E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.3
E. & J. Gallo Winery Co-President and CEO Joe Gallo
Joe Gallo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "In my department there is a strong emphasis of work life balance which is really important to me" (in 54 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people" (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be difficult" (in 58 reviews)

• "During harvest you will work long hours" (in 25 reviews)

1. "Building Representative"

Current Employee - Building Services Representative in Modesto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Building Services Representative in Modesto, CA (US)

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company culture and benefits.

Cons

No cons to share at this time.

11 Jun 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We're glad you are enjoying the company culture and benefits. We appreciate your positive feedback and all you do. Cheers!

2. "9 year employee"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Modesto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Modesto, CA (US)

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work work, they care about their employee's. Benefits are really amazing. They hire within first so there are plenty of opportunities to move up.

Cons

Most would say the challenges of living in the Central Valley.

Advice to Management

Consider opening a satellite office in the SF Bay area.

6 Jun 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review! We're so happy to have you in the the Gallo Family. Cheers!

3. "Lab Technician"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Great people, good company. Really good benefits

Cons

The area isn’t the nicest. Really busy during harvest

19 Jun 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We are happy to hear you are enjoying the culture and benefits at Gallo! Please continue to provide us feedback, we're listening. Cheers!

4. "Get Ready To Be A Labor Mule"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Salary, Excellent Health Benefits (which you will need since you break your back every day throwing these retailer's loads), 401K, Mileage Reimbursement, Cool Locations and Events for Monthly Meetings

Cons

Management portrays this position as "consultative sales". We are hardly "salesmen". This is what a typical day in the "Sales Representative's" life looks like:
    -Get up around 3:30 to get to your first retailer's store by 5 (so you can throw their load for them)
    -You then proceed to do these retailers' grunt work for them for the first 3 - 4 hours of your day.
    -The retailer's treat you like you owe them something: "Well Young's Market was here for 2 hours when I had a reset....you were only here for 45 minutes, then went to your next account. Why would I give that display to you??"
    -There are too many accounts that are asking too much of you to deliver in an 8 hour day.
    -Management blames sales reps for not having "time management skills" when really they know it's absolutely impossible to meet these retailer's ridiculous demands...I know that they know this because the turnover in this company is unreal (in 1 year, all but two people on my original team of 7 quit- why do you think that is? Because this job is terrible)
    -You crawl around in the backs of these stores in dust and dirt and grime (management literally encourages you not to wear really nice clothes because they WILL get destroyed)
    -You are talked down to and belittled by uneducated, ignorant liquor managers that have half the education that we do
    -Management criticizes EVERYTHING you do: "Yes, that's awesome you got that display...but let's try and get it in a better location"..."Wow, that's great that you made a breakthrough in your CVS, but they should have ordered MUCH more Barefoot than that!"..."That display is beautiful, next time double it." EVERYTHING is a backhanded compliment. Everything.
    -Management claims that if you follow their Gallo Sales Techniques (LSCOP, the RACC method of overcoming objections, etc.) then you should have no problem making sales! Yet my manager couldn't lock down a single sale when she filled in for me one week. Weird...what happened to the flaw-proof RACC method?
    -You work in the grossest stores (Walmart / Foodmaxx / CVS) and have to watch your belongings at all times or a customer will take them.
    -Management promises that they promote you within 9 - 15 months. That is an outright LIE. NO ONE has gotten promoted that quickly in the last year. Reps are sittin' in their positions for around 18 months or more on average.
    -You are treated simply as a number in their system, not as a person.
    -I am still having back problems to this day because of how many cases of wine I had to throw by myself.
    -This is by far the absolute worst job that I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Either promote people quicker or lower your expectations because people are dropping like flies. You can't criticize people's hard work over and over and over without them feeling like they don't even want to bother putting any work in. I am shocked that in a company that acts as progressive as Gallo does, management does not realize how impactful positive reinforcement can be. This has been the WORST job that I have ever had (and I switched to another sales company...so clearly it's not the sales environment that is the issue here).

19 Jun 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. While it is disheartening to hear that you didn’t enjoy your time as a Sales Representative, we do appreciate your feedback and will make sure that... More

5. "Best Place to Work :)"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Modesto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Modesto, CA (US)

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life Balance, Flexibility, Great onboarding process, friendly & fun culture, great training and development programs.

Cons

Small company has pros and cons

9 May 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all you do!

"E & J Gallo Winery"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA (US)

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to promote, move around and try new things within the winery. There are many facets of the business located in the central valley so the opportunities are abundant.

Cons

There is a new emphasis on degree requirements that make it difficult for experience qualified employees to transfer to different departments. Somebody who has practical experience for a job may not be eligible due to a Bachelor's degree with an unrelated concentration. At some point, tried and true years of experience should mean more than college credentials.

Advice to Management

Remember that most of what employees need to know to do the job is taught on the job. Proof of excellent performance should be a leading indicator of promotion and movement opportunities. Managers trying to promote employees should not have their hands tied due to credential requirements.

30 Apr 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your 10+ years of service with Gallo. We appreciate your feedback around educational requirements, but would love the opportunity to better... More

"Amazing staff and culture."

Former Employee - Wine Sales Representative in Rancho Bernardo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Wine Sales Representative in Rancho Bernardo, CA (US)

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of training, educational classes, paid-work lunches and activities, young coworkers and fun work culture. Everyone has a really positive attitude and is really supportive. Good pay, mileage reimbursement and good benefits!

Cons

Early start time. Must be in accounts no later than 6am. Account managers are typically unpleasant and can be hostile. I was kicked out of several accounts just after introducing myself and the company I worked for. It's a very competitive industry. The account managers try to take advantage of you by only giving display locations to reps who do their "dirty"' work.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees. Wine Reps and Merchandisers should not be unloading pallets and totes of inventory (aka "throwing load") in order to get permission to build out wine & spirit displays that are already preset by higher ups. Throwing load is against the law and shouldn't be tolerated.

1 May 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear that you found your training, coworkers, and Gallo’s culture, to be positives. With regards to your “Advice to Management,” we... More

8. "Awesome company!"

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Felt like family and you were appreciated for your contributions

Cons

Lack of diversity amongst employees

30 Apr 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We’re glad you felt like part of the family during your time at Gallo! We are proud of the cultural diversity amongst our employees, and we’re committed to providing all... More

9. "Good company, but some management a little old fashioned"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in London, England (UK)

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ annual family event
    + you do get some freebies!!

Cons

- not very forward thinking at times

11 May 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

We appreciate both your review and your feedback and we wish you the very best in your future career endeavors. Cheers!

10. "Great company for passionate committed people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA (US)

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gallo is an amazing Company, with great people and terrific values. It is fast paced, relationship driven in a fun industry. It attracts super smart and talent people. I have worked here more than 10 years and been given a number of great opportunities to grow and develop.

Cons

Because Gallo is so fast paced and highly collaborative it may not be the place for you if you like to be the star of the show. We work as a team here.

Advice to Management

Continue to be true to the Corporate values and keeping the focus on employees.

26 Apr 2018 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your 10+ years of service! It's great employees like you, that make Gallo a great place to work. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Cheers!