1. "Great place to work and grow if you can get past the business model"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

Capital One was unparalleled in terms of the work-life balance: employees up to the VP level would regularly leave at 4:00 pm to pick up kids from work, leave for classes, or make an appointment. The internal coding courses offered were an incredible way to get relevant, foundational technical skills that you could practice day-to-day. The role I was in was fairly challenging although the cyclical nature of the work meant that things would get repetitive past the 1-year mark. Fortunately the rotation program allows almost anyone to switch teams and experience a new role within the company.

Cons

Capital One's only real con to me was its unsavory business model. While the mission was to "Change Banking for Good", looking at the financials usually painted the picture of profiting off poor people and new immigrants off of interest and high fees. While this does not affect the genuinely great day-to-day work environment, there is a pill that should be explicitly swallowed when considering the societal value that is created at large.

Continue reading

Capital One Response

June 2, 2020Talent Brand and Marketing Lead

Thanks for the constructive feedback. We are happy to hear that you valued the work-life balance, and felt that your work was challenging and engaging. Although it’s never easy to hear where we’re coming up short, your feedback will help us make necessary changes.

1. "Excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time

Pros

- Wonderful progressive culture - Compassionate and focused leadership - Generous compensation

Cons

- Can be hard to navigate a large organization

2. "Good company!"

Former Employee - Internal Communications Manager in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Capital One full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance; always talk of not emailing after work hours

Cons

No diversity in Leadership within certain businesses.

Discover more reviews about Capital One.