Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Leanne Berge

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (this may depend on the team you are on) (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits and balanced work/life (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • company slow to respond to customer service need in ref (in 7 reviews)

• Supervisors and upper management for clicks to keep the active worker down (in 5 reviews)

"Great place, great people doing great work."

Current Employee - Director of Pharmacy in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Pharmacy in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Community Health Plan of Washington is an amazing organization for people who want to contribute and make a difference. CHPW is a health plan dedicated to serving the undeserved and the employees make a difference for people in need every day.

Cons

CHPW experienced some turn over in key leadership positions but it was all for the better. It created an opportunity to bring in new team members and build a stronger company. The organization is really turning the corner with a new CEO and now CHPW is poised to be a first in class managed care health plan. It is an exciting time filled with tremendous opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the mission and never doubt in your potential.

2. "Fulfilling, Exciting, Innovative, and Mission Focused company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love being a part of a managed care organization that is non-profit and centered around caring for the most vulnerable populations across Washington state. The people who work here actually care for members and contribute many volunteer hours in service to others. The team is diverse, nimble and everyone's ideas count.

Cons

We are growing and need more talented, dedicated team members to take our company to the next level of excellence.

3. "Mission driven, people focused"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

I come into work every day excited to do good work with a great group of folks. In short: I love my team! As a plan based solely in Washington State, the company is indeed mission driven and in a unique position to really understand the communities they serve. CHPW takes its mission seriously and gives its employees 40 hours every year to use for community service. In fact, employee benefits are better than many companies in the Seattle area, including a good employer matching 401k and free Orca card.

Cons

As the company, has gotten bigger roles need to be more clearly defined. Turnover has been a bit high, but it’s been a great opportunity to re-evaluate positions, address deficiencies and build stronger teams. With a new CEO at the helm, CHPW is moving in a positive direction.

5. "The company that gives back"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CHPW is a wonderful place to work. The people that work at CHPW truly cares about our community and the members we serve. We are the only not for profit managed care organization in the state of Washington. All proceeds go back to the Washington State Community Health Centers. The employees also receive an annual bonus based on the companies performance.

Cons

I cannot think of any down points to working at CHPW. I love my job!

6. "Community Health Plan of WA"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Mission-driven; dedicated people; community-oriented; changing; supportive; strong focus on work-life balance

Cons

small; lack of project management strategy

"Great Company with Motivated People"

Pros

CHPW is a small, agile company, always looking for creative ways to grow and better serve our members. The opportunity for personal growth within the company is great - internal promotions and movement happen often and are encouraged. Employees believe in the company mission, and there is a friendly demeanor within the company. I would highly recommend working at CHPW!

Cons

Being a not-for-profit, salaries are sometimes not as competitive in the Seattle market, but benefits and work life balance make up for this.

"Positive, mission-focused, growing"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

People are really friendly and genuinely embrace the mission of greater access to health care for underserved populations. I feel very supported and empowered by my team and managers. There's room for growth and I like the collaborative environment.

Cons

There are some transitional pains as the company grows and there can be some confusion over who is responsible for what. Regulatory bodies are difficult to get used to if you're coming from outside government/health care.

"Do not get into Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

-Orca card
    -Company Values
    -Other departments besides Customer Service

Cons

-The Customer Service Dept
    -So what if you have lots of classes, programs, and fun activities if one department rarely ever gets to participate (Customer Service Department) in any because they are forced to stay on the phones
    -The training is a joke. They just throw you on the phones and leave you to answer them and help providers and members without any real feedback as to how you are doing and if you get stumped you have to call another person and act as a really ineffective string between two soup cans (the person who has worked there longer and knows how to find the answers and the person who needs help) going back and forth between the two to get information or give it. It's insanely inefficient.
    -They make sick people come to work and get people who aren't sick, sick and we just end up passing it around to each other for months

Advice to Management

If you would take the time to properly train your employees it would be nice. Real training for health care information services is about 2 months. At least. Let your customer service people participate in activities they are invited to participate in. Get rid of the middleman customer service and give proper tools that are actually effective and easy to maneuver. Pay your Customer Service people more. It's Seattle, everything is getting expensive.

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Orca card, met some very nice people, hard to meet the 20 word minimum here. So, I'm just filling this out so I can submit my review.

Cons

Very expensive PPO plan. I did not want to use CHPW for my family's care. Very dramatic resistance to any kind of change at all levels. Very disengaged and unsupportive leadership. Very outdated In a very progressive Seattle. HR frowns upon working from home and casual Friday's. People at all levels are quitting at a pace I'd never seen before. The company only has 300 + employees and consistently has 30+ job openings at all times. I was micromanaged and treated like a child instead of a professional.

In a nutshell, it is the worst place I've ever worked and the shortest I've ever stayed at a company. Seattle is booming and I don't recommend wasting your time here when you have plenty of fantastic companies to choose from.

Advice to Management

They didn't take my advice when I was there so why would I bother to give any now. Your future looks pretty bleak at the rate your imploding.

"One star is generous"

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Good benefits and downtown location.

Cons

Bad management that causes a lot of employees to be unhappy. Turnover is very high because of the very poor management. Management lacks people skills.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with people skills who aren't bullies. A little warmth and encouragement toward staff would go a long way.