Commonwealth Bank of Australia Senior Engineer Reviews

Updated 28 Aug 2020

4.6
Commonwealth Bank of Australia Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Matt Comyn (no image)
Matt Comyn
  1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Android Developer in Sydney

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance Supportive teams

Cons

Slow processes and red tape

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Response

We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your role at CommBank with a good team and work life balance. Good luck with your current and future roles and if you are on the lookout for a new opportunity, head to our career site https://www.commbank.com.au/about-us/careers.html.

2. "Overall great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- great company culture - no finger pointing, environment of solid professionals, promoted attitude is to be helpful and do a great job, great flexibility

Cons

salaries can lag compared to market

Team

We're glad to hear you're enjoying your time at CommBank! All the best for your current and future opportunities with us.

3. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, work life balance

Cons

Demanding sometimes but can be managed within teams well if leadership is good

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Response

We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying your role with a good team and work-life balance. We want to wish you continued success and a rewarding career at CommBank. Good Luck.

4. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment and great people

Cons

New team in the building

5. "Great and inclusive workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sydney

Pros

1. Work flexibility 2. Extremely nice people 3. Many cutting edge technology available to develop in

Cons

Not much - other than too many different office locations and it's a pain to walk between so far in the rain

6. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance Good location

Cons

Career ladder is not clear for engineers

"12 Scary years"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney

I worked at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible working arrangements, meaning, people can work from home once a week.

Cons

They haven't had the ability to hire any good talent to work for them for many years now, as as a result, most of the software engineers are of poor quality and don't know how to do the most basic of low level design. The only way to succeed here is to suck up to management, and do a lot of brown nosing. If you help your manager succeed, then they might give you credit for your work. When I started in 2006, management was proud of the diversity of the work force in the software teams. There were lots of women and many cultures. It is now almost all male and of one overseas culture. The hygiene of the teams are terrible. A floor manager once had to send an email out to everyone and told them not to bath in the sink in the toilets (there are showers in the basement), not to spit on the sandwich toasters to see if they are one. I lost count of the number of people that don't wash there hands after using the toilet. I have been told that it is a cultural thing, but that isn't an excuse for spreading germs. Current management is obsessed with outsourcing, they call it "smart sourcing". If you work at CBA in a software development team, most of the team will not be CBA staff, but HCL or TCS outsourced workers. They are not good at their jobs. Management is more interested in the speed of software development, not the quality. For that reason, I am also no longer a customer of the bank. I know the code, and it is scary.

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Response

Thanks for your feedback. We take reports of this type of behaviour seriously. To help us take action, you can contact our HR Direct team on 1800 989 696 or the SpeakUp hotline on 1800 SpeakUP (1800 773 258) if you’d like to raise this issue anonymously.

8. "Senior Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Complex environment with many different technologies and interaction with lots of experts. Great place to learn and develop

Cons

Bureaucracy and constraints one would expect from a financial services company.

9. "Good company"

Current Contractor - Senior Software Development Engineer in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Commonwealth Bank of Australia for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance and salary. Nice offices

Cons

Its a big faceless bank who invests in less than ideal sectors (coal)

10. "Good company!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney

Pros

Smart people Nice process Pretty office Up-to-date technologies

Cons

Pay is not very compatitive

Found 19 reviews