Dream Unlimited Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 21 Aug 2019

4.1
Dream Unlimited CEO Michael J. Cooper
Michael J. Cooper
  1. "A place where you can actually contribute"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A young, enthusiastic team full of people driven to improve. Sometimes it means heated opinions, but it's always with the goal of finding a better solution. If you're the kind of person that just wants to join a company where you can comfortably settle into being a cog in the wheel, there's probably more stable places to work that expect less of you. If you want to be able to contribute, share your ideas and fight... for them, and make a tangible difference, no matter your title, Dream offers an amazing opportunity. The company's efforts ultimately shape the way and quality with which people live their lives, which is incredibly rewarding, and working closely with a multi-regional team provides you exposure to a range of unique perspectives.

Cons

The environment can be pretty fluid. The company is always trying to adapt and change, and while that can generally be a good thing, it means you don't get the comfort of knowing exactly what's expected of you for years on end. The culture can also lean toward over-work, and you can find yourself creeping toward the same too resulting in work/life balance issues, but that's tempered by a great deal of accomodation... for people who keep more strict schedules. Dream also has a great deal of technology to enable cross-regional teams to function as one, but technical limitations or restrictions can feel overbearing or less efficient than they could be.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage innovation, but perhaps balance it with some through-line stability for those that are less adaptable. Teams involved with creation tend to be much more enthusiastic than those with administrative tasks, so give those latter members more opportunities to see how their work, no matter how many degrees of separation away from the end product they are, still contributes to better outcomes.

Dream Unlimited2018-06-07
  2. "Working at Dream is more than just a job."

Current Employee - Site Superintendent in Regina, SK

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Great family benefits package. Working at Dream means being part of a community and a culture. We strive to create trend setting and innovative communities that people are proud to be a part of. Our work doesn't just start and stop with construction. We are active members of volunteer organizations, fundraisers and numerous events within the Dream communities that we build throughout the... year. Dream provides it's staff with many perks, tools and access to information to ensure that we can all meet and exceed the goals we set for ourselves each year.

Cons

Working in construction means being subjected to the upwards and downwards swings of the market. Dream is not immune to these swings and sometimes the volatile market swings can affect your employment. This is just the nature of construction and will be a factor in any job in this industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. But always be looking to promote the individual strengths of the staff. Some peoples strongest assets aren't always tied to the job they are in. There are some hidden gems within this corporation.

Dream Unlimited2018-06-07
  3. "Dynamic and engaging work environment"

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People orientated; compassionate and caring workforce; interesting projects that really add to their communities;

Cons

Learning curve is pretty high; responsibilities can be too large for the role;

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the people and communities that are involved in the company, help to develop managers who are both intelligent but more importantly good leaders!

Dream Unlimited2018-06-21
  4. "Dream"

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and contribute. Management is very approachable and open to new ideas and suggestions. Dream is very engaged with the community, supporting and sponsoring amazing projects and events, such as Shoebox Project and Invictus Games .

Cons

Company should have a better career plan, very hard for intermediate employees to get a promotion, whereas employees on a senior level get promoted quite often. Benefits are pretty standard, company should offer better benefits. Very high turnover.

Dream Unlimited2018-06-21
  5. "Excellent company!"

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time

Pros

Highly positive environment - working with genuinely good people. Excellent benefits as well. The open desk/seating is inviting and you don't hesitate if you have a question for someone. (Don't need to knock on closed doors to talk with someone!) I love that Dream has so many volunteering events as well. It's good to see a company putting so much effort into the community.

Cons

No downsides to report! I've only had positive experiences here.

Dream Unlimited2018-06-06
  6. "Glad to be a part of this team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The best work environment I've ever been a part of - Opportunities to learn and grow - Fast paced and always changing

Cons

- Nothing apart from growing pains that come with every company that is trying to do better

Dream Unlimited2018-06-06
  7. "Construction Accountant"

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly people Great environment Learning opportunities

Cons

Tight deadlines Workload Need more opportunities for growth No work life balance

Advice to Management

Open conversation with employees Provide opportunities to growth Provide support to your team members when they need Provide support to team members Trust your team members Provide opportunities for growth

Dream Unlimited2018-06-20
  8. "A view from a Property Accountant :)"

Current Employee - Propert Accountant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, work Environment, great working colleagues, social events and community involvement.

Cons

Competitive wages, Management structures, no opportunity to learn, expand, and grow. One of biggest cons is limited flexibility on working from home and vacation. The trend is shifting to less time in the office and more time for wellness, travel and volunteering - we lack that due to middle to lower management decisions.

Advice to Management

More thoughtful decision making in promotions and more opportunity to all staff. Flexibility is key and less micromanagement. Middle to lower management given to responsible of decisions they aren't or comfortable making.

Dream Unlimited2018-06-20
  9. "Dream - work here and have fun!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Small company with access to people at all different levels and departments - makes you feel part of something and allows you the opportunity to be part of many different areas of the business. Creates a place to learn and develop, as well as have a voice. Courageous groups of people who will make the most educated decisions but are open to at least try anything once. Relaxed environment - come as you are and be... who you are. We welcome all people!

Cons

People have commented that benefits could improve by having a health spending account each year so they can use money towards things they need. Vacation - let's put some money where our mouths are and build better communities by giving our employees 4 weeks of vacation after 2 years of service.

Advice to Management

If Michael was more outgoing with all employees it would demonstrate that he actively exemplifies the culture we say we have. It is likely difficult and may not be something innate to his personality but even just walking through the office and making eye contact and saying "hey" would hopefully set an example for others. There are too many people in our company who keep eyes to the ground; some do not even... acknowledge receptionists when coming in the office. We need to learn to act truly and genuinely with one another. I understand people may be shy or timid, however, most just seem to have forgotten to be kindness and have manners. Maybe if MC starts the trend more people will follow.

Dream Unlimited2018-06-20
  10. "Overall great company to work for"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Dream Unlimited full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Good environment -Balanced workload -Good benefits -Great communication -Convenient location

Cons

- Company is VERY cheap when it comes to team building activities, functions, team lunches and Christmas parties. New employees do not even get a welcome lunch. There never seem to be no budget for the hard working people but executives are always splurging in lavish meals. This feels very biased and makes employees feel that they are not important and do not matter -Limited growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Spend some money in your staff, it will pay off Have a budget for team lunches and dedicate 1 day to a company activity/ function. A cheap BBQ downstairs off Lombard Street is not good enough when employees know that their appreciation function costs less than one-month worth of gourmet meals ordered for executive lunch meetings… It would be nice to make all Dream employees feel appreciated for just 1 day. They... also work hard and deserve a treat.

Found 89 reviews