Cloud Imperium Games Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Cloud Imperium Games Reviews

Updated 18 Jul 2019

Found 47 reviews

3.7
Cloud Imperium Games CEO Chris Roberts (no image)
Chris Roberts

"Great place to work and friendly people"

Former Employee - Senior Environment and Vehicle Artist in Wilmslow, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at the UK branch, Foundry 42. There I had the pleasure of working alongside a fantastic team of friendly and welcoming people all with a passion for creating a fantastic game and for pushing technological boundaries

Cons

Star Citizen is mostly an open beta, PC experience and so in some ways it lacks the satisfaction of seeing a finished title on shelves before moving on to the next game that one might experience at other studios.

Cloud Imperium Games2019-07-18
  2. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Programmer in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talented people Great management Lots of progression We also have an onsite barista :)

Cons

Sometimes the scale of the game can be quite daunting

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your staff

Cloud Imperium Games2019-06-21

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed working atmosphere and environment, everyone is super friendly! Minimal crunch Great benefits The company cares about their employees

Cons

No cons that I can think of at all really!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Cloud Imperium Games2019-01-10

"An ambitious project, with great people but not a clear direction"

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Working on a massive project (Star Citizen and Squadron 42), loved by a lot of players - Working with some really great people, experts in their fields - Working without the pressure of a publisher

Cons

- Especially for a crowd-funded project, it feels that there is no clear direction or destination - Somewhat unorganized

Cloud Imperium Games2018-12-09

"An Engineer's perspective"

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Challenging work, creating a game at a scale and detail not seen before - Plenty of extremely talented and knowledgable engineers to learn from - Good working atmosphere and environment - You feel connected to a fantastic community of backers that play the game - Minimal crunch

Cons

- The small percentage of people online that try to drag the company down, usually through lies and misinformation

Advice to Management

Keep on improving development processes and practice, we're going in the right direction.

Cloud Imperium Games2018-10-15

"Generally Happy with CIG!"

Current Employee - Gameplay Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Genuine people, awesome talent pool and scope of the project is unprecedented. It's incredible to see over 500 employees worldwide working toward a single goal. Benefits are great- employees have the flexibility to work from home, medical, dental, and vision coverage are free, paid time off, holidays, and subsidized transportation benefits are provided. We also get the entire week off during the Christmas... holidays and have received end of year bonuses as well (apart from receiving increases from yearly performance reviews)

Cons

long hours which is expected in the gaming industry. but the company tries to combat crunch times by providing us free food and gives us time off in lieu of staying late so it works out. The biggest issue I had was with this recruiter who was absolutely rubbish in his job. He was supposed to help us find candidates, and in interviews he would spend the entire time talking and promoting himself, made empty promises... to our candidates which was never approved, amongst many other issues we had. He was very rude and unprofessional towards candidates and really tainted the company name. I made a formal complaint to HR together with several managers who had this experience and thank god he was removed from his position.

Advice to Management

Please double check past references for recruiters as they are representing the company and we cannot have that experience again. in terms of development, better communication across studios would be ideal as different time zones does have it's challenges.

Cloud Imperium Games2018-09-19

"Cig"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good cantina, lots of fancy furniture and amenities. We spent a lot of time in the office so it was nice to have these things. Fans often send food. Fantastic opportunities for advancement.

Cons

For software devs 1. Low pay imo 2. The crunch is real, constant, and often ends up being purposeless. 3. Management does not actually know what product is being made. I don't mean that in a "they are dumb" sense. Most middle management I worked with are actually effective and fair to employees. I mean that they literally do not know what they are supposed to be having us produce. It makes it hard to work on... "your piece" so to speak. 5. Theres a serious braindrain effect here. For Fans 1. Much of what the upper management has said in a 10 for the chair man, presentations etc is not really realistic for the game in my opinion 2. Be nicer to your fellow fans. Their like/dislike of the game by any one fan/detractor will not affect the game's outcome. 3. The team wants to give you a great game, they (as I am gone) need your support more than ever before. 4. Marketing is often created by a separate company. Be aware of this and adjust your expectations accordingly. The new medical ship is a perfect example. The team are handed a ship concept and must create a game around it.

Advice to Management

Set expectations with your fans. Use one of the weekly shows to speak about the product we are making.

Cloud Imperium Games2018-08-21

"HR Department is a Shocking Mess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmslow, England

I worked at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Development teams are over-worked and the project has no real direction, however many developers are doing their best to keep the project on track.

Cons

HR has no clue what they are doing, especially in the UK and US offices. Constantly making mistakes, and terrible at the recruitment process and gave many bad / negatives impressions and experiences to potential employees. The Studios will never grow whilst these HR people are in place.

Advice to Management

Change your Entire HR team, they are useless and unprofessional.

Cloud Imperium Games2018-09-15

"Way too stressfull and unorganised"

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

+The peoples you work with Can be the best in the industry. + free drinks +free fruits + Impressive project that could definitely become a benchmark in the industry.

Cons

- Unfortunately a lot of those talented people fled the place with the very same outlook on the company. - The organisation is ridiculous and you can be working on the same thing for a year or two and see it being restarted for the 4 th time because they don't really know what they want. It happened many time to me that my work had to please my lead then the person above him and finally Chris Roberts himself.... Sometime Chris would be happy about it and then suddenly decide it wasn't what he wanted. - Moral of the team is really low - Management has a close look on everything you do and monitors it really closely knowing every time you are not doing what you are supposed to and sending a mail to the whole team about it in a very aggressive way. You will feel like you are at school sometime, which truly isn't great and everybody hope they stopped with those kind of mails. - A lot of juniors have been made seniors in 3 years or less with not even a single title shipped simply because, a lot of the seniority left the company. - Incredibly stressful with some inconsistent deadlines coming out of nowhere with work having to be a made in a month or so for a video presentation, requiring people to crunch incredible hours and coming on the weekend to work. - Salaries seems high but when you realize you are working 9h minimum each day, it isn't that good at all.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding that game making is a very creative process and requires a bit of freedom and less control over what people do or don't. everybody I know worked hard and sometime still get put back in place simply because they were seen on youtube for a minute or two . It creates an environment where everybody is looking over their shoulder stressed of being caught not working for a minute. even when those... same people keep their deadlines, do overtime and come to work on weekends.

Cloud Imperium Games2018-08-21

"Senior Artist"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in Wilmslow, England

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like to develop current project

Cons

The communication is a bit struggle between different time zone office.

Cloud Imperium Games2018-04-27