Domestic & General Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 14 February 2019

Domestic & General Group CEO Ian Mason
Ian Mason

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a sense of cameraderie between employees and most team leaders are very easy to get along with" (in 23 reviews)

• "Great company to work for, great people, progression and training" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "But the main one is the management and team leaders" (in 26 reviews)

• "Career progression is limited due to he size of the organisation, but D&G does make up for this through offering variety within roles" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great team"

Former Employee - Claims Coordinator in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Claims Coordinator in Melbourne

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment and friendly people.

Cons

Salary is on the lower scale of the market

2. "Great Management, Decent Company"

Former Employee - Customer Sales Representative (Whirlpool) in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management are fantastic (in Nottingham at least).
    The people on Whirlpool are great to work with.
    The benefits are good such as healthcare, cycle to work, pension scheme etc.

Cons

The hours are all over the place.
    The people in other departments can sometimes be rude and unhelpful.
    Not much communication for senior sections of the company.

Advice to Management

Sort out other areas of the business such as Reso, and PR as many of the cannot be bothered to help and it gets to the point where agents spend ages trying to sort a customers problem that isn’t there job purely because other departments are unhelpful. Also, sort out the relationship with Hotpoint as they are absolutely abysmal.

3. "It's getting better but still work to do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England (UK)

Pros

D&G are alway willing to look at ways to improve, and they have undertaken huge transformation of their products and sales techniques which is great.
    Great salary for contact centre agents.
    Good opportunities to develop if you have a can-do attitude and can prove yourself.
    Lots of great, passionate people, especially in the call centre - everyone wants to help each other out and the One Team value really comes to life in this part of the business
    Local discounts on food are excellent, the free insurance plan is a great benefit, and discounts are available on additional plans too.

Cons

There's always promise of change but the stuff that impacts the employees never seems to, which makes it feel like you're being paid lip service and the senior leadership don't really want to change.
    Some salaries aren't competitive such as team leader, so we don't attract the high quality people we need in their kind of roles.
    D&G want people to embrace the company values but nothing happens if people don't so they lose their impact as some employees, including some senior level ones, get away with treating other people poorly instead of taking accountability for their own failings.

Advice to Management

Review salaries for non agent roles, look at similar jobs in other organizations and make yourself competitive, until things change on a cultural level, better pay is your only lever to keep talent.

4. "D&G Nottingham"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with. My manager gives me loads of support. OM are making a difference and you can really feel change with the new site manger. Get good training to help meet targets. QA is much better and new commission means I make more money and its fairer

Cons

Shift patterns are rubbish. I can't arrange my life because always having to work different hours and days

Advice to Management

Get fixed shift patterns so people can plan their lifes.

5. "Domestic and general Nottingham branch"

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

Nice friendly colleagues, decent pay and breaks

Cons

Work until 11 pm, micromanaged so always have to be on your toes. Never know when the next meeting will be

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities for staff to develop.

"Okay for the short run"

Former Employee - Full Time Staff in Wimbledon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Full Time Staff in Wimbledon, England (UK)

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wimbledon office location is good.
    Free coffee/tea. Fruits once a week
    Decent local discounts
    Some talented people who are interested in working towards propelling the business forward, but mostly they get sidelined or move on to other roles/companies.

Cons

Management pretends to listen to your concerns, but then nothing happens
    Understaffed, especially in Staff functions like Legal, HR, Procurement and Finance. This is due to high-turnover.
    Low pay and pay rise is minuscule. Bonuses are rarely what they are promised.
    Employee turnover much higher than industry and you come to know why
    Poor planning of IT infrastructure
    Blame culture - departments are busy pointing fingers, rather than finding a common solution. Higher management turns a blind eye to this.
    Many departments work in isolation, unwilling to work with other departments to protect their budgets.

Advice to Management

Invest time & resources in areas which are lacking. High turnover is not going to get resolved unless the culture of the organisation is changed.

7. "Good Money if you're prepared to risk Health"

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

Free fruit, healthcare, pension, discounts in nearby stores and overall good benefits package
    Comprehensive training and on-boarding with down-to-earth people
    Learning on the job and applying training, sharing best practices encouraged

Cons

They will pay you well, but always look for reasons to part pay you
    High-stress environment, not for the faint of heart
    The processes around health and general well-being are convoluted and long
    Inter-departmental communication problems and assumptions leading to errors are a common occurrence

Advice to Management

Continue to try finding a balanced approach, keep having dialogue with those on the lines as well as those in the back-end.

8. "good company"

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good company but no progress at all

Cons

no progress especially at the lower level

9. "Customer Support Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best place I have worked so far in terms of being looked after as an employee and department atmosphere, so I would definitely recommend it. Friendly colleagues, generally team leaders are all very down to earth, approachable and supportive, being internal progressed employee hires who understand the job. nice atmosphere, good salary for what the job is, one hour break and two fifteen minute breaks across the day, free hot beverages and on three days a week free fruit to snack on, central location, casual dress code, free employee assistance programme giving access to counsellors on the phone and other support. The company is doing a lot to make it a better company to work for. Many new benefits and employee discounts being rolled out incl health plans, ability to purchase an extra week of holiday for the year, discounted cinema tickets and restaurants etc. Good experience for a first call centre job which sets you up well for other related roles in the city. If your stats are tight enough you can progress quite quickly to other roles/ management.

Cons

Very abstract job which takes months on the phone to understand and could be explained better. Some customers can be extremely rude over the phone and difficult to deal with, very repetitive work which can be very boring - discussions about household appliances for your entire day. Out dated office environment (currently being refurbished). Rolling shift patterns which change every week make it hard to have work life balance. A lot of the systems we use day to day are outdated and difficult to use. The company doesn't invest training into you after initial foundation training, and basics refresher time has to be really pushed for even when things have changed, are going wrong and you're getting in trouble. Compliance constantly changes and its hard and tiring to keep up with. Most of the more interesting staff discounts are catered to London based Head office staff. No team building time.

Advice to Management

Remove the existing rolling shift patterns ranging from anywhere between 7am-10pm shifts week to week, so the call centre agents have a sense of consistency in their lives. You can have specific slots which people opt in for and stay the same so they can work work around their lives, instead of the other way around. Invest more in your employees. Teach them about insurance, the regulators, our position against other insurance companies, the vision, real life stories from customers about the benefits of being our customers. Head office / directors should visit the Brighton departments so we know who you are, and what you actually do day to day apart from earning lots of money, whilst a lot of our work equipment like keyboards and chairs are half broken in the call centres .. Organise the company and link the departments so everyone understands how we function. I don't think head office directors fully understand how departments work and make poor decisions for us based on this. Have a clearer picture of the company to provide to agents to teach them how the company works , how we work with all of our clients, what differing services we provide to them, as it will mean agents are more invested in the company and customers have a better experience. Customer support feels like a bubble sometimes. Remove single use plastic cups in the centres and improve environmental standards across the business as it seems very wasteful.

"Good pay, bad ethics"

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

-Great salary and bonus schemes

Cons

-Treat you like children, micro-managing at every level
    -Only care about stats, not quality of calls

Advice to Management

Quality over quantity, not that it matters as AI will take over call centre jobs in the next 10 years anyway