E. & J. Gallo Winery Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated 9 Jun 2020

4.3
E. & J. Gallo Winery Co-President and CEO Joe Gallo
Joe Gallo
Cons

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews

"Sales Rep Job is NOT as glorified as they make it seem. False job description. Horrible working conditions."

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free wine and spirits in meetings

Cons

Not what they hype themselves up to be. High turnover. Most people don’t last more than a year because they work you like a dog and it’s not even fun. Very use & abuse environment. You will work in grocery stores stocking shelves and building wine displays, so boring & does not give you real job experiences to launch you in different career paths. Unsanitary, unsafe working conditions in back rooms for grocery stores, not equipped well enough to be “grocery store employee” you have to break rules to be a top performer and break your back working long hours and sometimes weekends. NO WORK LIFE BALANCE. You get burnt out fast. You have to hoard work boxes home and have to house it yourself. They make you take tons of wine display pieces home weekly and stuff your cars with it and do not provide additional Storage. They do not care if you get harassed in stores or injured. Only want to continue business relationship with stores to meet goals. Very “clique” type of environment with favoritism of employees. Management is full of friends and do not keep anything confidential. Managers are apart of weekend partying with younger employees and do not act professional at all. Very repetitive type job each month and goals are very hard to achieve/unrealistic. Upper management is HORRIBLE. They can never correctly answer questions you may have and the follow up is nonexistent. Do not recommend working here, low pay for the requirements they have.

June 14, 2020Human Resources Leadership

The conduct you have described does not align with our corporate values and is concerning. We do not condone any kind of inappropriate behavior within Gallo. If you would like to confidentially discuss your comments, please contact our third-party, confidential ethics hotline at 855-331-1488 or via ejgallo.ethicspoint.com.

2. "Amazing company"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Modesto, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery for less than a year

Pros

Great team building, good pay, awesome people

Cons

long hours, challenging, alot of drive time

3. "Good experience and trainings"

Current Intern - Internship

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery for less than a year

Pros

Bonus, trainings, lunch expensed, intern activities

Cons

long hours, drive personal vehicle for job duties

4. "Fantastic company with great support"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, extremely supportive team, fantastic training program

Cons

A lot of traveling, long hours

May 17, 2019Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your review and for all you do!

"Advice to Those Looking to Join"

Former Employee - Chain Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Recruitment team/process is phenomenal and the sales training program is second to none -Job security/recession-proof industry -Great team atmosphere amongst fellow reps -Competitive Pay/Benefits -Chance at moving up in the distributor/company -Discounted wine and often times free wine to take home

Cons

-I worked in one of the most difficult territories in the nation so I cannot speak for everyone. I will say if you’re placed in a premium market expect micro management, lots of pressure and very long hours. If you’re willing to put in time and be patient with management’s demands, you will be fine, but burned out quick. -While the potential for promotion is amazing, often times, district managers and even a few higher up managers lack leadership skills and it shows through unnecessary intimidation over very minute things. Positive reinforcement from managers to reps could be better. -No bonuses/commissions- just a few trips and random dinners and theme park trips for top reps. Definitely an area of improvement to increase morale. Even if you do work hard and sell, there’s a good chance you won’t see any reward. -Turnover is gigantic in this organization- the job is difficult with early mornings and manual labor. -Work/Life balance is poor. Vacation time is blacked out all of Oct, Nov and Dec. If you don’t have family close by, it’s difficult during the holidays. There were several times I worked 18+ hours a day having to prepare for visits from very demanding senior managers; That all depends on your territory. -Know your worth- if you aren’t happy in this role, bounce. Many many other companies across all industries would welcome you with open arms having Gallo on your resume.

August 24, 2018Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please know we will be sharing this review with our sales leadership in an effort to make improvements moving forward. To address a few of your concerns, while sales reps who work within premium territories do naturally have a higher level of visibility from all levels of leadership, we make a concerted effort to not have reps in these territories for long periods of time. We also encourage employees to use their PTO throughout the year. That being said, October, November, and December are the busiest months for sales in the wine industry which means it’s a team effort to meet the needs of the business during the season. We of course work with employees who may need to take periodic PTO during these months. Again we greatly appreciate your feedback and wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Best Regards, Susan Hensley Vice President, Human Resources

6. "An Amazing Family Owned Company that cares"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Gallo provides great benefits, provides a very relaxed work environment where you feel like a family, and provides a true sense of job security. A clear path for advancement and development is available for everyone, and the company believes in its products and people, and it shows.

Cons

Hard work with long hours. Work/Life balance is constantly be worked towards, but is unbalanced at the moment.

December 11, 2017Human Resources Leadership

First and foremost, thank you for your 10+ years of service! With regards to PTO, we encourage you to take personal time as you are able. We also continue to look for ways to create a more collaborative work environment and welcome further feedback on how we can better facilitate this within your team. With regards to you silos, we would like to better understand your feedback. We encourage you to discuss your concerns with your HR Manager, or if you would prefer, via feedback@ejgallo.com. Thanks again and we are so glad that you are a part of the Gallo family!

7. "Sales Representative"

2.0

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Team happy hours and incentives

Cons

Very early and long hours, a lot of wear and tear on your car, unrealistic quota for certain brands depending what area you are put in, only put girls in the high performing territories.

November 22, 2017Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your experience and would like to further understand your comments. Please contact us feedback@ejgallo.com to continue the discussion.

8. "Winery Project Engineer"

4.0
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery

Pros

Great atmosphere with lots of helpful people

Cons

During harvest you will work long hours

9. "Seasonal position point of view"

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Good wages Good benefits Good training program and advancement for full time employees

Cons

Long hours but to some this is a pro Standing 8-12hrs a day Impacted list to transition to full time

September 22, 2017Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to leave such a detailed review on your experience as a Seasonal employee. We really appreciate it. Cheers!

10. "Coordinator"

4.0

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Great people and lots of opportunity for growth!

Cons

Demanding work and long hours.

May 22, 2017Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It is much appreciated! Cheers!

Found 30 reviews