David Evans and Associates Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 15 November 2018

4.2
Al Barkouli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company is committed to employee morale and work-life balance" (in 5 reviews)

• "Access to corporate resources and support for IT, HR, and administration and great to have, good people there" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "non-billable work all while ensuring an appropriate work / life balance" (in 2 reviews)

• "The hydrographic department as a whole has very poor communication" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Recent Hire"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently left a large company to join DEA. What interested me the most was their client focused approach to doing business. The culture I left was very bureaucratic and too corporate. Every person I have interacted with so far has being extremely pleasant to work with and very helpful. I can see that this truly is a client focused company.

Cons

Nothing that I have noticed so far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the strong client focus.

2. "An EXCELLENT company to work for"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Vancouver, WA (US)
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Vancouver, WA (US)

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time

Pros

A great work environment with very generous staff. The entire interview and hiring process was very organized and went smoothly. A very close knit group who care for each other.

Cons

I do not have any cons at this time

3. "Office Administrator"

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Woodinville, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Woodinville, WA (US)

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New employees are informed and provided detailed information about benefits, work environment, etc.. Company is committed to employee morale and work-life balance. Great team environment in the office, co-workers engagement is positive and leadership seems committed to both customer satisfaction and employee satisfaction.

Cons

I cannot see any Cons at this time.

"A New Hire's First Impressions"

Current Employee - Freight Rail EIT in Tacoma, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Freight Rail EIT in Tacoma, WA (US)

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far, everyone has been helpful and supportive of me. My supervisors do not shy from giving me helpful advice about the job and living in the Tacoma area. My co-workers have also been great about helping me with the occasional "No one seems to know this" problem.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say.

5. "New Hire"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Salem, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Salem, OR (US)

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic team! Very helpful & welcoming. Very professional & accommodating. Instantly feel like a team member.

Cons

I have not found a down side.

Advice to Management

Great Job!

6. "Happy with company and interview process"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cultural drivers: communication, clear expectations, trust, accountability, initiative/creativity, collaboration/teamwork highly evident
    Supportive environment
    Growth opportunities
    Women in leadership positions
    Morale boosting activities (office happy hours, lunches, etc.)
    Flexible hours

Cons

Some processes/procedures vary by individual when they should be standardized
    Flexible hours/work from home sometimes blurs line between work/home life

Advice to Management

I appreciate that lunch is provided at the occasional voluntary staff meetings, but I think the meetings themselves should be paid time.

7. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR (US)

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Amazing co-workers
    - People-focused employer
    - High integrity company
    - Commitment to clients, employees

Cons

- Working to accommodate changing needs of the emerging workforce

Advice to Management

- Continue to evolve and pay close attention to the changing landscape
    - Resist the temptation to rely on on past successes or methods

8. "Regional Accounting Leader"

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Tacoma, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting Specialist in Tacoma, WA (US)

Pros

Good Company to work for.

Cons

work/life balance can be a challenge.

"Great People-Focused Medium Sized Company"

Current Employee - Group Leader in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at David Evans and Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

DEA is medium sized employee-owned company that still authentically focuses on its people and clients. I appreciate knowing the senior leadership on a first-name basis and having the opportunity to shape the direction and workflow processes in the firm. The 9/80 work schedule is great for those with an active life-style. DEA also invests significantly on leadership training that develops employee self-awareness and personal growth. Employees work here because they really do care about the company they work for, and they want to see DEA thrive and remain employee-owned despite the consolidating engineering industry.

Cons

There are a few internal workflow processes that could be improved with technology such as timecards, expense reports, etc. Also, like any company in today's market, there is a pressure to focus on revenue growth and profit; that is apparent with small reduction in benefits over the past few years to keep our overhead in line with larger firms.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that DEA leadership continuously practice the "core" of what makes DEA a great company; one that truly "improves the quality of life by being stewards to the built and natural environment". This means not only focusing on revenue growth to succeed as a business, but also on employees through great benefits and rewards, clients through excellent service, and most importantly, the planet by making sustainability a top priority on the projects we design. Doing this will set DEA apart from other firms in the rapidly changing engineering industry.

10. "David Evans and Associates"

I worked at David Evans and Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall on okay place to work, nothing special.

Cons

Very corporate centered, policy not people oriented. Life/work balance is hard to maintain especially for salaried employees, salaried not eligible for overtime is taken advantage of.

Advice to Management

Remember people are more important than corporate policies.