Culture Amp Reviews

Updated 5 May 2021

4.5
Culture Amp Founder & CEO Didier Elzinga (no image)
Didier Elzinga
Pros
  • "My experience with Culture Amp has been a very positive one(in 20 reviews)

• "I can see that the CEO is trying hard to connect with people and be culture-first - one of the influential leaders in Melbourne(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Culture Amp is one of the best places I've worked, but now that I'm no longer there (COVID layoffs) the values sting in hindsight(in 8 reviews)

• "It's a fast growing company so it's not always perfect(in 7 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Good company with great culture"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Culture Amp full-time for less than a year

Pros

- company culture - work life balance - friendly team - personal growth potential - general people management - very considered product management

Cons

I'm sometimes missing the crazy startup adrenaline, and work hard party harder atmosphere. But I'm weirdo.

Continue reading
  2. "Best company I've worked for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Melbourne

I worked at Culture Amp full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fantastic CEO, who goes out of his way to meet everyone and answers everyones question. - Company really does care about culture and individuals - Wonderful place to be able to grow and develop - Fantastic product with a constant pace - Live and breathe the values

Cons

- Growing pains, standard for a scale up like this

3. COVID-19

"The values sting in hindsight"

I worked at Culture Amp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent colleagues and great values

Cons

Culture Amp is one of the best places I've worked, but now that I'm no longer there (COVID layoffs) the values sting in hindsight. I have no qualms with the CEO - he's a great human. The company talks big about their values which is accurate because they do live them every day. I was one of those people that lived the values day in and day out. In fact, the values prompted me to go above and beyond what I was doing and help people around me have better experiences there. Then, I got thrust out into the world during a pandemic. I was cripplingly sad and felt betrayed. My time leading up to the layoff wasn't fantastic either. Continued mismanagement by leaders and struggling to juggle all the work I was being given, I was exhausted beyond belief but I stuck it through, because that's how much I believed in the company's mission. I trusted that the leaders knew what they were doing. I know, making the decision to lay people off isn't easy, but I refuse to believe that that was the only way out. Now, I hear news that Culture Amp is hiring again, and will quite possibly be hiring for the position I was let go from. It stings something deep.

January 17, 2021VP People and Experience

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you are doing ok. It does genuinely pain our leadership team that you have felt sadness and that decisions we made have led to you feeling like the values sting. We acknowledge that you feel this way, particularly as you have said that our values were something that you lived everyday and saw others do the same during your time with us. Our values continue to guide us through these uncertain times, both when we get it right and when we get it wrong, and also when there are differing points of view on what the right decision was to make on something - the layoffs have been an example of this... We made the decision to do the lay offs with the information we had in hand at the time, coupled with intense uncertainty as to what would lie ahead for us through COVID. As mentioned above, this is one of those decisions that everyone had a view on as to whether it was the right decision or not. Also with hindsight, of course these decisions could have been thought about differently. You are right that Culture Amp is hiring again. Some of the positions we hire will be in the same areas as those that were impacted by the lay offs back in May last year as we have more certainty now. Having said this, your unique contribution is always going to be just that - unique and you were part of our journey through such a critical time and for that we can't thank you enough. We hope that in time we can connect with you and learn more about how we could have improved your experience.

"One of the tech focused / product companies in Melbourne"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Culture Amp full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Tech focused initiatives among customer focused ones. Opens the door for tech innovation. * People focused culture - this may sometimes come across as "all talk" and fake but in reality it is much better than many other organisations - I am not surprised by a couple bad reviews about "people first" being fake. * I can see that the CEO is trying hard to connect with people and be culture-first - one of the influential leaders in Melbourne.

Cons

* Very low pay compared to market standards and does not match with the increasing expectations and outcome expected out of senior to lead roles. * Not very competent top engineering management: Top heavy (too many directors for the company size) and recently expanding to non-engineering management. Obviously some people may not find this an issue (particularly if you are a non-technical person) - but as an engineer myself, I find this troubling - that being said, I also found some of the technical senior management not competent enough in managing some of the difficult situations which explains why they are heading in this direction.

5. COVID-19

"Believes their own hype. All that glitters is not gold"

Former Employee - Operations Team in Melbourne
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Culture Amp full-time

Pros

Most of the people are genuinely nice. The flexibility can be a real bonus. The location is great. Extroverts will find it easier to thrive

Cons

Toxic sychophancy is rife in some areas. General lack of accountability and addressing any issues. Would rather virtue signal than take meaningful action. Does not walk the walk

Continue reading

"The company is perfect for a learner."

4.0
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Culture Amp full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you want to learn things and you work hard, the company is perfect. The tech lead is talented, patient, and helpful, they teach me a lot. They really care about what you are feeling and learning. They have a lot of useful tech sharing meeting, you also have the chance to share your idea.

Cons

Too much meeting makes me hard to have enough time to focus on coding. Fast-paced development, some times makes me feel stressed, in the OKR related meetings I feel like the PM want to build a huge rocket in 6 weeks with limited resources.

January 10, 2021VP People and Experience

Thanks for your review. Really pleased to hear that leadership has been a highlight for you as we are focussing heavily on investing in our leaders to be effective coaches for each of our employees. We want all of our employees to feel like Culture Amp is the place for you to come if you want to grow, of which there are so many ways to do so given where we currently are placed on our company journey to achieve our mission. The point you raised on too many meetings is really valid. In 2020, meetings escalated with working at home as did the pace of work in general. We are currently working on how we work in a globally distributed work environment and this includes meetings cadence, decision making norms, knowledge management and of course connection and wellbeing. We haven't solved for it all yet but making solid progress and we hope to see improvements in our employee experience here in 2021. Your last point on resourcing is also one we take note of, we are in strong hiring mode now for great people to join us and many of these roles are in our Product Group, ensuring we have the right headcount to grow sustainably is a priority and we know at times in pockets we need to do more work here. Thanks again for your thoughtful review.

"One of the few genuinely authentic mission-focused companies in SaaS"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Culture Amp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Working on a mission that's genuinely ethically focused (changing how companies put people first). - Having an authentic CEO who's a world-class visionary leader and who is also approachable. - Being able to be involved with the world's leading companies, it's ridiculous how many top companies use Culture Amp. - Culture First ethos means Culture Amp internally aims to live to incredibly lofty standards (even if the leadership does sometimes struggle to meet all the demands of employees). - The great employee brand in the market means the types of people you work with tend to be highly skilled but also good to work with (e.g. no brilliant jerks). - The no-commission model allows provides psychological space to deliver a better service. - The products themselves are actually based on science, a lot of SaaS products out there are just based on an imaginary problem and then just focused on sales rather than being grounded in best practice scientific principles.

Cons

- The speed of change can be a challenge (I think you'd find that at most similar-sized companies). - Because Culture Amp leads the industry, there's a target on your back from a range of competitor products and it can be frustrating when other providers act mischievously or just have an entire strategy based on depositioning you (e.g. suggesting approaches that are not backed in science but are just different for the sake of convincing customers they should move away from CA). - The breadth and power of the platform does mean there's a big learning curve when starting (especially across Performance and Surveying). - As a VC-backed company, Culture Amp internally is cost-conscious when it comes to spending on staff outside of salaries, so there's no big Christmas bonuses, expensive lunches, or that sort of cash-splash benefits other technology companies may provide. - I listed it as a Pro above, but if you love commissions, then the no-commission model is a Con (unless you want to give it a go) .

Continue reading
  8. "Progressive organisation with a genuine mission to improve the world of work"

Current Employee - Lead Product Designer in Melbourne

I have been working at Culture Amp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A company that walks the talk. Progressive thinking, transparency from leadership, a culture that feels genuine with the best interests of its employees and customers at heart.

Cons

As any high-growth company that is scaling, there are many things that could always be better — maturity of processes for how product is shipped, striking the right balance of ambitious objectives while keeping workloads manageable — but nothing that is detrimental or show-stopping, IMO.

9. COVID-19

"Selling something that they aren't. Hypocritical leadership."

I worked at Culture Amp full-time

Pros

There are some lovely people there.

Cons

Leadership is hypocritical, selfish, untrustworthy and spineless, filled with empty promises. They talk a big 'people first' culture but when push comes to shove, they lay off a bunch of staff in the middle of a pandemic and then 3 months later give out a tonne of promotions and start rehiring again. All the while they are selling themselves as the company that really care for people first.

October 23, 2020CEO

Letting someone go in a layoff is one of the toughest things to do as a leader - but as tough as it is, it is not as tough as being let go. If I was in your shoes I would be angry too. Making that choice was not easy - but choosing not to do it would not have been a stronger, nor more principled choice. When covid hit I had to decide what to do so that Culture Amp could continue to deliver on it’s mission no matter how much worse things got. We had imperfect information about how bad things could get, and I held on as long as I could until I realised that I was trying so hard not to hurt anyone that I would end up hurting everyone. When we made that choice we did it after reducing every other cost we could, having leaders take pay cuts and committing to not doing our normal pay cycle review in the middle of the year - all so that we could keep as many people as possible. Yes - we did a promotion cycle several months after the layoffs, because we spoke to people and they said that even though there would be no pay rise attached they still wanted the recognition. And yes - we have started hiring again. Our customers held up better than we hoped they could, our teams rallied together and we are now doing more for customers than we ever have - and are growing because of it. We couldn't have predicted that, and they just as easily could have gone in the opposite direction. I thank you for everything you did in your time at Culture Amp and I apologise that your parting did not live up to what we both sought to do together. I don’t expect you to forgive me, or us, but I hope that this gives you a bit of clarity on what you've observed.

10. "Engaging environment with a strong focus on people and culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Culture Amp full-time

Pros

Culture Amp certainly walks the walk when it comes to people and culture. This doesn't mean they always get it right, but I do believe it is their priority.

Cons

The experience as an engineer is generally positive, though different parts of the product group work in different ways, so that can have an affect.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 81 Reviews