Culture Amp Employee Reviews about "culture amp"

Updated 25 Nov 2020

4.6
Culture Amp Founder & CEO Didier Elzinga (no image)
Didier Elzinga
Pros
  • "My experience with Culture Amp has been a very positive one(in 20 reviews)

• "I can see that the CEO is trying hard to connect with people and be culture-first - one of the influential leaders in Melbourne(in 7 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Culture Amp is one of the best places I've worked, but now that I'm no longer there (COVID layoffs) the values sting in hindsight(in 8 reviews)

• "It's a fast growing company so it's not always perfect(in 7 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "culture amp"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

One of the few genuinely authentic mission-focused companies in SaaS

28 Oct 2020 - Senior Customer Success Manager in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Working on a mission that's genuinely ethically focused (changing how companies put people first). - Having an authentic CEO who's a world-class visionary leader and who is also approachable. - Being able to be involved with the world's leading companies, it's ridiculous how many top companies use Culture Amp. - Culture First ethos means Culture Amp internally aims to live to incredibly lofty standards (even if the leadership does sometimes struggle to meet all the demands of employees). - The great employee brand in the market means the types of people you work with tend to be highly skilled but also good to work with (e.g. no brilliant jerks). - The no-commission model allows provides psychological space to deliver a better service. - The products themselves are actually based on science, a lot of SaaS products out there are just based on an imaginary problem and then just focused on sales rather than being grounded in best practice scientific principles.

Cons

- The speed of change can be a challenge (I think you'd find that at most similar-sized companies). - Because Culture Amp leads the industry, there's a target on your back from a range of competitor products and it can be frustrating when other providers act mischievously or just have an entire strategy based on depositioning you (e.g. suggesting approaches that are not backed in science but are just different for the sake of convincing customers they should move away from CA). - The breadth and power of the platform does mean there's a big learning curve when starting (especially across Performance and Surveying). - As a VC-backed company, Culture Amp internally is cost-conscious when it comes to spending on staff outside of salaries, so there's no big Christmas bonuses, expensive lunches, or that sort of cash-splash benefits other technology companies may provide. - I listed it as a Pro above, but if you love commissions, then the no-commission model is a Con (unless you want to give it a go) .

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

The values sting in hindsight

25 Nov 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent colleagues and great values

Cons

Culture Amp is one of the best places I've worked, but now that I'm no longer there (COVID layoffs) the values sting in hindsight. I have no qualms with the CEO - he's a great human. The company talks big about their values which is accurate because they do live them every day. I was one of those people that lived the values day in and day out. In fact, the values prompted me to go above and beyond what I was doing and help people around me have better experiences there. Then, I got thrust out into the world during a pandemic. I was cripplingly sad and felt betrayed. My time leading up to the layoff wasn't fantastic either. Continued mismanagement by leaders and struggling to juggle all the work I was being given, I was exhausted beyond belief but I stuck it through, because that's how much I believed in the company's mission. I trusted that the leaders knew what they were doing. I know, making the decision to lay people off isn't easy, but I refuse to believe that that was the only way out. Now, I hear news that Culture Amp is hiring again, and will quite possibly be hiring for the position I was let go from. It stings something deep.

12 people found this review helpful

Culture Amp Response

VP People and Experience

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you are doing ok. It does genuinely pain our leadership team that you have felt sadness and that decisions we made have led to you feeling like the values sting. We acknowledge that you feel this way, particularly as you have said that our values were something that you lived everyday and saw others do the same during your time with us. Our values continue to guide us through these uncertain times, both when we get it right and when we get it wrong, and also when there are differing points of view on what the right decision was to make on something - the layoffs have been an example of this... We made the decision to do the lay offs with the information we had in hand at the time, coupled with intense uncertainty as to what would lie ahead for us through COVID. As mentioned above, this is one of those decisions that everyone had a view on as to whether it was the right decision or not. Also with hindsight, of course these decisions could have been thought about differently. You are right that Culture Amp is hiring again. Some of the positions we hire will be in the same areas as those that were impacted by the lay offs back in May last year as we have more certainty now. Having said this, your unique contribution is always going to be just that - unique and you were part of our journey through such a critical time and for that we can't thank you enough. We hope that in time we can connect with you and learn more about how we could have improved your experience.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Engaging environment with a strong focus on people and culture

14 Jul 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture Amp certainly walks the walk when it comes to people and culture. This doesn't mean they always get it right, but I do believe it is their priority.

Cons

The experience as an engineer is generally positive, though different parts of the product group work in different ways, so that can have an affect.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's an amazing place to work

11 Sep 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Like anyone, I was afraid to leave an established business to join a start-up like Culture Amp. I took the risk and I am very glad that I chose to do so. Walking in on day one and I knew that I made the right choice. The people in the organisation are amazing! I've never worked for an organisation that deeply care about their employees. The leadership team are not afraid to try different things in order to be innovative from a team structure point of view. There are lots of great benefits such as modern technologies, learning programs, equity and much more!

Cons

It's not a place for everyone. It's a greenfield environment where you cannot hide like a big corporate. You are mostly likely going to do things outside of your role - everyone is here to make am impact.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Couldn't recommend more highly

16 Jul 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

- AMAZING people. From the founders right through the rest of the company, everyone you meet is authentic, willing to have a laugh, and genuinely interested in getting to know you. People are also just really good at their jobs, competency is really high across the board. - The work is challenging, with plenty of space for learning and development, but it is EASY. The daily stress is managed really well so you feel you can bring your full self to the job and solving interesting challenges. - Culture Amp is really invested in building a system and a culture that works even as they grow exponentially

Cons

Nothing so far, it's been a great experience all around.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Culture first approach softens the growing pains

25 Jun 2016 - Engineering Manager in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture Amp is a successful, fast-growing start-up with all the perks that come with that. You get to share a workplace with generally like-minded, happy, enthusiastic people working on something they care about. Moreover, unlike many tech startups, Culture Amp is building a product that makes a true positive difference in the world, and has hundreds of businesses that pay real money to use it. That is a rare combination in this industry, and I feel privileged to be a part of it. Culture Amp has an excellent learning & development policy, where there is a quarterly, company-wide budget and you get to draw from it for anything you like (a book, a training session, even a conference), as long as you’re willing to put your name to that expenditure where the rest of the company can see it. More than any company I’ve worked at before, Culture Amp puts time and effort into its workplace culture. You might think this is obvious, given that the company sells a people analytics platform for measuring and improving company culture, but companies don’t always practice what they preach. I’m happy to say that Culture Amp walks the walk. Some weeks, it can feel like I spend more time on initiatives to support company culture than I do on my “job”. At least four times a year everyone in the company takes an Employee Engagement survey, pores over the results, and then gets involved in initiatives to improve them. This kind of attention to company culture is exceedingly rare for a company of this size (<100 people as of this writing). If you buy into the value of these efforts, you’ll fit right in. Culture Amp has offices in Melbourne Australia, San Francisco, New York and London. If you join, you’ll likely have some opportunity to travel internationally within the first year or so, if that’s something that interests you. Culture Amp’s stated company values are real and felt day-to-day: 1) learn faster through feedback; 2) trust people to make decisions; and 3) have the courage to be vulnerable. If you connect with these, you’ll likely find Culture Amp an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

The cons of Culture Amp are the same ones that come with any fast-growing start-up: there is always more to do than time to do it in; the company is continually outgrowing its tools and processes; and the continual need to hire more people and train them up can get in the way of the day-to-day of delivering great work. They’re good problems to have, but if a high-growth environment is a drag for you, you’ll feel that frustration here.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

I feel very fortunate to be at Culture Amp

7 Apr 2020 - Account Executive in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

My experience with Culture Amp has been a very positive one. The organisation truly cares about its employees and invests heavily in employee development to give everyone the resources that they need to get to their 'next role', whether that is internal or external. There is a clear path to progression here. Not only that, everyone works hard to ensure that we keep hold of the Culture that makes this place so special. Last year, the company flew everyone to the Yarra Valley, Australia, for 'Culture CAmp' where ~320 of us got to spend a week amongst each other for team building exercises, strategy and vision workshops, etc. The Culture Amp product itself is top notch. We're very luck to work with some of the most innovative companies in the People & Culture space, and that pushes our product teams to do more. The pace of product development has really improved over the past 18 months and we're now shipping new functionalities weekly. Lastly and more crucially, our CEO, Didier, is an exceptional man. He's been even more present & transparent over the past month, and it's been so reassuring to have him and the rest of the Exec team at the helm during Covid. I feel very fortunate to be at Culture Amp, and even more so today.

Cons

We're a global organisation with offices in Mebourne, San Francisco, NYC and London, which brings about communication challenges. We use slack and zoom a lot..! It's be great to see more transparency around pay brackets.

8. 5.0

The Real Deal

10 Jul 2020 - Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture Amp is the real deal. You learn a lot about your employer during a global pandemic and I can honestly say that our CEO, leadership team, HR function and wider colleagues stepped up big time. Our Culture has always been what makes us successful but in times of change and uncertainty it has helped us thrive, adapt and continue to deliver in ways that only Culture Amp can.

Cons

Set boundaries and stick to them, the work is fun and the people are great but make sure to put time aside for yourself to look after your wellbeing as working in a fast paced company with passionate people can be tiring.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great company with leaders who truly care about employees and customers

2 Oct 2020 - Workforce Scientist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture Amp is a leader in the workforce development space, and they hire wonderful, talented professionals.

Cons

Culture Amp is a truly global company and it can be difficult to keep up with internal communications across time zone ranging from Australia to Europe.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Inspiring Culture & Leaders

20 Apr 2020 - SDR in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I first started I was extremely sceptical that any organisation really lived their values they had printed out on a wall, but after a few months I came to realise that the culture at Culture Amp was lived by each and every employee (managers, leaders, SDRs etc). All of our leaders, specifically including our CXOs, are so damn inspiring in so many ways. They live the value of "Have the courage to be vulnerable" by sharing their thoughts and strategies super often and running VERY open AMAs. I truly believe crisis doesn't build character, it reveals it; and I've been extremely inspired (enough to make a Glassdoor review) by our teams, company and leadership. So grateful to work for Culture Amp and Dider right now!

Cons

None Applicable for me right now.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews