AECOM - I wonder if the CEO is overpaid? | Glassdoor.com.au
There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

"I wonder if the CEO is overpaid?"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Project Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a job with benefits

Cons

Another year another 1% raise because "our senior people are overpaid"

Advice to Management

Quit, take your stock options and get lost

Other Employee Reviews for AECOM

"clients are upset and looking to other enginering firms.alot of our expertise has left"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

it is a job and fellow employees are good people , the few that are left

Cons

The company is completely disfunctional. Engineers are expected to do the Accountants' jobs. What the accountants actually do makes no sense, and only makes your life more difficult. It takes a month to get the 6 approvals necessary to install new software on your computer. Internal competition is rampant. Offices directly compete with each other over work. The idea of "working on a team" is non-existent.

Opportunity for advancement is minimal. As a technical person you become "the guy" of something, but have no opportunity to ever do anything else, which is not exactly what a 25 year old engineer is looking to do.

The other option is to become a Project Manager which is a High Risk/Low Reward position. Basically, the only way I've seen the company win projects is to vastly under-price the work. It then becomes the PM's job to pick up the pieces. And when the project inevitably loses money, it's the PM's fault. If by some miracle you do manage to finish a project on schedule and budget, there is no reward. I really don't understand how this company can be making money.

Basically, working here is like waiting in line to die. I'm still alive, but what's the point. I look at people who have been working here for a long time and either feel sorry for them, or want to throw up. Time to move on.

Advice to Management

This business model is broken, and I don't think there's any way to fix it. When business is down, it is still best to treat employees with respect. We (the employees) all want the best for our clients AND each other.

2. "Solid company"

Pros

AECOM is a strong engineering company with multiple branches in government contracting.

Cons

Even though it's a good company, it may be difficult in certain contracts to move up.