Commonwealth Bank of Australia Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2021

Found 3,133 of over 3,486 reviews

4.1
Commonwealth Bank of Australia Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Matt Comyn (no image)
Matt Comyn
1,032 Ratings
Pros
  • "Work life balance, growth both vertically and horizontally(in 305 reviews)

• "Flexible Working and excellent technical exposure(in 230 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lots of red tape because of the nature of the business(in 94 reviews)

• "Large organisation that is getting more nimble(in 66 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

ES

Jul 28, 2021 - Executive Assistant in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love every part of it, manager is engaging and checks in on me

Cons

nothing at all. they have improved since i was last there. go CBA

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for and lots of support

Jul 27, 2021 - Senior Manager - Risk Management in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and very supportive especially when things go wrong for you. Senior leaders exceeded my expectations when they helped me during a personal issue that prevented me to be at work while I was only 3 months in. They have been in regular contact to make sure I am ok, provided supplies during lockdown, provided me with contact details to help my situation, provided special leave so I can sort out my problems and helped me return to work. Lots of areas to explore when it's time for development and the leaders are supportive of career progression and very involved. Very inclusive and diverse culture as well and great pay compared to other companies out there.

Cons

Navigating the magnitude of this company can be daunting for some people but some might like the challenge. There are a lot of areas and you really need to invest in booking some time with the teams you will be working with to make sure you understand what they are doing and therefore do your job easier.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Look elsewhere!

Jul 21, 2021 - Customer Banking Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Job security and uniforms provided

Cons

Branch manager was investigated for bullying NUMEROUS times and subsequently, a lot of excellent staff members quit in the space of 12 months all because CBA chose to side with the branch manager. Expectations of CBS's in the branch are absolutely unattainable. It's completely impossible to get all work completed by the end of your shift. Someone is always angry at you - whether it be a disgruntled customer or someone in management. Although there is a Rewards & Recognition scheme in place, it's barely used because everyone is too busy to use it. Computers and electronic signature pads constantly broke down which increased employee stress levels and customer's annoyance. God forbid you have a 10 second social conversation with a colleague otherwise you'll be separated like little kids in primary school. Also constantly left out of team meetings as they're run an hour before the doors open and half the staff haven't even arrived yet. They say its not a Sales role but you still have ridiculous KPI's to meet (ie: insurance quotes, financial health checks, home loan referrals). The CBA branch has been the most unhappiest place I have ever worked in over 25+ years of my working life.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

An employer that promotes their talent and pays well

Jul 28, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Recognises and promotes high performing staff, so you can certainly grow and progress - Salary is reasonably high, but not the best paid when compared with other financial institutions I’m aware of - There is some opportunity to undertake secondments in different departments - Upper level management is generally approachable

Cons

Pros definitely outweigh cons. The main con was individual managers / staff that were either micro managers or bullies (even while training juniors). However I feel this could be experienced at almost any business. I did hear that multiple HR complaints had been made against particular managers yet no real action was taken against those managers. HR may be very pro manager / staff having to argue against the complaint, and therefore lack of support for staff who have a legitimate complaint. Also re performance managing under performing staff - this was often handles very badly by managers Senior to me. I often felt there was a lack of intelligence and common sense when it came to these issues

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Look after staff and try their best to keep them happy

Jun 29, 2021 - Early Customer Engagement Specialist in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Genuinely believe happy staff equal better performance and demonstrate it. The benefits and exclusive discounts are enough bonuses but they even have bonuses around customer satisfaction rather than brutal and stressful monetary numeric KPI's and minimum thresholds, and your obviously compensated fairly to begin with. The managers will work with you to improve and see where to grow within the company, but remember they want you there long term, I dont know many people aside from me that didn't end up changing their future plans for a full time career in commbank.

Cons

This is a double edged sword at times as they can over do the care to the realm of feeling fake and patronising though I never doubted the good intentions. The bank has an extremely effective work force team that run the place like clockwork without the feeling of being micromanaged or aware of the fact that you are just a cog in the massive massive machine that is the largest bank in the southern hemisphere. This is a good thing, and its only a personal gripe that doesn't stop me from recommending it to most people, especially if you need a job.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work if you don't mind internal politics.

Jul 10, 2021 - Product Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good team, great facilities to work in, lots of development opportunities and opportunities to grow. Good employment benefits/leave options. Hard work gets recognised.

Cons

Lots of red tape and internal politics. Slow to get things done. No pragmatism when it comes to risk. Wfh support sub-par. Need crisis incidents or to raise risks to get funding to do anything. Onboarding process non-existant.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place to Work

Jul 27, 2021 - Senior Design Lead in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life Balance Lots of development opportunities and opportunities to grow. Good employment benefits/leave options Industry top wages Great engineering opportunities

Cons

Will continue to improve customer experience and resolving complaints as much as possible

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good job

May 24, 2021 - Project Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

It's a big place that has a lot of flexibility. The current CEO is a very switched on bloke and has taken the bank far in to the future than that old Kiwi. WFH is a key attribute and the people and culture is great. If something isn't right it gets called out and dealt with asap, where friends with other banks are riddled with senior managers thinking they can speak with women as if they own them. Well done CBA, good job on having a great speak up culture, i don't feel like I have to risk my job by reprimanding senior leaders for interesting/dirty behaviour like other work places I've been.

Cons

They pay is the only down fall for me at the moment, it's on par with some other banks but is not the highest which makes you think is it better to get paid less and be happy or paid more and no happy. Be happy I say, but some more money is always nice as well.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Jul 27, 2021 - Test Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

One of the best financial institutions where you will have plenty opportunities to work on cutting-edge technologies

Cons

Dealing with numerous teams and stakeholders sometime will make you weary

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Going nowhere

Jul 27, 2021 - Director in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Superficially appears to be a good place to work and is attractive if you have a young family. Overall CBA is very supportive in terms of flexibility, providing carers and generous parental leave entitlements.

Cons

Total deadend career environment, very hard to shift into other roles or promotion once you've started. Global Markets has a toxic culture and morale is the pits, otherwise if they’re offering you a great role go for it!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,133 Reviews