Community Health Plan of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Leanne Berge

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance (this may depend on the team you are on) (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, the most talented and educated staff I have ever worked with in my healthcare career (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • company slow to respond to customer service need in ref (in 7 reviews)

• The short time I was there we had extreme high turnover and upper management still believed that we were below the turnover average for Seattle (in 6 reviews)

1. "Most potential of anywhere I have ever worked..."

Pros

Good benefits, the most talented and educated staff I have ever worked with in my healthcare career. Team is littered with superstars who are well spoken and mission driven

Cons

Senior Leadership uses HR to suppresses talent not enhance it. Ratings are manipulated to deny promotions and raises. Directors and VP's are often less talented than subordinates. I know at least 20 people who have left CHPW in the last 18 months for a promotion. Smart leaders want to keep brilliant people in the organization but many of the mid-level managers are afraid of being exposed as incompetent so they are happy to allow talent to exit. C-Suite are positive individuals but lack strategic focus.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate HR strategy

2. "What an incredible organization to work for!"

Current Employee - Remote Worker in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Remote Worker in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What isn't there to love? Benefits are excellent (3.5 week of PTO, 40 hours of community service to volunteer at a non profit, transportation assistance including unlimited monthly ORCA card, 401K match with no vesting schedule, most positions have flexible working hours and some can be remote from home), our office in DT Seattle is modern and beautiful (our 6th floor employee lounge has expresso machines, a view of the water, small grocery store and even vegan microwaves) and my colleagues in my dept. and in other areas of the company are the kindest, most down to earth people to work with. Feels like I work with family. Everyone is supportive, respectful and we're all here for the same reason (as our Mission) - that's to give back to the community and help the under served population. I feel so good knowing my work impacts others and is more than just about myself or making a company money. We are the only not for profit healthcare insurance company in Washington State so this makes us unique in itself. Very rewarding organization that takes care of its employees, values hard work, encourages work/life balance (some badges can't even come into the office after 6 or 7pm because they want you home with your family) and are advocates for growth from within the company. Also appreciate that we have a female CEO - they are rare nowadays and she's awesome.

Cons

Honestly, there are no cons at CHPW.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "We're on our way"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

CHPW is redesigning fully integrated managed care from the ground up. We have an amazing partnership with our community health centers that we will build on to serve the medical and behavioral health needs of Washington's Apple Health members. Lots of work but it is rewarding.

Cons

Moving through change and evolving requires some remodeling of the organization and that is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep making the hard choices that will help us achieve our potential.

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Administrator in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees really care about the mission, so the work is about more than just the bottom line. Coworkers are for the most part absolutely great. The CEO is also really smart, cares about the mission of the company, and really understands the value of providing great care to Medicaid and Medicare beneficiaries so there's excellent leadership from the top. Also lost of women in positions of power.

Cons

Some members of upper and middle management can be hard to communicate with. There has been a lot of turnover in certain departments and from my observations, it's all about the management of those departments being difficult to work with. There's only so much managing up one can do before it's exhausting.

Advice to Management

Be clear about your goals and expectations. Certain managers (not a plurality, but enough to be frustrating) tend to "forget" conversations and decisions. It's very difficult to run a project when the goal posts keep moving.

"Proud to be a part of CHPW!"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CHPW has a brand new CEO who is taking this company to the next level! She is dedicated to the populations we serve and to employees who work at CHPW. Worklife balance is good. Benefits are awesome, and affordable even for a family!

Cons

A lot of change right now, however it will be worth it in the end!

Advice to Management

Managers need to focus on their teams if they want to keep them. Recognize people for great work!

"manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

Mission driven organization with passionate people who want to improve care for people in need.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

"Better than a few companies I've worked for"

I have been working at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission; I like my boss and my team; Benefits are on par with what I've received from other companies I've worked for.

Cons

High turnover, but there were some people that needed to go. There are still a few bad managers at this company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad managers/directors/vps. Stop being cheap with salaries. I know the company is a not for profit, but you have to pay people a living wage and I don't care what HR says, wages are NOT competitive.

"Toxic work environment"

I worked at Community Health Plan of Washington full-time

Pros

-There are some incredibly passionate and dedicated healthcare professionals that are an absolute pleasure to work with.
    -High opportunity for growth if you are in a department that needs help
    -Decent benefits, particularly 401k (6% matched, no vestment period)

Cons

-HR heavily underpays regular staff under the guise of "we're a not-for-profit" while the executives make $250k+. Ridiculous.
    -Unnecessarily reactive to problems due to lack of proper business documentation and incredibly high turnover. Very, very few employees stay more than 1-2 years.
    -Shady HR practices also include several fake 5 star reviews on this site. Really? No cons at all? At least pretend it's a real review.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen to criticism despite having insanely high turnover, so there's not much an anonymous review can do to change that.

"If CHPW was a dessert, it would be an apple TURNOVER"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Really great mission on paper. Some good managers but not great leaders overall.

Cons

If CHPW was a dessert, it would be an apple TURNOVER. It's a revolving door of people who deep down don't want to be there--at least for long. It's hard to stay motivated when you know your boss and your boss's boss are both looking for jobs elsewhere. It's hard to keep the morale up when you have to keep training new people, then watching them people leave almost as soon as they as they an. CHPW does have a fair amount of good and qualified people there, however there isn't much incentive for them to say and it's really easy to poach these good employees and have them employed elsewhere; CHPW doesn't do a lot to focus on employee retention. Infrastructure constantly changes and while the environment can be positive at times, it lacks a core stability in personnel and vision. All my friends/colleagues there moved on, and eventually I did too. If you're thinking of leaving, the grass IS greener on the other side. Pretty telling when half of HR quits last year right? And Med Mgmt, what's going on there? The vague 5 star reviews on here are written by managers or directors to try to override the plummeting star rating here. It's like trying to offset 1 star food with 5 star service on Yelp, sure you always refilled my water and asked if you could get me anything, but your steak tasted like a moldy shoe and I got Hep C from the fork.

Advice to Management

Clear house. Burn it down, then build it back up. Review the values and mission. Rebrand the company. Take pride and ownership in your work. BE patient-centered rather than just saying it.

"Disorganized bad management zero communication or coordination."

Current Employee - Community OUtreach Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Community OUtreach Specialist in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

It pays and it may be an opportunity to establish yourself and jump ship under the right manager. They will likely leave before you can really get settled and you will report directly to a vp and it will be hell

Cons

See above. You will be putting out fires and have the fundamental nature of your work changed suddenly. Everyone is unhappy and stressed because orders are given and then changed and changed again.

Advice to Management

I honestly don't know how to help or have any advice.
    At the very least understand what each team member of your team is supposed to do and how to leverage them individually