Commonwealth Bank of Australia Employee Reviews about "red tape"

Updated 9 Jul 2020

4.1
Commonwealth Bank of Australia Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Matt Comyn (no image)
Matt Comyn
Pros
Cons
  • "Lots of red tape because of the nature of the business(in 84 reviews)

• "Large organisation with barriers to manage(in 59 reviews)

Reviews about "red tape"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Android Developer in Sydney

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance Supportive teams

Cons

Slow processes and red tape

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Response

July 23, 2020

We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your role at CommBank with a good team and work life balance. Good luck with your current and future roles and if you are on the lookout for a new opportunity, head to our career site https://www.commbank.com.au/about-us/careers.html.

2. "Great work life balance, interesting work"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time

Pros

Some really great people, work is interesting and work environment is relaxed.

Cons

It takes a loooong time to get anything delivered - there's a lot of red tape and people can be protective of their "kingdom".

"Job For Life"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Redfern, New South Wales

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than a year

Pros

discounts and perks are good, work building is immaculate and facilities within provided are great, shift work can be good for some but if not some are able to request a permanent shift to work better for you, free taxi home for shifts finishing after 7:30pm, internal HR team are great, flexibility to apply for work from home in this role, huge company so you definitely meet a few great people along the way, processes to take down customer feedback are effective, building management staff and externally hired cleaners are great and attentive, lots of changes take place constantly therefore you learn to adapt really quickly, lots of bank knowledge gained, very supportive colleges.

Cons

salaries lower than industry standard, no bonus or change in salary offered when cross-skilling associates, lots of red tape (expected), some managers have dated views of what makes a good employee i.e. praising people who stay back after their designated shift times because they "wanted to do extra work", frontline work can get very stressful/exhausting, shifts vary vastly and sometimes you will be rostered for the earliest possible shift one week and the latest possible the next week and management do not care, no shift/penalty rates even when working 10pm finish - only a tiny increase for Sat/Sun shift when you are rostered one every few weeks, expected to work without pay past your rostered shift time if a call you are on goes over, also expected to work through breaks if call goes over and if you choose to take your break after rostered times your KPI's are affected negatively, very strict adherence with breaks that you must take at the exact time rostered and must be on ready on all times other than your break on a shift - break times change every day to make sure enough staff are on at one time due to different shift coverage, lack of transparency when it comes to our yearly "bonus" and bonus itself is subjective as it depends on the opinion of your manager about you

4. "Nice culture in the area I worked at TPP"

Former Contractor - Senior Test Analyst in Sydney

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia for less than a year

Pros

It is a large organisation and there is potential to move into other areas of business

Cons

Funding can be difficult and lots of red tape, understandable as CBA has to abide by the regulators

"Risk"

Current Employee - Risk Analyst

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time

Pros

Culture Management Flexibility Technology Internal movement

Cons

Salary not competitive Slow progression Red tape N/a

6. "Would Recommend"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Sydney

Pros

Big focus on development if you perform well Great work culture

Cons

Lots of red tape because of the nature of the business

7. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney

Pros

Flexibility, Team Culture, Benefits, Salary and Initiatives

Cons

Politics Too much hierarchy Red tape Company is too big No clear room for growth

"CBA Environment"

Current Employee - COMMSEE (CRM) Service Delivery Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing staff to work with which become office family Good culture Huge company to grow in any area

Cons

Too much red tape Poor leadership Old Legacy applications

9. "School Banking is the best place to work in the Bank"

Current Employee - School Banking Sepecialist in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture for promotion and development. Always trying to put the customer first in everything we do. CSN is a great change for positive behaviour in all employees

Cons

Sometimes takes a lot of time to make a decision so you have to follow up all the time. Can have a bit of red tape attached to decisions

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Response

October 14, 2019

Thanks for your feedback. We’re glad that you are are getting the development opportunities that you are looking for and more importantly enjoying work.

10. "Death by governance for little benefit"

Former Contractor - Technical Business Analyst in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia for more than a year

Pros

Processes very well defined, advance leading edge technology, office space modern and new.

Cons

Location at Sydney Olympic Park felt too isolcated. Not much transparency at upper management level, bound by red tape. Some long time permanents who possess a sense of entitlement can be difficult to deal with. I had to resign from my 18-month contract because there was one particular data architect who had all the authority but no accountability. Very unprofessional, belittle other staff, regularly screams and storm out of meetings due to having a different opinion to others.

Found 84 reviews