Ellie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.5
Ellie Mae President and CEO Jonathan H. Corr
Jonathan H. Corr

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • All of the managers that I've had here have always cared about work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Free ice cream, free coffee and free water (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a challenge but it is achievable if you learn to manage your time in an effective way (in 10 reviews)

• As with any fast growing company they have had some growing pains (in 10 reviews)

"Company with a Big Heart"

Current Employee - Applications Trainer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Trainer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There a strong sense of community in this company. The senior management makes a point of being engaged with all employees; Ellie Mae makes giving back to the community part of being an employee; everyone is helpful to new comers.
    My direct management has been very supportive of my ramping up work and with training to become knowledgeable in the industry and become a better trainer.
    Ellie Mae is, by far, the most diverse technology company that I have worked with (and I've worked with a few). And diverse at all levels.
    Ellie Mae is the market leader and has devised a "shared success" strategy for its customers. When Ellie Mae customers make more money, Ellie Mae makes more money. So customers are very satisfied with Ellie Mae.

Cons

Ellie Mae is growing fast (which is good). But with that growth in size, old processes that worked with a company of 500 are being strained with a company of 1500.

Advice to Management

We are growing fast. Make sure we've got the internal processes and infrastructure to handle all our new employees smoothly.

2. "The little company that could. Small with big prospects, the clearest mission — the best place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-A welcoming, country home-spun culture for folks willing to roll up their sleeves and get things done
    -Benefits improving steadily, e.g. recent rollouts of 401k match, HSA match
    -Approachable company leaders

Cons

Typical growing pains. When you grow from <1000 to 1500 employees in a year, there’s bound to be shakeups and adjustments

Advice to Management

No time to be adversarial — business comes first!

3. "Growing company with a great culture"

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The heart of the company.

Cons

Rapid growing leading to growing pains.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee recommendations and respond in a timely manner.

5. "Software Engineer 2"

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, work life balance.

Cons

Low salaries, still using old technology

Advice to Management

Please revise your packages, they are way lower than current market standards.

"You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays above norm - Kind of have to if you are desperate to keep talent.

Generally good benefits because of the aforementioned reason.

If you can take the lack of respect and promotions, can condone nepotism and favoritism, and are determined to waste time the service engineering org would be a great fit!

Cons

Where to begin.... There is a lot of turnover in their key service engineering teams.

Engineering management likes to favor one team heavily.

This lack of acknowledgement has lost the org key members responsible for keeping the culture non toxic.

People doing the most work and keeping Ellie Mae's core money making products afloat are overlooked criminally regardless of engineering talent or acumen.

The entire next generation of products hinges on execution by the "Chosen" team.

If that team looks bad the engineering stakeholders look bad. Hence all promotions must belong to the "Chosen" team. They must look good!

Blame will always be shifted towards "Previous Regime" and how its not the "Current Regimes" fault. Yep keep telling yourselves that in fact heres a bucket of sand ....

The "Chosen" team to this date has not delivered anything on time or worth talking about. Everything is discussed to death and a timeline lasting many months is presented and lapped up with fan fare.

Then with some mad luck involved a one page WIKI article is written extolling the virtues of the "Chosen" teams vision, and that's that....good luck everybody!!!

Sadly there are other teams that would do this work with their eyes closed and one hand tied behind their back while having grown yetis jumping on them....in less than half the time....but since they aren't "Chosen"....welp...

There is 0 engineering acumen in anyone except perhaps the highest echelon of the engineering org, there is experience however it is not tempered with realistic expectations.

No one gives a damn about anyones work life balance you must execute as the fuhrer ordered!

Advice to Management

You have let a bad situation fester beyond control.

Open your eyes stop simply talking about your core values and try to apply them.

The entire service engineering management chain apart from the SVP and certain key individuals is dumber than a box of door knobs, they have 0 idea how to run production and honestly wouldn't know what to do with advice if it hit them head on.

HR : Look at the basis for promotions and get rid of favoritism. Look at execution ability, actual work done and the type of work done and the result of that work.

Sadly I like Ellie Mae's core values and its vision..however you must weed out favoritism, nepotism and lack of work life balance, that is what will hold you back in the end.

Its very possible this review will become the victim of HR speak such as disgruntled employee or not aligning with vision.

Every word written in this review is true to its fullest extent. 0 sugar coating 0 lies.

"If you enjoy life, don't work here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was on par with rest of the industry

Great culture and values.

Former CEO/founder is a great person and easy to approach.

Cons

No work/life balance. This place is all work and no life, especially if you're in the Service Ops team. This is the team that is responsible for all incidents and let me tell you something, you will get called. When I say incidents, we're NOT just talking about Production. I was called for PRI 1 Dev, QA and other lower environments including Corp IT!

After an entire day of on-call, it was back to the coal mine later the same evening for releases and deployments. These "maintenance windows" occur 3 times a week every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I literally spent months working under these conditions before wising up.

They will run you ragged with the sheer amount of work. To top it off, after suffering through this, I received no promotion, just a measly cost-of-living pay increase, a few pats on the back and a swift kick in the pants to work harder next review period.

I spent entire days working on incidents for various clients trying to fix their systems, up to 6 conference calls per day back to back with no breaks for lunch. Site Reliability is a joke when your Dev team doesn't give a damn about it! It's always the same excuse too, we're busy working on the next big thing and don't bother us with petty issues about the core product and systems. Well, guess what!? The core product makes you more money than King Solomon's mines.

Advice to Management

This company needs to get their priorities straight. The core product is your bread and butter, but you treat it and the people working on it as nobodies. All the promotions and pay increases go to the NG teams. This is not sustainable, but good luck trying to "make it work" when your core product support engineers outnumber your Service Ops 10 to 1. But hey, what do I know, I'm just the dumb schlub working in the coal mine.

8. "The best place to be!"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate culture is amazing - interested in what is best for the employee and the customer and creating a environment of growth.

Cons

Sometimes there are gaps in communication between products.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The benefit improvements this past year are to be applauded! The priority on how to help employees grow is amazing. Ellie Mae is the best place to be!

9. "Fast paced and innovative environment"

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It offers challenging environment for driven individuals to excel

Cons

Very aggressive timeline can put a lot of pressure on certain individuals

Advice to Management

Keep compensating the employees well for all the hard work

10. "An Amazing Company That Cares About Employees"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Field, NM (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Field, NM (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very careful to hire people that will fit the corporate culture of doing the right thing, honesty, tolerance, and giving back to the community. Everyone works as a team and a wonderful supportive environment. You can feel this from the top to bottom in the organization.

Cons

Very fast paced organization which can cause stress when trying to meet some deadlines. When you are new, sometimes you can feel a little lost - although everyone is more than happy to help if you ask.

11. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is the best I've had an opportunity to work in. Values are more than talking points & the leaders strive to keep the great culture.

Perks are solid & include free ice cream, popcorn, fruit days, ping pong & more. There are a lot of celebrations and good work is recognized.

Cons

You may gain some weight working here... but luckily you get access to an on-site gym which could help.

Advice to Management

Growing Pains... The company has grown so fast that there are a few flat spots that need to be addressed.

- Many of the Managers / Leaders promoted from within don't have the experience or skills to be highly effective in their role