1. "Nearly a good job"

2.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Appen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team members, often interesting projects, exciting and expanding field of work. So much potential. I'd really like to LOVE this job.

Cons

Low pay compared to other jobs in the same industry- HR don't take this concern seriously. You can easily do a google search and find similar jobs that pay much more. Unfortunately Appen is in the habit of expecting that people accept jobs here because they are fascinated by the work and don't care about the pay. As we corporatize further, this is less realistic and the company is letting it's employees down by not considering how they can make jobs here attractive. Systems issues are often blamed on employees- the new crowd management system is riddled with bugs and errors, and yet when invoicing goes wrong, or a project system shorts out, or the email function breaks, it's the PMs and team members who are blamed, both by internal teams and the crowd. I've received threats and abuse over things that I couldn't control. Sometimes Appen Connect just breaks. We all feel strongly that we want to do the best by our crowd, but it's hard with tools that are not yet fit for purpose. Internal corporate teams (Recruitment, HR and Finance) are often very difficult to work with. Everything turns in to blame games, walking on egg shells, person to person problems, and as soon as you ask internal corporate teams to do their jobs, you're suddenly the bad guy. It's very tiring for project teams to be stuck in the middle of this. Burnout is common, people are afraid of expressing concern, we lose team members to other companies that we've spent so much time training, people work long hours thinking that bad work/life balance is normal.

Continue reading

Appen Response

November 18, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I'm sorry you did not have an ideal experience at Appen but I do want to let you know that I've personally passed this along to our senior management team.

"Balanced"

5.0
    Current Contractor - Independent Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Appen for less than a year

Pros

Diverse, fun, collaborative, flexible, and no micro-management

Cons

There are no true cons at this time.

"Great for Short- term work"

4.0
    Former Contractor - As Evaluator in Chase City, VA

I worked at Appen for less than a year

Pros

Work from home, flexible, decent pay

Cons

Long testing process, short-term work

Discover more reviews about Appen.