Commonwealth Bank of Australia United States of America Reviews

Updated 2 Jan 2021

3.8
Commonwealth Bank of Australia Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Matt Comyn (no image)
Matt Comyn
  1. "Customer service"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Contractor - Customer Service Specialist in Eveleigh, KY

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia for less than a year

Pros

Flexible Good managers Ongoing improvements Great facilities Work from home available

Cons

Long contracts Low start wage Hard to get out of branch

2. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time

Pros

Great people and culture. Generally very collaborative.

Cons

Pay below street. Internal systems need a refresh.

3. "Professional, Respectful Culture"

4.0
    Former Employee - Executive Director in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good mix of Americans, Australians and Brits. Strong feeling of teamwork and camaraderie.

Cons

Work life balance a challenge with headquarters 14 or 16 hours ahead.

"CBA staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice colleagues and sunny office

Cons

Constant harping on values and culture which is more spoken the practised. Speaking up means that you will watched and probably be canned next and be told 'your role has been eliminated'. Someone will be hired soon after you are gone in same role. Senior management are politicians and do a dog and pony show for the regulators. Tech systems are archaic, inefficient and waste so much time. Years of promises to improve are like a broken record.

November 3, 2019

Thank you for your feedback and we%E2%80%99re sorry for your experience with us. At CommBank, we are guided by our Code of Conduct as well as our %E2%80%98Values Expectations%E2%80%99 - they are what we stand for. We%E2%80%99re sorry that your experience wasn%E2%80%99t aligned to these. If you have any other feedback, you can contact our SpeakUp hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258) if you would like to discuss this matter further.

"Too much politics"

Current Employee - Worker in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits package, flexible work life balance, good people overall

Cons

The executive team sucks! Compensation is extremely low and not at market value, employees are treated based on likes (it’s truly a political game), no real room for growth, you’re often demoted and there’s nothing you can do about it. The bonuses are the worse, never seen anything like it. They sell you on the fact that it’s a great company but it isn’t they work you like a dog. You’re often given short notice to work on projects and told to get it done right away then penalized when it’s not done in a timely fashion. Do yourself a favor a look elsewhere for employment this place sucks!

October 17, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about your experience and want to assure you that we take these reports seriously. To raise your concerns anonymously, we encourage you to contact HR Direct on 1800 989 696 or the SpeakUp hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258).

6. "Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits (healthcare, time off, 401k)

Cons

Non-transparent leadership, weak culture, very slow moving corporate feel

7. "Electrician"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Au Sable Forks, NY

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia part-time for more than a year

Pros

To make money for my future

Cons

I don't have any downward

Continue reading
  8. "Great salary, but can get lost in process"

Former Employee - Vice President, Embedded Products in Austin, TX

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can learn a lot and apply what you've learned in new roles or in new jobs outside the bank.

Cons

Business tries to focus on people and capability but spends much of its efforts on the Eastern seaboard staff members.

"Do not recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours in most functions are not too bad. Nice enough people on the trading desks/in support functions.

Cons

The culture is toxic and by far the worst that I have seen or heard of at any other bank. Everyone wants to leave, but CBA's poor reputation (not even third tier) and the market conditions make it difficult to find a new job in the same field. The company knows this and in turn lowballs bonuses thinking if people leave of their own volition, they wont have to pay severance and if they stay, the company gets away with not paying them. Most employees hired here have either been laid off and out of a job for a while or need to be incentivized by a sign on bonus to join from some place else. Additionally, the bank is run by salespeople and management consultants (politics prevails over commercial sense) with little knowledge about the businesses they run. Many of the senior salespeople cannot sell and never get fired because they kiss up to the right managers abroad. They are the only ones in the group who also have access to management in Sydney. As a result, whatever they say is blindly accepted and not questioned at all. Big mistake... Also, this is the absolute worst place for young people (under 35yo) who are hungry to work and develop their careers. Their managers will yank a new account from them to claim the revenue under their own name and will not promote anyone past Associate Director level. If someone starts asking for more responsibilities/their own accounts, their managers start making up complaints about their performance and try to push them out of the company. As a result, every single mid-level employee over the past four years has been either let go or convinced to leave.

June 13, 2017Employer Brand Specialist

At CommBank, we take any reports of unethical behaviour very seriously. Raising this issue through HR Direct would enable us to follow up this matter internally. You can do this by calling 1800 989 696 Monday to Friday 8:00am to 7:00pm AEST and AEDT.

"CBA perspectives"

in New York, NY

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Pros

Strong client culture, great people IT is a massive driver of value esp in Retail Bank Super Compliant / Rule following company Strong product set with deep capability and industry insight High ROE and profitability

Cons

Home office bias is very strong Not the fastest $100 Bn dollar, AAA rated bank The promise of unique big data at fingertips remains out of grip

Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 English Reviews