- 1.028 Sept 2015Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 1 year
Sincere and talented middle management labored under abusive conditions to protect the front-line employee from distress - to little effect. I have great respect for those real creators who fielded the constant idiocy and ego of the CEO. So many good people who could have created something great.
CEO: An ego run amok with no real "vision" - only that leached from those who work for him. Insane expectations with zero respect for those who try to counsel specific strategies for success that don't match his fantasies. The most childish person I've ever known. Micromanages EVERYTHING. Doesn't trust the leads and violates any direction they may have given to their teams. Disappears for weeks at a time, only to return and trash and reverse the progress made in his absence. I watched extremely talented programmers, artists, and designers labor under constant reversals in direction, monetary mismanagement and hemorrhages, and frequent band-aid solutions. I watched good people become sycophants just to keep their jobs. And they, in turn, become insufferable. I suffered under nepotism on a grand scale that cost the company millions. As the brain-drain of top-tier talent continues, and the gaming public observes an absolute failure to deliver original promises amid rampant scope creep and a ponzi-scheme of selling new virtual assets to pay for the massive list of those yet to be created, this company is now in a death-spiral of epic proportion in the crowd-funding space. Entire offices are being closed as the company closes ranks around the CEO. Any qualified professional will flee this company - and most have. Any spin on stories about amicable employee departures are, essentially, lies. The company spins them and the ex-employee sucks it up to avoid hurting their future career prospects.48
- 5.015 Sept 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer EmployeeLos Angeles, CA
Great place to work with good benefits. Leadership focuses on providing excellent health and wellness benefits that I have not seen at other employers. Also, there is a great deal of emphasis on adding fun into the workplace and employees are encouraged to socialize, hang out, and play games together. Office is also pet friendly with casual dress.
it can be a bit zany at times... :)1
- 2.02 Nov 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearAustin, TX
- Health and Dental benefits are excellent - Lots of cool people to work with - The IP is cool and interesting and really has potential
- Severe mismanagement of funds and other resources at the C-level and among some Directors and middle management - Middle management in general is hit or miss - there are some great managers who are effective and care about the work and the people, but there are also several who hover, micromanage, hold you back, and generally discourage individual progression - Lack of repercussions for higher ups, while lower level employees are easily discarded due to "budget constraints" - While the Austin office has been left to slowly rot, the LA office equates to a black hole for backer funds. - There are clear and intentional actions taken to ask more and more of employees without any increase in compensation, which is already poor and misrepresented in job listings. As an example of wasted time and funds: Studios regularly provide breakfast and other refreshment options for all employees. When it comes to C-level executives though, there is absolutely "special treatment" that directly translates to wasted time and money -- These individuals get extra expensive pastries, coffee, etc. on a daily basis. These are not made available to any other employees and requests for these are treated as top priority "Do it now" tasks, regardless of whatever else is going on. Executives will literally delay meetings until they receive whatever it is they requested, and will not hesitate to complain or send it back if it is not exactly to their liking.2