E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews

Updated 7 Jul 2020

4.4
E. & J. Gallo Winery Co-President and CEO Joe Gallo
Joe Gallo
  1. "Family Owned Feels Like Home"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Leadership is goals-focused and supports their organization. Housing prices nearby are more reasonable than the local Bay Area counties.

Cons

Upward mobility is rare. If you don’t have an influential champion as a direct manager, many have to move out of the company to move up in role or responsibility.

April 15, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your feedback! We want to address your comments around upward mobility. The career advancement of our employees is important to us and we seek to fill open roles with internal talent whenever possible. Please reach out to your Manager and/or HR Manager to discuss your feedback in greater detail. Thanks for all you do!

2. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery part-time for less than a year

Pros

Everything was good in my experience

Cons

I dont think there were any cons

April 29, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your feedback. Cheers!

3. "Quality of work life dependent on manager and team"

Former Employee - N/A in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some great teams with excellent managers and free fruit/coffee.

Cons

A bad manager and corporate politics can ruin the Gallo experience.

April 24, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your feedback and best of luck to you!

4. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Utility Clerk in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sometimes free and discounted wine!

Cons

Some employees are crap and never get fired for being crap.

April 24, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We will be passing your review along to Sr. Leadership and want to thank you for all you do for Gallo. Cheers!

5. "Years with Gallo"

Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits, especially compared to the competitors. If you want to get into the industry, Gallo is a great place to start. The company culture is better than most and job security is above average as well. As a merchandiser, you work with the sales representatives most often and the majority of them are nice, hardworking people...

Cons

... but a good amount of them are not. A lot of them will try to take advantage of you and will give you most (if not all) of the hard work, while they claim credit. Expect to be thrown under the bus if anything goes wrong too. The hiring quality of sales reps varies dramatically and management is slow to correct the behavior. As a merchandiser, you are expected to sell, even though there are essentially no kind of incentives at all. Management might throw you a bone every now and then, but that's about it. Promotions are more based on if they like you, rather than merit. If they don't like you, expect to be given loads of more work (on top of your regular duties), micromanaged and nit picked until you either get out of the doghouse or resign. Depending on the territory, you might be forced to lead a reset team 5 days a week, week after week, for up to a third of the calendar year. It is a truly tedious, thankless and unenviable project with no kind of bonus by the end. If you're lucky, you might have to do only a dozen or so resets throughout the year.

April 7, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your detailed feedback. We will be sharing your review with our Gallo Sales leadership team. Best of luck to you.

6. "Solid Role"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than a year

Pros

- good training - culture of success - good recognition

Cons

- few roles available - longer hours than expected - no creative freedom

April 1, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We will be sure to pass it along to our Sales Leadership team. Best of luck!

7. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to move positions within company. Never stuck in the same position for too long. The management I had keeps a close eye on your skills development and future plans. Also cares about workload and prioritizing to help with project management.

Cons

The workload can be overwhelming at times with no real solution but to just power through it.

March 25, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We will be sharing your review with our Finance and HR leaders, as creating workload and work-life balance, is a priority for us. Thanks for all you do!

8. "Talent Acquisition is a mess"

2.0

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Gallo overall is a good company. The discount on wine is a nice plus. Living in Modesto, it’s a good place to work, but really the only game in town.

Cons

Do not work in Talent Acquisition. It’s led by a team of inept managers that have no business managing people. The managers lead by fear and morale is terrible. No growth or development in recruiting. They will hire externally over internal consistently. If you want to be constantly overworked and stressed, join Gallo. You won’t recruit here, you are moving people through a system that is geared towards finding your mistakes, everything is time stamped, and managers micromanage, especially when you make a mistake. If you are looking to be a recruiter, don’t waste your time and energy. You’ll only be frustrated and stressed.

March 26, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your feedback. We are concerned by your review and will be launching efforts to better understand Talent Acquisition’s team dynamics and morale. It is very important that our team feels appreciated and valued, and I encourage you to actively participate in sharing your feedback during these upcoming sessions. If you would prefer, you can also reach out to me directly. Best Regards, Susan Hensley Vice President, Human Resources

"Great company with a lot of opportunity"

Current Employee - Site Compliance in Saint Helena, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, and wonderful coworkers. For being a large company, it has a better culture than most.

Cons

Very demanding work schedule/commitment during the harvest season and any important phases with the company like acquisitions. Lots of shifting around/re-organizing employees which requires a great deal of adaptability, flexibility and willingness to work 60+ hours/week on salary position. Lots of meetings that eat into work time. If company doesn't meet sales/profit margin goals, there is a huge amount of pressure placed on operations. Many employees leaving the company and rather than back-fill the position, the work is divided up added to everyone else's workload, adding pressure, stress, longer work days (causing even more people to leave).

March 16, 2020Human Resources Leadership

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. If you are open to an in-person conversation, I welcome the opportunity to discuss your review in further detail. The happiness of our employees is of the upmost importance to us, so I hope you consider reaching out. Thanks, Lynn DeDios Sr. Director, Human Resources

10. "Systems Administrator"

5.0
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule with ability to cross train

Cons

No able to work part time

February 20, 2020Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Best of luck to you!

Found 854 reviews