Employee Review

1. 2.0
    Former Employee

Selling something that they aren't. Hypocritical leadership.

1 Oct 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some lovely people there.

Cons

Leadership is hypocritical, selfish, untrustworthy and spineless, filled with empty promises. They talk a big 'people first' culture but when push comes to shove, they lay off a bunch of staff in the middle of a pandemic and then 3 months later give out a tonne of promotions and start rehiring again. All the while they are selling themselves as the company that really care for people first.

11 people found this review helpful

Culture Amp Response

CEO

Letting someone go in a layoff is one of the toughest things to do as a leader - but as tough as it is, it is not as tough as being let go. If I was in your shoes I would be angry too. Making that choice was not easy - but choosing not to do it would not have been a stronger, nor more principled choice. When covid hit I had to decide what to do so that Culture Amp could continue to deliver on it’s mission no matter how much worse things got. We had imperfect information about how bad things could get, and I held on as long as I could until I realised that I was trying so hard not to hurt anyone that I would end up hurting everyone. When we made that choice we did it after reducing every other cost we could, having leaders take pay cuts and committing to not doing our normal pay cycle review in the middle of the year - all so that we could keep as many people as possible. Yes - we did a promotion cycle several months after the layoffs, because we spoke to people and they said that even though there would be no pay rise attached they still wanted the recognition. And yes - we have started hiring again. Our customers held up better than we hoped they could, our teams rallied together and we are now doing more for customers than we ever have - and are growing because of it. We couldn't have predicted that, and they just as easily could have gone in the opposite direction. I thank you for everything you did in your time at Culture Amp and I apologise that your parting did not live up to what we both sought to do together. I don’t expect you to forgive me, or us, but I hope that this gives you a bit of clarity on what you've observed.

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A special place

15 Apr 2021 - Corporate Office Staff
    Business Outlook

Pros

What has kept me at this company is hands down the people. The CEO is a true visionary and a good soul. There are things I've learned from this company (beyond my technical discipline) about the complexities of making a better world of work that I will be able to carry well into my career as a manager, mentor and employee. Looking at the science through our well credentialed and talented People Science team has been eye opening. People also have fun here. There are meaningful employee excursions and interesting speakers and events which round out the work experience. Also the software is spot on and an incredibly powerful tool for those wishing to make change in their organizations and get to the pulse of what is going on. The data does not lie! This is undoubtably a very special place. Building a company is by no means easy and then taking it to scale is even harder.

Cons

The usual growing pains in a hyper growth company are expected. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible people and incredible product

4 May 2021 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people I work with are some of the most genuine and helpful coworkers I've ever experienced. My teammates really do a lot to set each other up for success and achieve their goals. Collaboration is strong here, without the hyper-competitive issues that can seep into some sales cultures. The product is incredible and it's motivating to hear so many people speak to the impact Culture Amp has on their work and their business. Strong engineering and product team breeds confidence. Getting to speak with Culture First companies everyday is also a great benefit.

Cons

The organization has outgrown its start-up phase in terms of size and structure, so might not be the best place for people looking for that kind of company. More bureaucratic and opaque decision making has lead to some people leaving the org or feeling under-valued.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Culture Amp.