Edmonton Public Schools Reviews

Edmonton Public Schools Superintendent Darrel Robertson
Darrel Robertson
  1. "Teacher"

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools full-time

Pros

Supportive staff, great PD opportunities, and good benefits

Cons

Constant working, increase in class sizes, and not enough support for teachers' wellness.

2. "Good once you're in"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the biggest districts in the Public School system in Canada, and the best paying district in Alberta. Once you get a continuous contract it has lots of schools and positions to move within the district. Most teachers/staff/admin seem to genuinely care about the students.

Cons

It takes at least 3-6 months to be approved to work in the district, even though we are on a shortage. HR is either extremely inefficient, overworked or lacking people. Large class sizes are an issue district-wide. If you don't have a continuous contract you are not allowed to apply for jobs, you just take your chances in the district. Expectations for teachers are high, and there isn't enough time in the day to do it all.

3. "Fantastic work culture"

Current Employee - Procurement Agent in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a strong emphasis on work life balance. I find the work culture fun and easy going but people work hard knowing the end product is the education of children. Respectful working environment.

Cons

Some middle management can be a little hand off.

4. "Great place"

Current Employee - Teacher in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent environment to work with students and a peaceful place

Cons

no social mobility for minority workers

5. "Teacher"

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great on the job training and professional development

Cons

Large company, can get lost in it sometimes

6. "Great School Board if you know someone"

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools

Pros

Great salary, time off. lots of opportunities if you can work your way up.

Cons

Very political. WAY to easier to find a job if you network a lot and know people. There is a huge lack of jobs due to old teachers never retiring and taking all of the sub jobs to fund their winter trips to phoenix (which causes a sub shortage often...)

7. "Ok"

I worked at Edmonton Public Schools full-time

Pros

Nice work environment, love the work I do. Opportunities to collaborate and work with other professionals in different areas. Friendly faces and love the children.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to move up. Not a lot of options of where you would like to go. There could have been more opportunities for educational advancement and help through grants, etc. from the company.

Continue reading
  8. "Respected and in Demand"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Once getting hired on as a substitute teacher, I have been working every single day possible. There is enough work that I never have to accept a job opening more than 15 minutes from my home. Nearly every single school I have been to has been very supportive and I find the staff remarkable to work alongside. I also love that as a substitute, you get to leave without making a plan (unlike my previous district in N.B.) It makes for a great work-life balance.

Cons

The hiring process did take a while to finalize. From applying to hired (and working) it was about 5 months. I am unsure if they only hire at certain times of the year though, which may be why it was a delayed process.

9. "Elementary Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I like working for this board as they wer the first one to offer me a permanent contract. We have paid benefits, excellent contracts, and it is very easy to relocate to newer schools

Cons

There is no wellness spending account and the additional workload required by teachers is not compensated. Early Thursdays eat up teaching time, whereas other boards have one staff meeting per month instead of weekly.

10. "Teacher"

I have been working at Edmonton Public Schools

Pros

IT's a good place to work and your are valued

Cons

Teaching is a tough job and work/life balance is needed.

Found 60 reviews