DataSphere Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.5
Satbir Khanuja

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The last straw that got me to come clean was the memory of falsifying being done on Glassdoor by upper management" (in 11 reviews)

• "Quotas are reached by about 30-40% of the sales reps each month" (in 7 reviews)

"I hope this review gets to you in time..."

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-There are some great people within the company. Lots of employees hangout outside of office hours.

-Work-life balance. 40 hours a week, no overtime allowed (but that also means if you're not at quota, you cannot stay later)

Cons

- Unethical and misleading sales approach. The sales pitch is made to sound like you are a part of the news stations you are selling for. Most customers figure this is not the case and end up cancelling which takes money out of your pay.

- Selling a product that doesn’t work combined with negative company/product reviews across the board:

Tr*stPilot.com (Verified Customers): 2 stars out of 328 reviews (considered “Poor” by their standards). If you take a look at the “positive” reviews, most are people who just signed up and are praising the sales or customer service employees (of course the sales people are going to be friendly, they’re making money off of you!) Most of these positive reviews say “I hope this works out!” or “I’m excited to see how this works!” Funny how these reviews change after a few months in.

Y*lp.com: 1 star with over 140 reviews

B*B.org: 1 star (a few years ago DataSphere was an F but they paid to get a better score (yes BBB actually does this)). It's already back down to a 1 star.

-If you think DataSphere is bad, look up their parent company Sinclair Broadcast Group, it's even worse. Here are some search phrases to look into: "Datasphere rippoff report", “Sinclair Scripted news” “Sinclair John Oliver” or “Sinclair Trump”

-A company that is ALWAYS hiring for the same role should make you stop and ask WHY. They’ll claim it’s because they’re “growing” but it's because sales reps either get fired for performance, get sick of cold calling 60-90 numbers a day, are tired of endless chargebacks because of negative reviews, or lack of growth.

-Most managers are not compensated enough to care about anything but their paycheck. Managers are instructed to “coach out" those who are not performing. Your desk will be moved to the outskirts of your team (the manager has 20+ other sales reps to help so they have to prioritize the ones who are making them money.) You'll notice any small thing gets you written up. Made below 90 dials or less than 2 hours of talk time? Written up. 5 mintues late because of traffic? Written up. This is so they can fire you justly without worrying about a lawsuit.

-Recruiting is misleading during the interview process. I was not given a breakdown of the commission structure until the 4th day of training during my first week. No one else I've talked to received it either. If you're working a COMMISSION SALES job, you better know how you're going to be paid. I’ve walked by during a phone interview and overheard them quoting being able to make "$170k each year!" In the 10+ years datasphere has been around, ONE person was able to make close to that, and they were (illegally) staying in the office longer than their shift (and not getting paid any overtime, of course). Ask yourself, if ANYONE could do it, why has there only been ONE person in over a decade?

-During your first week in training they'll show you a framed “$13,000 commission check that paid out over $20k!" to motivate you on what you could be making. What they won't tell you is that happened back in 2012 when DataSphere was partnered with a lot larger (and a lot more) news stations in better cities, most who’ve ended their partnerships because of the unethical (see ALL above) sales tactics and underperforming products. Ask them why they’ve lost so many partnerships and listen to management stammer when trying to come up with believable BS.

-I witnessed a high level manager falsifying GlassDoor reviews. He was in his office with one of the Recruiters and was posting multiple "Account Executive" reviews. Any glassdoor review that “can’t think of a single” con should seem fishy. Ask yourself, with so many negative reviews, a reviewer that can’t think of a single suggestion to improve datasphere seems odd. (Really, if you're going to cheat the system, be a little more realistic...)

-You know it's bad when you see recent reviews from Tempe, Arizona. DataSphere used to have a Tempe, AZ location before it shut it down leaving 100 employees and managers without jobs. Almost 3 years later and these reviews are still popping up.

I was a consistent top performer and leader on my team. Because of this, I was given special treatment. I could stroll in late or leave several hours early if I had a good sales day. I was allowed to sell in certain markets that no one else could. It CAN be a cushy job if you're one of the 2-3 top performers on your team (which is why I feel some of the longer tenured reps have not ventured out of DataSphere). Misconduct is covered up by management if you are valuable enough, this includes coming to work wasted or smoking weed in the parking lot. However, if you are not a top performer, the complete opposite happens. You are written up for anything and everything, this way it's documented so it's easier to fire you. Company parties can be fun unless you're not selling. Imagine coming to work fully dressed in a silly costume only to be pulled into a manager's office right before the party starts and told you're being let go. How humiliating (and not uncommon). If you think everyone is safe during around Christmas, think again. Come to think of it, you can also be a top performer and not be safe. I know someone who was fired even after selling $1,000 OVER his quota because he didn't make enough dials.

After moving on and seeing what an ETHICAL company with a great product and culture is like, I felt the need to voice what I’ve seen and experienced over the years. I have seen too many people leave great jobs to start working at DataSphere because they think they are joining a company that is not what it seems. I felt bad seeing people leave great careers for an ENTRY level sales role thinking they can make more money than they will. I've been away from the company for some time now but am still haunted by guilt. I've sold to customers knowing the product will not work for their business. The last straw that got me to come clean was the memory of falsifying being done on Glassdoor by upper management. If you’re an applicant or have been contacted by DataSphere, I really hope this review reaches you before you leave your current role, especially if you have a family or mortgage. If you are interested in sales, there are so many other established companies with products that actually work.

Advice to Management

Get back to the type of culture that DataSphere was before the Sinclair buyout.

Compensate your sales managers better. When 3 out of the last 5 promoted managers step down to go back to their "entry level" sales role because they weren't making enough money, somethings wrong. People should WANT to be managers.

2. "It was great!"

Pros

Everyone at DataSphere was great, from the ground level to the president himself (who held the door open for me one time).

Cons

I have absolutely no complaints about this company other than it was far away so my commute was long.

3. "Positive company culture, negative reality"

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time

Pros

They really know how to work the sales coolaid and keep folks somewhat positive while the ship is sinking.

Cons

It is difficult to have faith in the product when one commonly loses sales to a terrible company reputation and experiences chargebacks that are out of the reps control.

Advice to Management

Just keep swimming?

4. "Account Executive"

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly supportive atmosphere. People are very supportive and helpful. The hours are good, and you get out rarly. Lots of incentives beyond regular pay. The sales commission incentive is great if you do well.

Cons

Its a grind. Its monotonous. You here a lot of no's to get to the yes. It takes a strong mind set and the ability to stay posititve in between sales.
    Its very difficult when you make sale after sale only to lose it do to reqsons out of your control.

Advice to Management

Rebrand. The name is detrimental because of the begative reviews. Either rebrand or fix the problems. If they have truly all been fixed, the negativea reviews should stop. Or fix the problems.

5. "Account Exective"

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No work outside of work hours
    Flexible/multiple full time work shifts available to choose from
    Encouraging and supportive upper management
    Very energetic work environment

Cons

Wished there was a part time option available

6. "Fun place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment,
    Great co workers and managers,
    Lots of games to keep moral high,
    Good pay if you're a high seller
    Build PTO really fast

Cons

Not a lot of faith in the product
    Emotional based sales
    Low pay if you're a mediocre seller

Advice to Management

Management does the best they can with the product.

7. "Great culture, benefits, and leadership- love the set schedule!!"

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company culture with big company benefits. Collaborative culture where success is celebrated, including floor wide applause for every sale. Top performing account executives are more than willing to help newer account executives as they find their way, and demonstrate true mentorship. The leaders are passionate about their teams and are very supportive.
    Set schedule, easy access to the office right off I-90, monthly company lunches and quarterly events.
    The uncapped commission structure keeps your work challenging and engaging. When your earning potential is unlimited there is no such thing as an end goal!

Cons

Calling out to businesses you hear no more often than yes, but if you are resilient and can have thick skin then its not so bad.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive your teams through passion and seeing the potential in your teams. All the leaders truly care and it helps that they have all sat in the same seats as what they are now managing.

8. "Fun work environment"

I worked at DataSphere Technologies full-time

Pros

Lots of fun spiffs and competitions.

Cons

Client list has been called through pretty heavily, especially with the common industries.

9. "Datasphere is awesome!"

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance.
    Great schedule.
    Positive work environment.

Cons

Can't think of a single one.

10. "Great Work Environment"

I have been working at DataSphere Technologies full-time

Pros

- Friendly people that are always supportive
    - Great energy which makes the whole building a lot of fun
    - Great work life balance

Cons

Do not have any cons