"Believe the Negative Reviews"

1.0
    Former Freelancer - Editor

I worked at Cactus Communications for less than a year

Pros

Work at home Adequate work volume

Cons

Poor communication Some ridiculous turn times Arbitrary QI No guidance as to process And the pay is obscene; be prepared to get terrible manuscript and supporting docs in need of a major overhaul but not paid for the total word count, only a percentage.

Continue reading
  1. "Perfect for me"

5.0
    Current Freelancer - Manuscript Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Cactus Communications for more than 3 years

Pros

This is my second freelance contract with Cactus. The work-life balance is still excellent and there is plenty of work available. The systems and processes are greatly improved. The new dedicated domain emails and software (Microsoft Office, Outlook, Teams) provided are much more professional and cohesive than my previous stint with Cactus.

Cons

The pay is still somewhat low for certain assignments. Also, there is some inconsistency from the internal quality reviewers. However, this has gradually improved, which I hope will continue.

Cactus Communications Response

July 30, 2020Associate, Freelancer Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you’re back here for your second freelancing stint 😊 We now have a team in place that works towards ensuring that the overall experience that editors have with us is great. Thank you for noticing the improvements and we hope to continuing providing a consistently good working experience to all our freelancers. Looking forward to a longer continued association with you! Best, Tanvi Devpura Associate, Freelancer Engagement

"They'll nickel and dime you, unrealistic rating system"

2.0
    Current Freelancer - Freelancer

I have been working at Cactus Communications

Pros

Flexible, interesting studies sometimes, work as much as you want

Cons

They'll do anything to lower the QI score (and your pay), and non-native editors reviewing your work will tell you that although your grammar is fine, the phrasing is awkward--they're wrong, but there's no point in arguing because you won't win over e-mail with some stranger. But if an assignment has a mistake even months after they give you a decent QI--you get blamed and deducted--this is in your contract so just know that. Clients also are unrealistic--yeah, if I was an orthopedic surgeon with your level of expertise, do you think I'd be doing this? If clients give you a good rating, that piece of work won't be factored into your quality score.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Cactus Communications.