Cover image for Combined Insurance

Combined Insurance

Engaged Employer

Combined Insurance

Add a Review

Combined Insurance Employee Reviews about "people"

3.3

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email

Found 156 of over 1K reviews

Updated 30 Nov 2023

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "As an agent you make your own pay and you have great training(in 125 reviews)
  • "Benefits are great but not immediate(in 40 reviews)
  • "People were great and very conscious(in 37 reviews)
  • "Flexible schedules to work around family needs.(in 21 reviews)
  • "Great supplemental insurance products(in 20 reviews)
Cons
  • "Commission Only and training is UNPAID.(in 46 reviews)
  • "The management is poor and not professional.(in 45 reviews)
  • "Territory managers have poor coaching skills and therefore micromanage their agents.(in 32 reviews)
  • "Long hours (5 to 6 10 to 12 hour days) an excessive amount of meetings.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Upper management could care less about the agent themselves, except what the agents can put in managements pockets.(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "people"

Return to all Reviews
      14 Jan 2021
      Insurance Agent
      New Braunfels, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule but you have to work all the time

Cons

Overworked and underpaid; conning people into buying multiple policies

22 May 2015
        Internet Specialist
        Former Employee
        Glenview, IL
        Business Outlook

Pros

I met great people working here that I will be friends with for a long time. Great benefits and vacation- learned a lot about the business and became better at my field.

Cons

Management plays favorites to one particular person- they don't help the ones who need help succeed. Managers gossip and talk about other employees who work for them out loud. Senior recruiters refer to our prospective college interns in negative ways as well. The work environment is toxic. Getting candidates hired is an absolute joke as well. Hiring managers or market directors don't actually contact thee people you work hard to source and interview. It's a process of spinning your wheels and getting pennies in return. Bonuses are a joke as well. The company gives pennies as "raises" as well. Please take this advice and consider another recruiting opportunity before interviewing with Combined Insurance. Unless you are interested in going back to an environment that is by far worse than high school- by all means.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am truly sorry that your experience with Combined Insurance did not match our intention of being a great place to work. The working environment you have described is not at all reflective of the family-like atmosphere we strive to create. Please be assured that corrective steps have been taken. We strongly advise our employees to seek guidance from our HR department if at any time they no longer feel like they are in a supportive setting. Again, I am sorry to hear about your experience. Your valued feedback will surely help make Combined Insurance a better place to work.

2. Join the Combined Insurance team
        See Our Latest Jobs
          28 Jan 2014
          Sales Agent
          Orlando, FL
          Business Outlook

Pros

The initial training is good - they put you on a plane and send you to Chicago for two weeks all expenses pay. I did meet some really nice people, that seem to really care if I succeeded. In the initial week after you get back from Chicago your trainer or market manager will bust his butt trying to make sure you get your "initial award" in order to make everyone look good and prove to you that "Mr. Stones system really does work. The company is full of RA RA !! moments and you will definitely visit (drive) a lot of places the you didn't even know that existed.

Cons

After your first week in the field - It all basically on you!! They tell you, that you can make as much as you want to. However, that is not a completely a true statement - your selling a product that people really don't need. The people your selling to are basically living paycheck to paycheck and are on a very tight budget ($20 can be too much for them to pay each month). Your basically running around all day around town with a book going from business to business (cold) trying to sell a $20 accident policy. Most people are nice, but some are not. Your spending lots of money on gas and eating out and now with the new national health care law - people have to buy health care and combined products are not considered 'Major Medical'. This is not a good career choice - don't be fool by all the talk about making millions and making all your dreams come true. Your dreams will soon turn into financial nightmares.

8 Nov 2022
            Sales Support
            Former Employee, more than 3 years
            Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits. Pay is higher than other carriers but not sufficient for the volume of work. Some leaders get it and are good to work with.

Cons

The technology to support administration is severely lacking. Experienced multiple instances of unprofessional and toxic behavior from sales people with zero repercussions - only apologies and excuses from leadership. Did not know a single person within my area that wasn't stressed and burnout with the volume of work. Highly political environment. Lack of tools and consistency with processes.

16 July 2015
              Insurace Sales Agent
              Current Employee
              Business Outlook

Pros

Good training program you will meet a lot of new people that are willing to do a reallyt nice job.

Cons

Not management support, no really a good structure and you will have to work with your own resourses.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We strive to have top talent working for us and we are committed to recognizing and rewarding those who perform. We appreciate your recognition of our strong Sales School training program. Thank you again for your feedback. We wish you the best here at Combined Insurance!

1. 4.0
                1 Dec 2016
                Territory Manager In Kansas
                Current Employee, less than 1 year
                Wichita, KS
                Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent Company where your earning potential is unlimited as well as advancement. I started my career with Combined in February of 2016 became An Account Executive within three months and a Territory Manager within my first six months with this company. We at Combined believe in always having and Positive Mental Attitude, with the tools no training I have received I can accomplish anything. I recommend Combined Insurance to anyone whom has the desire to help protect people along with making a great living

Cons

This is not an 8-5 job, if you want to be successful you must work hard. Sometimes in the evening hours or weekends. I don't feel this to be a negative because I knew my hard work and dedication would pay off.

Thank you for taking the time to share this positive review! As a current employee, your review is especially important to us, and we appreciate your insights. As you mentioned, we prepare our agents to be successful through an intensive week of in-house training followed by continued support in the field. Our agents have a virtually unlimited income potential based on the volume of their sales, and, like you, many of our agents share with us that they truly appreciate being able to offer their clients products that help them in their time of need. Congratulations on your career advancements-it is our goal to promote and reward high performance. Thanks again for sharing this realistic review of what it takes to be successful here: the right attitude and hard work. We wish you all the best in your career here with us!

8 Jan 2015
                  Sales Representative
                  Atlanta, GA
                  Business Outlook

Pros

Good (extremely naive and brainwashed) corporate People

Cons

Dishonest, manipulative thieves. Their practices rival some of the most disingenuous ever in all my experiences! Just about everything they tell you will be untrue! The turnover rate has got to be well above 85%...who does that!

1. 3.0
                    23 May 2021
                    Administrator
                    Former Employee
                    Business Outlook

Pros

People are very nice and close to each other

Cons

Do things in old ways

1. 5.0
                      17 Nov 2016
                      Insurance Sales Agent
                      Current Contractor, more than 1 year
                      Lexington-Fayette, KY
                      Business Outlook

Pros

Get the opportunity to work with a great team of people that strive to see everyone succeed. You have the opportunity to win incentive trips and gifts throughout the year.

Cons

The only con I've dealt with is charge backs. I think we need to come up with a better way, weather it be a smaller advance upfront or something.

18 Sept 2012
                        Sales Representative
                        Former Employee, more than 1 year
                        Morgantown, WV
                        Business Outlook

Pros

There is also a pretty good support system in place. You get your license, go to a 2 week intensive training camp, and then you spend your first 13 weeks in the field with your TM as they help you get on your feet. Then after that you're supposed to get 1 day a week in the field with your TM as long as you are an agent. If at any time you need help or are struggling, you can reach out for an olive branch and get help. Many times I called my TM, MD, or even another contact in the company for help/advice and they take you under their wing to help you reach their goals. One of the main reasons I'm glad I worked for Combined was the general experience and insight gained from doing door-to-door sales. It is a really great opportunity to network and meet a lot of interesting people. It also taught me the value lesson of not passing judgement on people based on appearance, living conditions, etc. There were many instances in which I encountered individuals & families that lived in dilapidated housing & trailers with trash everywhere and their visual appearance and mannerisms very unkempt. However, you still must talk to these folks and more often than not, they turn out to be some of the nicest, most hospitable (and in some cases, wealthy) people you have ever met in your life. The job really helps you gain a new perspective on things and I will forever value the experiences and people I met. The job also allows for a significant amount of freedom. You are able (depending on the management style of your TM or MD) to set your own appointments and hours as you choose, so long as you meet your sales goals. There were many times that I didn't begin work until noon (but usually worked until 7 or 8PM), and also took days off without having to notify anyone. Note: I also had a laid back TM and great production so I had more freedom than others. The goal/incentive system is also pretty cool and can help you pad a resume. There are multiple incentive levels to win rings, pins and recognition with production. You can also win free trips, bonuses, etc. I won all of the awards, but I would have rather had the cash value than the hardware.

Cons

-For starters, most of the income numbers they share are fallacies. I was the #1 agent a year and I outsold all of my colleagues by a big margin, and I barely made a living. You are paid advance commissions. So when you sell a policy, you are paid half up front, 25% upon issuance of the policy, and the remaining 25% is broken into 3 payments - paid during month 10, 11, and 12 that the policy is in effect. You are also paid a 2-5% residual on the monthly payments every month thereafter. IF AND WHEN the policy is cancelled or does not get issued, you will receive a charge back to your account for any commissions paid (not pro-rated) and this is wipes out future commissions and is not taken into account when they calculate income #s. Keep in mind that this is supplemental insurance, so when money gets tight for customers, this is the very first thing that gets cut and it happens often. After 6 months I was congratulated for earning $30k and being on pace for $75k in the first year, but I had actually only totaled $17k in paychecks. -Territories also are not protected and neither are customers. Other agents can come by at any time and work in your area or sell to your existing contacts/customers (there have been several instances of agents rewriting policies, getting customers to cancel existing policies to sell a new one under their account) -Expenses are your own. You will spend tons of time driving, and the general rule of thumb is that you get 1 sale for every 5 solid appointments. There are lots of distant meetings to attend as well. You are not reimbursed for gas, meals, or anything else, save those receipts and claim it on your taxes. -You are also taxed at a flat rate of 20%. This was a shock for me when I was due a check for $2000 and my check came out to <$1600. -Your vehicle will endure substantial wear and tear. You have to be out selling if you want to make any money, regardless of holidays, weekends, weather, etc. Tons of miles. Gas will cost you upwards of $150-$200/week. -You will also spend an extensive amount of time on this job, and also at home. I found myself waking up at 730, getting ready and leaving at 830, first appointment/meeting at 9, last appointment at 7, home by 730, on the phone til 9, paperwork (lots of it) until 11 or 12, and then readying my outfit for the next day. -Leads are provided, but they are lacking. Most leads are just info on existing/former customers, and the info is usually wrong and they don’t qualify for anything. -Promotions are also difficult to get. You need consistently high production for 2 straight quarters (and this dries up the well). You have to drive farther to find new prospects, policies begin to drop (this affects your quality rating, and if it drops below 80% you are ineligible for promotions, incentives, and bonuses), and sales decline. -Making TM is even more difficult. You need to blow the doors off and set records with production, and there needs to be an opening. I made TM, but it was a nightmare. a spot opened up and I was called upon to "help out" agents to help them close sales. This kept me out of the field and my sales dropped. This continued for 2 months with the carrot constantly being dangled in front of me. I was also told I would have to relocate and would not be reimbursed. When I finally was promoted the MD made it sound like he was doing me a favor. At every turn I was reminded of this and it was as if I had to earn my keep. You get a $1000/week base salary for the first 13 weeks (then it drops to $1000/month) plus commission. You are required to field train your team of agents 3 days/week and expected to have them hit all of their goals and win awards, and you ride solo 2 days a week. It's impossible. I found myself working weekends and spending 12 hour days with my frustrated agents. Unless you have a team of crack agents, you will fail. -Longevity and retention is a huge problem with this company. You will be force fed these stories about people making tons of money and winning all of these awards, but those people are few and far between. THIS COMPANY WILL HIRE ANYBODY WITH A PULSE. Buyer beware! As long as you pass your insurance license test (which 70% of the time you have to pay for) you will be hired. One of my agents they hired was a 67 year old man that could barely read and mental math (as simple as 19 + 14) absolutely eluded him. Remember, this is supplemental insurance - the people that need it don't have money or benefits. Most prospects are unemployed or below the poverty line. People with money don't have a need for the products, and if you can't develop a need, they won't buy -OVERALL - this is a decent job if you are strapped for cash and need it quick, or if you are looking to build some initial real world experience. If you are already an experienced sales agent, I would go elsewhere with a better product portfolio where you will be more successful.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 156 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Want the inside scoop on your own company?

Join your Company Bowl™ for anonymous work chats.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Customer Service

can you give me some tips on how to successfully pass an interview for a customer service job as a 17 years old?

0 Comments

HR Generalist

If asked what type of management style to you prefer? How do you feel about micromanagement? How do you answer this professionally? Nobody likes micromanagement so why ask? Maybe bc the manager there does?

2 Comments

Morgan Stanley

In an interview is it a good practice to draw examples for answering situational questions from the most recent and relevant experience or should I draw examples from other previous experiences as well?

0 Comments

Glassdoor has 1,044 Combined Insurance reviews submitted anonymously by Combined Insurance employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Combined Insurance is right for you.