Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum Reviews

2.7
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum President Scott Belsky
Scott Belsky
0 Rating
  1. "Awful work environment"

1.0
    Former Contractor - Educational Assistant

I worked at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum

Pros

location on the UES and free admission to most museums

Cons

the managers don't care about you at all; have impossible expectations; they are incredibly rude and at some times, just mean

2. "Great experience but no upward mobility"

I worked at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum full-time

Pros

-Great department teams -Amazing collection -Constant inspiration from designers and exhibits

Cons

-No upward mobility -No room for financial upward mobility -Micromanaging directors -Expect a lot of additional work with no incentive -Most directors do not take input from their teams.

3. "Hierarchical and difficult to do most anything"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really enjoyed many of my co-workers and felt that there was a lot of (mainly untapped) talent. There can fun opportunities to work at various events and some cross-departmental opportunity to learn. The Smithsonian provides a lot of training opportunity (but with the downside of having to be trained for everything or you are unable to complete your job- training takes a lot of time and you do have to travel to D.C. if they want to pay for you to go). The D.C. staff get a lot of extra perks like staff events at the zoo (as a New York employee, you get to see all the fun perks over email and never get to go). The Smithsonian staff in D.C. seem very nice though. The Smithsonian will contribute a lot to your retirement plan, if you stick it out for a few years.

Cons

Since it is part of the Smithsonian Institution, you have to do everything by the book, which is fine, however, it takes ages to do anything and can be very frustrating, which can sometimes cause animosity between staff. For example, if you run out of paper you need to submit an order at least a month in advance for it to be approved; if you run out of supplies that's your fault. Additionally, if another staff member gets approved to purchase something and you would like to borrow it, it can end up being a battle and lots of paperwork so you end up having to get things approved for your particular use and people don't like sharing. The management rarely praises people and raises are almost non-existent because of the government "step" system where it is more based off time at the company than merit. When promises are made for certain things like a wage increase or title change, they are often not kept or take so long that people end up feeling like they don't matter. When you talk to HR and ask some basic questions you are often given the run-around or essentially told that your question doesn't matter in the grand scheme of the Smithsonian. HR is aggressive, condescending, and unhelpful. They will bend over backwards to appease anyone who gives them any money even if they are extremely rude to the staff.

4. "V fine"

I have been working at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum part-time

Pros

Super organized company, medical benefits and travel compensation offered

Cons

long hours, kinda boring, stationary

5. "intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum

Pros

People are fantastic. 90% of the people working there are really interesting and passionate people that care about the museum and the work a great deal. All of the departments have a female head which I love to see

Cons

Can be very disorganized at times. Issues with staffing and maintaining employees because of this.

6. "For the ambitious"

I worked at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum

Pros

Excellent and inspiring collection, lots of collaboration, exciting place to be. Lots of opportunities to learn and to meet inspiring people.

Cons

It is a very ambitious museum; you must be able to keep up.

"Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum

Pros

Smithsonian institution in New York City. Beautiful location and collection. Nice staff. I have heard they usually pull from their intern pool when looking to hire new associates. A lot of free time, if you're looking for that in an internship.

Cons

Lack of direction from supervisors. Some days they wouldn't come in at all and left no direction for interns. Disorganized. I would ask for projects and responsibilities, even filling or cleaning on some days, they would be to busy to delegate.

8. "Education Assistant"

I have been working at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum full-time

Pros

Exposure to many facets of museum education programming and administration.

Cons

Lack of leadership and support

9. "Maintenance"

1.0

I worked at Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum full-time

Pros

The best thing is you start receiving your vacation days on first pay check

Cons

Lacks organization. People are not very nice to work with.

"Mean Girls Club"

2.0

Pros

You become self-reliant and very efficient very quickly. You get to part-take in cool events and meet many people. Good job for networking

Cons

All those positive come with a price. My first year there I experienced panic attacks, massive headaches, and moments of delusion! I would cry all the way home and complain to my friends and family...why would someone endure this...because the museum is well known and has many connections. Senior management places unrealistic expectations on its team and often they do not provide the resources to complete tasks. There is a huge lack of communication between management and the rest of the staff. When things go wrong, senior management acts aloof. Unfortunately, the work environment becomes a mean girls battle field - a place where people don't talk or are afraid to speak up. Whenever there were differences of opinion, I was told I was being disrespectful and not collegial. I never felt like I could ask my director for help - only close colleagues. I was promised a promotion for about a year, and although I was doing the tasks and working more - still nothing happened. I was told things like: "We are a federal institution, you have to do the work before you can get the raise." I understood, however this continued for many months. The environment is so toxic that many of my former colleagues have left within weeks/months of each other. Our department is a huge revolving door, and senior management continues to ignore the problem. HR is not helpful at all; when problems are brought up there is no place for the employee to express grievances. HR makes you feel like you are in a looney bin.

Found 15 reviews