Ellie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.4
Ellie Mae President and CEO Jonathan H. Corr
Jonathan H. Corr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Leader in the industry, great people, execs that live the values they espouse, free ice-cream, fun & supportive work environment" (in 23 reviews)

• "The work life balance is amazing" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is a challenge but it is achievable if you learn to manage your time in an effective way" (in 13 reviews)

• "Though we are growing rapidly there are still a few growing pains we're working through" (in 24 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office culture and leadership team is top notch.

Cons

Can't think if one reason that would make me consider leaving the company.

2. "The Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work from home
    I make a great salary considering I am in North Carolina
    I have a calm, intelligent and caring manager
    I get to work with great people that I enjoy being around
    I am included in all their marketing materials and charitable campaigns even though I work from home

Cons

Frenetic pace, a few spastic leaders, frequent stops and starts, communication gaps between groups. I sometimes feel like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Advice to Management

Old processes are straining now that the company is >1500 people:
    Streamline JIRA usage so that all development groups can row together (including UX teams)

3. "Great company with some issues...."

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ellie Mae has excellent benefits, provides employees (at least me) with a decent level of autonomy and provides excellent support. It also has a great mission statement -- one that is meant to improve the experience of not just those selling mortgages, but those buying them as well. I think we have been a big influencer in the mortgage business, helping to push the paperless ideal and increase efficiencies.

Cons

The growth has been terribly rapid and some knowledge is getting lost with turnover. Also, the company has never been good about telling use who has left and who has replaced them and that can be both disconcerting and disruptive.

Advice to Management

Communicate about people leaving as much as you do about people coming on board. Learn more about the nuts and bolts of your departments. Temper your enthusiasm for new products with more Q&A and stop rushing things to market or over promising what can be delivered.

4. "Working at Ellie Mae for my entire career"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been lucky! Ellie Mae acquired Genesis 18 years ago and I landed at Ellie Mae through that acquisition. I have been so blessed for 18 years! EM really empowered me in my sales career with all kinds of tools and support over the years. Sig's vision and later Jonathan's vision has stayed focused on our success and I have been a believer of our flagship product and very proud of presenting this great solution. Thank you EM for letting me thrive in my career. This company has taken really good care of me and I am very grateful for that.

Cons

Staying in one company for 18 years is very rare and almost non-existent out there and some may think moving and working for other companies would have been better, I don't. I take pride in our solution suite and when you sell the best product for so many years you can't just go sell inferior products!!

Advice to Management

Management can see the market conditions more clearly and bring the headwinds into account at the start of the year when calculating quotas before it is too late.

"Disorganized and Directionless Customer Support Team"

Former Employee - Product Support Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Support Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The software is archaic, but still interesting to learn. The office has perks like gym and happy hour. There is free ice cream and popcorn.

Cons

Your performance does not matter. You can close 500 cases a month or 50, neither gets noticed as long as customers are happy.

You will not be given the same privileges as tenured employees. Policies can change at any time, and there are no exceptions to the current policy.

You will be told that your opinion is being heard, and that there are plenty of ways to prove yourself and move up. You will see senior level roles that you apply to being filled by less qualified people.

If you're lucky, you will cycle through less than 3 managers a year, and team meetings will be focus on how to do your job, not what was for dinner last night. If the latter is true, this could be because your manager does not know how to troubleshoot the product. Why would the support team have a manager that does not know how to troubleshoot the product after three years? Good question.

As another reviewer put it, this is a company is chalk full of "B" talent and it's evident in every corner.

Advice to Management

Layout a growth plan that support organizations are meant to have. Create a true multi-tiered support that allows employees to prove their abilities and "test" into roles of increasing responsibility.

6. "My Forever Company"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most will find at ELLI: very strong & decisive leadership; a collaborative spirit (up & down the org); FUN; and balance.

Cons

Trying to determine if I want to snack on fresh popcorn or unlimited ice cream!

Advice to Management

Keep accountability and decisiveness up; remember to manage by walking around--like our Co-Founder/Executive Chairman, Sig Anderman, perfected. Keep your eyes on the North Star!

6 Sep 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback and I wholeheartedly agree about keeping a culture of accountability!

"Don't Get Sucked In"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

Good Pay, Good Benefits and Perks. Loves their community. Fun parties. At first you're thinking "I love this place" "My forever company".

Cons

No work life balance. Lack of transparency. Only certain groups get to enjoy the company events. They say they want to develop people but they don't give you the time nor the support. If you are not what they want or need in the moment of rapid growth, they discard you like a wet paper towel. Rudeness and deceit run rampant in Senior Leadership.

Advice to Management

You are working so hard to become a billion dollar company and are leaving committed people in the dust. If you say you care about people and want to develop them, then do it. but don't claim it if your real intention is to line the pockets of top leadership.

8. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Financially Stable Market Leader in their Industry. Fast Growing. Opportunity for Advancement.

Cons

Fast Growth issues surrounding business process and priorities.

Advice to Management

Leverage more "outside-the-company/industry" experts to facilitate innovation.

9. "VP, Enterprise Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - Vice President, Enterprise Relationship Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A company with great vision, hires very smart people, and cares about their customer's success.

Cons

Due to Ellie Mae's size, I think the mid-manager skill level is weak as we have grown and the company could do more to coach-the-coachers in the company. I'm fortunate to have a great manager, but throughout the company, this is an area which I think is weak.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The more informed we are of the EM strategy and plans, the easier it is to keep our customers focus on their success with our partnership.

6 Sep 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. A major initiative we working on now is Manager Effectiveness and to this end, we have created a Manager Effectiveness Council to advise and provide feedback on what we... More

10. "Good tech company in TriValley area"

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks. Reasonable compensation. Accessible management. Civic minded.

Cons

Lack of development for middle management. This level continues to think tactically.

Advice to Management

Prioritize more effectively. Focus on accountability; too many deadlines missed and too many quality issues.

6 Sep 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

Appreciate your feedback! We have recently created a Manager Effectiveness Council to advise and engage in strategies to become stronger in this area, inclusive of accountability. Stay tuned for... More