Davidson Hotels & Resorts Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.4
Davidson Hotels & Resorts President and CEO John A. Belden
John A. Belden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Opportunity for growth, they always have job listings available for you to transfer to a new property anywhere in the country" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great people, great benefits, opportunity to grow, move, and be challenged" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also work/life balance wasn't as great as other companies" (in 6 reviews)

• "Poor organization, low wages, long hours" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Underwhelming to say the least"

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Decent benefits. Opportunity for growth, they always have job listings available for you to transfer to a new property anywhere in the country. Cheap employee rates at company hotels too, if you're traveling.

Cons

They come in hot making changes, swearing up and down that they are going to improve your hotel. "BIG REMODEL COMING! LOOK FORWARD TO THAT!" was all they talked about during their acquisition. Made a few small changes and flipped the property. It happens in the hotel industry, and I think they just took on more than they knew that they were getting into when they acquired the hotel I work for.

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement. Let your staff do what they're supposed to do.

18 Dec 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for sharing your comments. I agree with your “pros” and I too am a fan of our sister hotels’ great team member rates! Your comments are anonymous, so I cannot speak to your “cons... More

2. "No direction"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts (Less than a year)

Pros

I did not witness any positives during my employment period. There were many staff resigning or getting fired.

Cons

They claim values but is just words on a piece paper. Management do not practice it. I personally witnessed a conflict issue that was brought to management . Management pushed it back to the staff and told them to resolve it through law enforcement. Is ridiculous.

17 Dec 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your concerns related to your employment at one of our hotels. I am so sorry your experience was so unsatisfactory. I would very much like to discuss... More

3. "Direcor of Revenue Management"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Great people! Great experiences! Feel supported by corporate staff.

Cons

Nothing. Great place to work.

4. "Housekeeping"

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Eugene, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Eugene, OR (US)

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The full-time because it’s good

Cons

The bad thing is that when I was working it’s close

5. "Davidson"

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, Company its self cares for their employees, over all just a great company to work for.

Cons

Not many locations to transfer to just yet.

6. "Fantastic Company, Phenomenal Culture"

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time

Pros

The culture at Davidson is beyond great. My team is an absolute joy to work with. They are truly like family.

Cons

Would appreciate more communication from senior leadership on where the company is growing, but they are getting better at this.

7. "No longer a leader in the industry"

I have been working at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great coworkers on team

Cons

Mediocre hotels in group
    Job insecurity
    Lack of diversity
    Leadership team has no work/life balance
    Old fashioned and lacking technology
    Bad reputation in industry

Advice to Management

The selling point of this company is how long people have been with the company as if it is a strength. It isn’t. People don’t leave because they are comfortable and not admired in the industry enough for other companies to want to steal people away. It’s been clear for some time that investors aren’t happy and most of the hotels in the group struggle. Might as well change the name to Pivot. Things are getting worse, not better.

25 Jun 2018 – Director of Recruiting

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns on your employment at our hotel. We are very pleased that you feel that you had great co-workers on your team. I respectfully disagree with... More

8. "Loyal leaders could be supported more"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At least in our region they were wonderful with promoting from within and growing their leaders. Benefits and salary were good and competitive. Training was also great and processes were fairly clear. Hotels in our city had good communication and stuck together.

Cons

Witnessed them terminate loyal leaders fairly quickly at one property. Leaders who had been with the company 3-5 years were being dropped like flies. Perhaps it was the specific property but it's sad to see such great growth and then little support to keep those leaders on board. Also work/life balance wasn't as great as other companies.

Advice to Management

Obviously if an employee violates a major rule - termination is expected. If a seasoned leader is struggling in a role support and/or training would be wonderful or even looking for moving said employee. Loyalty to a company should be valued. Lastly required management hours seem to nickel and dime you on your time. Most hotels are 8-5, this company requires 8-5:30 which can make work/life balance just slightly harder to achieve. Seems like a small detail but it makes a huge difference to some.

14 May 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you so much for adding your comments to our Glassdoor page. I agree with all the “pros” you mentioned! We are a company that strives to fill open positions from within – and I am so happy... More

9. "Company unsure future; trust is a concern from Corporate Offixe"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people at hotels. There is a ton of very talented people. If you have an opportunity to recruit them do it!

Cons

I have watched very good people be dismissed for no reason. The company has changed since change in COO. Profit and real estate driven focus. Not service excellence as they state to the public. New COO has not operated so Leadership is from the top down.

Advice to Management

If you are a Manager be very concerned with your career path and stability with Davidson. They will work you for results and demand more. They have no growth for leaders, no career pathing process and unless you are VERY good at politics then do not speak your mind.

30 Apr 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for sharing your comment on Glass Door. I appreciate that you have observed our hotels are filled with talented people. I am in charge of human resources and I can assure you that team... More

10. "Great Company"

I worked at Davidson Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They truly believe employees matter.
    Regional team regularly engaged with hotel teams.
    Good corporate support for each operating department.
    Good 401K plan and benefits.
    Encourage your continued learning and development.
    Company continues to grow, so there should also be an increase in career advancement opportunities.

I worked at multiple Davidson-managed hotels and had a positive experience at each one.

Cons

Lack of defined training/development for internal career paths. (Still, they encourage growth.)
    Salaries aren't too competitive.
    Work/life balance isn't great. (But that's at any hotel...)

Advice to Management

Continue to engage your existing hotel teams with learning and development opportunities. Offering more competitive salaries will help you retain top talent in the long-term.