Commonwealth Bank of Australia Information Technology Reviews

Updated 25 Jul 2020

3.7
Commonwealth Bank of Australia Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Matt Comyn (no image)
Matt Comyn
  1. "Prof DC - Impressions"

5.0
    Current Employee - IT Architect, ES, DGP Group in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for less than a year

Pros

A great place to work, great and skillful people and teams, exciting programs of work. Frontline of IT technology

Cons

Extremely large enterprise takes quite a time to get deep knowledge of the current state of IT landscape.

2. "Great Organisation"

Current Contractor - IT Senior Business Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture, work life balance, challenging and satisfying career.

Cons

Long hours and weekend work sometimes

3. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Senior IT Audit Manager in Sydney

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to work, overall. The environment is great in general and the people are also great.

Cons

While the overall environment is great. "Culture" (the way people work, the way work flexibility is observed) depends on who you report too. Some leaders are good, some are not.

Continue reading
  4. "Everyone is nice, but the best IT teams would rather be at Google"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* everyone is friendly! * feels like everyone is genuinely trying to do the right thing * major bank

Cons

* working in IT - all the best devs, data scientists etc. are working at tech companies, so you're not really with best in class * big companies move slowly - can be frustrating if you're in projects * big companies are a cross section of society - some teams are really great and invest in their people, others aren't and don't * listen to consultants more than employees

February 2, 2020

We’re so glad you’ve got an awesome friendly team. Our people are our top priority so we appreciate your feedback. We’re working hard to make CommBank a great workplace, where employees like you can enjoy what you do and feel challenged and stimulated by your work. We appreciate your feedback that is synonymous with the challenges that large corporates face in attracting and retaining talent.

5. "Senior project manager"

Current Employee - IT Senior Project Manager in Sydney

Pros

Good leadership, innovative in many business areas, good people policies including flexible working hours and other benefits

Cons

As it’s a large bank with quite a few bespoke systems, sometimes working through changes has its own limitations

6. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, IT Service Management & Operations in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to work on exciting IT projects and initiatives. World class offices. Great culture of people to both enjoy working with and to socialise.

Cons

Executive Managers operating in silos and too inexperienced to formulate and lead a strategy & vision. Remuneration is unfortunately based on experience and age as opposed to achievements, results and success.

Continue reading
  7. "Bogged down in bureaucracy"

2.0
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good job security, middle band pay

Cons

Everything moves at glacial pace. Approval process is such that nothing can happen without upper management - SERIOUSLY upper management approval. Heavy hierarchy but no empowerment. Toxic recent past of Executives lining their own pockets with no concern for customers or other staff.

December 16, 2018

Thank you for your feedback We’re working hard to build a simpler, better bank. If you have additional feedback you’d like to share, we encourage you to speak to your manager, MOR or HR Direct on 1800 989 696 or the SpeakUp hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258).

8. "Very active environment"

5.0
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovative in technology and IT banking services, flexible working hours and a good place to work for your career, good salaries

Cons

Cant think of any at the moment. There are complex processes at CBA but this is true about all enterprises

"Ok but practices becoming stagnant, no new innovation"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Sydney

Pros

Good people and vibes Relaxed culture but sometimes too relaxed Nice offices especially the new ones Can wear casual almost everyday

Cons

Salary ceiling on promotions Innovation falling behind Too much focus now on cost cutting which is uninspiring Momentum slowing down

"IT Architect"

2.0
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Only bank listed in top 50 of BRW Innovation Awards 2017. CBA brand is still, for now, meaningful to future employers.

Cons

Continually pressured to deliver faster with less resulting in more risks and gaps in delivery. Agile is treated as a set of methods and processes and not a set of values. Culture is poor due to silos generated by delivery pressures.

December 11, 2017Commonwealth Bank

Thanks for your post, we appreciate your insights. We’ve shared your feedback with the relevant people in the organisation. Have a great day!

Found 14 reviews