Emergent BioSolutions Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 24 Aug 2020

3.5
Emergent BioSolutions President and CEO Bob Kramer
Bob Kramer
Pros
  • "Good benefits and leadership training(in 22 reviews)

• "The pay and benefits are pretty good overall, although you work for them(in 12 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time

Pros

I have been at Emergent for 1.5 years. - A very positive work culture unlike any other place I have worked in 30 years. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Great team work and cross functional teams always improving. - A culture that values, promotes and acts on innovative and change. Fast-paced and continuous improvement culture. So if you don’t adapt to tight timelines and change, then this may be a challenge for you. - Great benefits and employee appreciation initiatives. - Leadership listens too their employees and follow up as required. During COVID, my colleagues across three Departments have recently shared that they feel very cared for as staff and that there is nothing more Management could do to improve that. Excellent response, action and communication by Management to care for and inform staff. Additional supports and benefits provided. Lots of flexibility provided for home/work life balance - especially during COVID. - Diversity is highly valued within Emergent and in response to “Black Lives Matter”, significant discussions and initiatives have taken place to create change and awareness. Members of Management Team shared their experiences which showed they were leading by example. - Excellent and thorough on boarding for new staff and new app being launched to support that. At the end of the day, it’s the people at Emergent that makes it a such a great place to work. This is a shared sentiment by my colleagues.

Cons

- Vacation time for new employees is low for Canadian companies. But Care/Compassion Days are provided which can be used to add to vacation. - Salaries vary for same position/job description due to multiple geographic locations of Emergent Sites.

"Good Place With the Right Boss"

Current Employee - Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The mission is exciting and motivating. What we make is important, and the work can be rewarding as a result when the bureaucracy doesn't get in the way. The pay and benefits are pretty good overall, although you work for them. If you have the right boss, the work atmosphere is positive, but for those with a poor leader it can be quite hard. The amount of change as of late can be a bit confusing, but seems to be on the road to a better place.

Cons

Work life balance can be a bit of a challenge. The office politics can be a bit much, and there seems to be a bit of a big brother vibe lately - keep your head down and just do the job and don't stick your neck out.

Continue reading

3. "Improvements made but can be better"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay and good benefits

Cons

Lack of consistency Constant fire fighting Poor work-life balance Lack of appreciation

"Great mission & people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Management in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is excellent, you won't find better in this area. Benefits are decent, always room for improvement (who doesn't want more PTO?). The mission of the organization is worthy which makes coming to work easier. A lot of flexibility and work/life balance offered. Company truly cares about it's employees and makes decisions in their best interest. Lansing site has come a long way in the past few years in regards to culture, much more positive.

Cons

Health insurance is expensive (but it is everywhere). Limited advancement opportunities in Lansing.

Emergent BioSolutions Response

February 7, 2020Emergent Senior leadership team

Thank you for this constructive feedback and we are always glad to see the positive comments. We try to promote internal movement as one of the ways to challenge and develop employees. As we continue to grow, we anticipate even more interesting opportunities for our employees.

"Decent company"

Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent culture, leadership, work life balance

Cons

There is nothing to complaint about

"Great work environment!"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

-excellent compensation and benefits -nice work/life balance -great mission -everyone seems to be an expert in their field -great relationship with federal government in bringing issues to focus

Cons

-processes can be somewhat onerous and time consuming -company can get bogged down in M&A, dipping into the same market too much

7. "Manufacturing associate"

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits, friendly coworkers

Cons

Culture and work life balance

"Underpaid and Unappreciated"

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time

Pros

The people who work there make the job fun. It's fast-paced, so there is always something to do.

Cons

There is no official training program. Emergent does NOT pay competitive salaries, especially for the DMV area. I get the impression that we are very replaceable by the company, and don't feel like valued employees. Oftentimes management doesn't have a clear plan, so we end up scrambling to make up the goals set by management. Most employees are salaried, but overtime is expected of you. There is not a good work/life balance. FYI, The company does not recognize contract and temporary employees for any giveaways or company functions, so don't hope/expect to be included.

"Terrible"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Lansing, MI

I worked at Emergent BioSolutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Long hours with the same people make sure that you make good friends. They did have good volunteer programs.

Cons

Was told I would be a temp for 90 days. Temp for almost a year and half. As a temp you cannot use the gym, go to parties, plus many other things. Management plays severe favorites. You work holidays. Hr doesn't care about people, only about going home. Morale is VERY low. Claim to want to fix morale, yet nothing changes. Cleaning staff were very creepy and walked in the locker rooms without knocking. Insurance wasn't amazing. Better pay at other pharma companies. VERY hard to move up, and they do not care about you unless you are friends with management. You will never meet people from other departments, including high ups. After I left they laid off a lot of good people (glad I got out). Long hours (12 hour shifts) Not good work/life balance.

"Okay to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Emergent BioSolutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great. There are a lot of smart and hardworking people. The annual bonus is nice. They also offer 401K and stock purchasing options.

Cons

The culture of accountability has come along way, but is not consistent throughout the company or departments. Work-life balance still needs work. Career opportunities seem to only be available to people working in certain departments.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 English Reviews