There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

"Good Company with lots of potential growth"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay. care about their employees. work is fun. cerner sponsored events are pretty fun too.

Cons

long hours. really busy. only have one monitor.

Other Employee Reviews for Cerner

"Surrounded by incompetence"

Current Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, health facility, and own clinic and pharmacy

Cons

Training is pointless, because they hire so many people that you end up getting trained by someone who started only a couple months before you. All they care about is numbers and getting rid of tickets (clients) rather than trying to figure out the true source of the problem. Everyone that is on my team does not have any technical background or education or clinical experience. It's pretty much a customer service representative.

Advice to Management

Train your employees first before throwing them in there. To some extent this can be good, but how Cerner does it, it decreases efficiency and patient safety.

"It's a good 'starter' job for fresh college graduates...get in...get out"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Cerner for over 5 years now and can definitely see the changes from when I first started. As for the good, It's a great "out of college" job to get your feet wet. All types of technologies and learning experiences that will look great on your resume. Hours are pretty flexible, I pretty much come and go as I please. And of course being a healthcare company, the sky is the limit for growth. Very young workforce. A free gym is a nice perk as well, unfortunately those of us at innovations have been

Cons

When I started, the average starting salary was very competitive for the midwest. Problem was, once they reeled us in with the nice starting salary...they then gave us horrible raises. Even in cases of promotions. Promotions all depend on your team, manager and of course office politics. I highly recommend getting on a team that gets a lot of exposure. Do not be afraid to move to another team after you have started. And make sure to keep a steady convo on "What it takes to get to the next level" with your manager. You really have to push it. There is no doubt in my mind that they get an order from higher management to keep promotions to a minimal. It seems that cerner is more concerned with hiring cheaper labor(fresh college grads, work visa international citizens, etc) than keeping experienced engineers. They've actually been on a crazy hiring spree lately bringing in tons of international workers. My advice is get some experience here for 2-5 years while pushing for promotions and then start looking for the next opportunity else where.

Advice to Management

Instead of going on the hiring spree, how about retaining your current employees with all of the knowledge . Also, there should be more uniformity with promotions. A promotion is more dependent on the manager's personality than the engineer's actual skills/experience/performance. I've seen teams with "cool" managers who vouch and push their upper execs to get promotions for their engineers without the engineer even asking(which is great!)......while other managers have to be practically begged to even discuss possible promotions with their engineers.