Combined Insurance "sales school" Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Combined Insurance Employee Reviews about "sales school"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Account executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Farmingdale, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Farmingdale, NY (US)

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company if you’re excellent in sales.

Cons

Racism
    Favoritism
    Bullying
    Tough
    Intimidating
    Use your own vehicle, gas, meals etc.
    All my district Manager cared about was hitting initial numbers and you were on your own from there.
    They’ll sell you hopes and dreams and dig the ground below your feet.
    They’ll sell you this positivity BS which means nothing after sales school especially if you’re in the Long Island market

Advice to Management

Don’t give false hopes and dreams.

"Extremely disappointing."

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Sales school, free food at meetings

Cons

Working 50+ hours a week for two months straight and not getting paid with absolutely no support from management.

No other agents in my area so I can't even ride with someone for moral support. Completely on my own and lost.

My boss has been gone for over a month. I don't know where or why.

Advice to Management

We need stronger managers, even in remote area. We will never expand into rural areas if there is only one (struggling) agent getting no support or training.

"Insurance Agent"

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time

Pros

Work as much as you want.
    Not many "pros" actually

Cons

100% Commission
    Fake people
    They trick you into going to sales school by telling you that the training is in Chicago when it is actually in Des Plaines.

Advice to Management

Don't be fake

"If I Could Rate a 0 I Would"

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time

Pros

IF you ever sell anything, the bonuses are very nice.

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for!! From the moment you get to sales school and stay in a run-down gross hotel, stuck in a room with a random roommate (mine who did not even speak the same language as me, so we had NO way of communicating). Sales school is a nightmare and you will be in class with many people who will not even take the position when they get back to their home state. First couple of weeks are good because the managers must have their new agents sell so much or they are penalized. As soon as you are on your own, they don't give two cents about you. The products are NOT good, and many clients are never paid. I've seen many clients who are on Medicaid and should not be spending 100's of dollars on products that will never pay them - but these shady agents never disclose that.
    Most importantly, it is never told to you that in your contract it states even after 60 days of resigning, are you responsible if a client falls off the books. Which first of all, ISNT FAIR. I no longer work for Combined, so how can I be sure that these clients are paying premiums or keeping policies in force?!!?!?! I now owe over $1,000 in back charges, and I'm sure that will just add up to even more before the 60 days is over. RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN FROM THIS COMPANY. Combined Insurance in Charlotte NC is a JOKE!!!! Management only cares about one thing, and it isnt their agents.

1 Aug 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. It’s true, this type of sales is not for everyone, and we regret it wasn’t a good fit for you. To ensure agents are following Medicaid guidelines... More

"Combined Fails"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

Deceptive practices all around, from the top down; mainly lack of transparency and disclosure regarding accounting practices that would normally be shared up front with new hires, by other professionals firms.

Real management here is non-existent. What is practiced has been excruciatingly concocted over decades of refinement by career robots that micromanage and think inside the box. Internally, those profiting have structured an elaborate shell game that they play with new agents - join us and prosper by replacing old clients that cancel with new clients, all while the agents scramble to cover their chargebacks. Combined pockets the rest. The burden of this entire structure always rests upon the agents, never the so-called management.

Chronologically, here's an example of what to expect - Agents that are sent to sales school are subsequently thrust out into the field with inadequate product knowledge. This hurts one's ability to sell. Scripted selling is the most important part of what is taught at Combined.

Upper management will treat you like an object and a sales target in order to push you to sell. Every agent is valuable only in that they are a means to their manager's profitable end. All managers employ well practiced scripted selling, hypnotic statements, slogans, and chants - mostly to elicit a Pavlovian response and to get you, the agent, to perform.

Next, these inept "managers" care little about your future success; they simply want to bonus off of your initial performance and then move on to the next agent being on-boarded. Once an agent is on their own, (your manager has abandoned you for new talent), most agents usually drown in "fake it till you make it" and also angry existing client complaints. Client complaints are usually focused on lack of claims paid and other unprofessional Combined practices that they have been exposed to.

The sheer volume of agent turnover at this firm remains unaddressed. Combined is intentionally apathetic about their agent turnover rate because they profit from it by no longer having to pay residuals promised to agents that leave the company. Clients that do remain on the books and continue to pay their monthly premiums are pocketed by the firm and rightfully so since the company is taking the risk and must pay out claims. Agents that do leave the company still have to pay for chargebacks that occur even after they have moved on to more realistic jobs. But let's face it. If the practice of agent turnover is intentional, someone at the state supervisors office should look into it. The company is looking forward to your departure and that's why intense recruiting efforts are focused upon. You're expected to fail.

Finally, a subtle misguidance is practiced here, almost intentionally, at least on the East Coast. Most things are answered only if they are asked. There is no full disclosure here. Benefits are horrible, and only a few elite managers make money on the influx of new agents. If you join this company, be prepared to make money in downward spiral and chase your own tale staying out of debt to them. No one ever leaves on good terms. This place is a joke. To the few agents that do thrive, the 1%, please share your experience.

Advice to Management

Stop using people and get a real job.

11 Jan 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for bringing these concerns up to us and for giving us the opportunity to respond. We value our agents and strive to help them stay at Combined Insurance and build a solid, long-lasting... More

"Run-don't walk away from WV managers"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charleston, WV (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Charleston, WV (US)

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make $ but you've got to do a lot of work & spend a lot of time finding people to buy the policies.

Cons

They send you to Sales School in Chicago then drop the ball when you get home and blame you for it. No prep work for field training just "fake it til you break it". More info needs to be provided before Sales School. Mixed info from Sales School and local Managers on what to do to succeed. Daylight to dark 6 & 7 if you'll do it.

Advice to Management

Vet candidates before sending them to Sales School. Have a game plan in place for when they return. Just stop being so shady. The love of money is truly the root of all evil.

28 Nov 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. This type of sales is not for everyone, and we regret it wasn’t a good fit for you. We’d appreciate additional details about your experience... More

"Must be willing to work"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent school training, continuing classroom education in home market.

Cons

Non-existent field training for me after sales school. Inconsistency between markets.

Advice to Management

Do not hire sales people without having quality support staff in the market to continue training and support. .

5 Sep 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as a Combined Sales Agent. We agree-our training is top-notch, and we do everything we can to help our new agents be successful. Thanks for... More

8. "Good Company with wonderful products"

Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Agent in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Combined Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Combined sells accident and sickness policies to individuals. Good product that is needed especially with the state of health insurance today. They provide you with training at their home office in Chicago. The flight and the room were paid by them. After finishing their Sales School, you are provided with a company Ipad for your sales. The opportunity is there to make good money. But, you have to work at it. Make sure you have money in reserve to get you through the slow periods and when the unexpected comes up. I had a good management team that was supportive.

Cons

This is a commission sales job. You are in charge of your own business. The potential is there but it can be slow starting out so be prepared.

Advice to Management

I had a supportive management team.

28 Jul 2017 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share this positive review. As you mentioned, it takes hard work to be successful in this entrepreneurial-type career, but we do our part to provide excellent... More

"Can't believe Chubb let's this Company carry its brand"

Former Employee - Market Director
    Former Employee - Market Director

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Products are good and competitive

Cons

Out dated business model
    100% focus on hiring agents, they will hire anybody! No screening for realistic skills and competencies that would prove for a candidate’s opportunity for success or viability. Their “Manpower” (recruiting calls) are unbelievable showing that they just want bodies at sales school week after week. They don’t seem to care that there is no agent success! “Manpower Math,” give me a break!
    Many unqualified leaders who have never sold insurance
    No respect for the field agents from Divisional Staff Operations Team.
    Very poor culture
    Agents are nickel and dimed to death while they are starving and starting from scratch.
    No respect for their insured’s. Client confidential information is not safeguarded, its used as a “lead” and their confidential information floats around from agent to agent and is not secure.

Advice to Management

Good luck!!! Knowing what I know now, I am ashamed to have Combined on my resume. I have yet to find anyone who feels that their time at Combined was beneficial to their future in anyway, everyone I have had contact with feels completely embarrassed that they worked there.

10. "COMBINED CHANGED MY LIFE!!"

Current Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Uvalde, TX (US)
    Current Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Uvalde, TX (US)

I have been working at Combined Insurance as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Combined has issued us a blank check we write the amount. We decide how much our lives are worth by the passion, love & work we put into our business; truly it is what we put into our clients❤️ Combined invests so much into our success✨ From the all-expense paid Chicago trip to sales school to the subsidies, bonuses, to the exam fx!! They care about us. I Love COMBINED INSURANCE & will be a part of the Combined family for years to come!!

Cons

No cons. I love Combined❤