office job where hard work is recognized by your colleagues, steady pay, nice corporate headquarters, free coffee.

Cons

There is no accountability within certain departments. For many, you'll love your direct peers and hopefully your leaders (I can name a number of leaders at this company who are adored). But if you do not mesh well with your leader's personality, be prepared to either fit in/fall in line or be forced out. If you challenge ideas or raise concerns about the way things are, you will be looked at - not as a concerned employee, someone who cares about his/her colleagues - but as someone who is a threat to the company's success. Unless you are a close friend to those in charge and/or related, then you're golden. You will be expected to work until your work is done, regardless of hours. Overtime pay does not exist. Whether a Friday evening, Sunday afternoon or 4:00 am on a Monday morning. Your work is expected to be done, and blame will be handed down until it falls on your shoulders. Some people don't mind that, some are - rightly so - burnt out by it. To each their own. I worked at Cielo for several years. I adored my department, my colleagues, the work, and what we built over this period of time. I was let go and told it was not for performance-related reasons. I was told my personality no longer fit with the company's vibe and that I was giving voice to concerns that should've been kept quiet. Perfectly understandable, business is business. Two direct colleagues of mine were told they deserved to be let go as well, for the same reasons, but they were kept on because the department couldn't afford to have their positions open for any period of time and that everything that had happened up to that point would be forgotten, pretended it never existed. Leaders make mistakes all the time. It's considered a strong suit or the more popular buzzword of "failing forward." But if you are at a lower level and make a mistake that costs your team any amount of productivity, your neck is on the line - nobody will have your back. You will be held accountable, while those in charge of you will not. Be "innovative" but don't dare make a decision that costs the company in any way. If you're looking for a job where you can come in, put your head down, do your work 50-55-60 hours per week, and only care about the paycheck, Cielo is the right company for you. If you want to lead, you better join as a leader because they will not accept anyone who tries to step beyond their job description (unless it's working late into the evening). You will not be given second chances, no matter how important your contribution or how much you've given to the company. People at all levels are fired regularly. Rarely is any sort of notice given. I know of a colleague who was part of his/her team's year ahead meeting. Discussed all sorts of things that were planned for the year ahead. This colleague was integral to plans for the upcoming year(s). The following week after hours, this person was called (over the phone) by their superior and told to not come back the next morning. As a thank you for "service" the person would receive two weeks severance. Let go without notice, forgotten, no thought of life situation or contributions. I know of other colleagues who, regardless of why they were let go or quit voluntarily, have been escorted it out of the building, at exactly 5:00 pm (closing time, so i.e. in front of everyone), with a giant box like some sort of criminal. Several Glassdoor reviews have just recently been written. They're short, concise and have nothing but praise for the company. If Cielo employees believe this, then they should post it. But while with Cielo, we were urged to positively review the company. They track these reviews. They often respond to them. They pour over them, and they make sure any negative review is deleted or buried by 3-4-5 gushing reviews filled with buzzwords like "innovative", "SMART PEOPLE!", "fast paced", "challenging", "pursuit of excellence." These reviews were almost certainly calculated. If you want a truly honest review of the company, sort by rating and scroll down to the ones with 2-3 stars, or take a look at the company's previous page when it was named Pinstripe. It feels as if today the company cares more about image than what's actually happening within the company. Cielo is a business, through and through. Every decision is made for the financial gain of the business. If you fit that mold, you've likely found the company for you. The frustrating part is, Cielo pretends it's more than a business, that it's a place to grow, fall in love with the mission/values, a place where the company cares about its employees and their well-being. They scream this across all social media pages, in company-wide gatherings and on job descriptions. This is a great mission, if only it were true. Cielo specializes in hiring great talent for large organizations, so they know how exactly to lure the best talent to their company: preach culture, engagement, growth, etc. In reality, the company is a business strictly dedicated to financial gain and global growth. This is evident in its "make the year campaign" each year. Your bonus hinges on the company meeting its financial goals. If the company does this, you are rewarded and praised. If the company doesn't, if the numbers don't perfectly align with targets, your yearly contributions are looked at as a failure. You didn't work enough hours. You didn't make enough calls. You didn't care enough, give enough, do enough. Regardless of how hard you worked, you failed because the company failed. The company cares about the company, and you are valuable if you contribute to the company's success. I get it, that's Corporate America. It's just a shame that Cielo pretends to be more than that. It could be. It claims to be. Maybe it really does want to be. It's not. There are many wonderful people across Cielo. Unfortunately, those in charge (my opinion) are holding the organization back from being a place you can call home for your entire career. Some people fit this mold. Some people don't. It all depends on what you are looking for in a career.

Human Resources

Thank you for your response. We value input from our alumni and appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences.

"Great for college grads, but a dead end"

Former Employee - Senior Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Cielo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at Cielo (formerly Pinstripe) are amazing. I had the best co-workers, some that I still keep in touch with today. The company puts on fun events such as potlucks and costume contests, so they just really know how to make things fun. The vacation time is also more than you'd typically receive at other companies. It is easy to move around in the company and gain a lot of experience. Overall, a really great place to start your career.

Cons

Compensation. This is the sole reason I left the company after being there for 3 years. The pay just doesn't make sense. Employees in the same role/job title sometimes make more money, or employees who have been with the company for less time make more money, or you get promoted but they claim its a "lateral move" so you don't actually get a pay raise. I asked for more money and was told we would "re-visit" the topic at a later date but that never happened. My request for a raise wasn't ever entertained in the slightest. I would have been happy with even $1 more per hour, just something to show that I was valued and my 3 years with the company was getting me somewhere. When I left the company I received a very significant increase in pay for doing similar work. The company also tends to take on more work/clients regardless of whether or not they have the manpower to take on the work which leads to overworked and under paid employees.

Human Resources

Yes, you’re right, we are going to mention that we regularly review our compensation and benefits packages to ensure that they are competitive within our industry and the markets we serve. But we’ll also share that we are glad you had a positive experience overall and are disappointed that salary alone led you to seek employment elsewhere. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback!

"Promotion opportunities, great place to work!"

5.0
    Recruiter in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Cielo

Pros

Cielo (formerly pinstripe) is a great place to work, as long as you are not afraid of work. For those of us who like a competitive environment, it's the place to be. Career advancement is achievable, your efforts are recognized, like I said you have to be willing to really work, it's not a place you can just clock in and coast, which is what I love about Cielo. leaders at Cielo respect employees opinions and ideas.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. There is free coffee, disposable forks and spoons, endless supply of tea and hot chocolate. What more could you want!

Human Resources

Thank you for sharing about your positive experience working for Cielo!

Found 28 reviews