Daimler Trucks North America Intern - Hourly Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 371 reviews

3.5
Daimler Trucks North America CEO Roger Nielsen
Roger Nielsen
  1. "Great exposure to how a global company operates, and very attractive employee benefits"

Current Employee - Head of Customer Experience in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cons

Can be slow-moving, and silo'd. And needs a continued focus on diversity & inclusion.

Daimler Trucks North America2019-07-02

"Don't do it."

Former Employee - Assembler in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will appreciate your next job.

Cons

Sweat shop. Bad union deal.

Advice to Management

Just close the place and forget it ever happened.

Daimler Trucks North America2019-06-29

"Horrible management"

Former Employee - Material Handler in Gastonia, NC

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved my job, I went above and beyond to prove I should be there and I wanted my job permanently!

Cons

If someone's family member is there and not even doing their job, they will be selected over you, no matter how hard you work and extra hours you put in!

Advice to Management

I did summer hire last year in my local area, went above and beyond to prove how much I wanted a job, I was told over and over I would, and I believed in it and in the company! Others were selected over me that was the sons and daughters of people that had worked there for years and didnt even work as hard as I did. This year I wanted to try to get in again because I truly loved my job and i tried another plant, they...

Daimler Trucks North America2019-07-10

"discriminatory culture"

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time

Pros

free tea, coffee and fruits

Cons

Daimler has a bad reputation around the town for its very discriminatory and exclusive culture. Employees have huge egos. minorities and contractors are second class citizens. technology is on the lower end of the software spectrum. Daimler has light years to catch up to the high tech. modern, inclusive and highly collaborative companies on the west coast.

Advice to Management

you have nothing to offer to attract and keep talent. people run away because of limited opportunities and the challenging exclusive working culture.

Daimler Trucks North America2019-06-16

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
      No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Decent benefits - Depending on manager very flexible work/life balance - WFH days

Cons

- policies not always consistent across all teams - salaries lag behind industry standard

Daimler Trucks North America2019-05-05
    • "Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Gaffney, SC

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Great Work/Life Balance -Spectacular 401(k) match and non elective contributions ($0.75 of every dollar match up to 8% of base salary also a non-elective company contribution as well: under 40 is an additional 3%, under 50 is 5% and over is 7%. Therefore if an employee makes the 8% 401(k) contribution the company will match 9%, 11% or 13% depending on age.) -Mercedes-Benz lease program (if played correctly: zero down,...

Cons

-Pay could be better but it is not terrible. -Facilities are decent for a manufacturing plant but there is no gym and a non-maintained walk-way -Tools needed for the job are not always readily available

Daimler Trucks North America2019-05-07

"Always Busy"

Former Employee - Internship in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked in the offices directly above the truck plant, so we always had plenty to do. Very welcoming environment, and the people are great. They really want you to do well, and offer plenty of help (as long as they aren't swamped). I loved pretty much everything. Great experience juggling projects and such.

Cons

Hard to apply for jobs because interns have to wait for them to go external first. Besides that, just recognize that as an intern you are technically the lowest priority, even though they don't make you feel like that. Also, projects are totally random, just depends on what the plant needs most at that time, so speak up and fight for projects you want but always be flexible.

Advice to Management

I loved my boss (Lamar Jenkins). He was probably the best part of the whole internship. He really cares about his workers. He'll probably retire soon though, so whoever replaces him has big shoes to fill.

Daimler Trucks North America2019-04-27

"Great benefits, but..."

Former Employee - Senior Pricing Analyst

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time

Pros

Great benefits and career building opportunities.

Cons

Competition between coworkers, especially women, creates a hostile work environment. Expect deliberate sabotage.

Daimler Trucks North America2019-05-03
      • "Great company- significant culture change for the better!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
        No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Benefits, career growth opportunities, culture changes improving

Cons

Company Processes can limit progress, diversity in executive leadership is limited.

Advice to Management

Empathy is important- employees do not have same life style or standard of living as executives- remember that when making decisions that impact employees.

Daimler Trucks North America2019-04-22

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Supervisor

Pros

Good vacation policy - 4 weeks awarded from day 1.

Cons

Deeply hierarchical culture, definite glass ceiling for women and non-Germans, bogged down by process. Decisions take forever to be implemented, even after the long torturous process of arriving at that decision

Advice to Management

stop implementing policies that drive away talent

Daimler Trucks North America2019-05-17