Damar Services - Good benefits! | Glassdoor.com.au

"Good benefits!"

Current Employee - Employee
Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Damar Services full-time

Pros

For being a non-stop-profit, they have good benefits, including affordable healthcare coverage. Working with the kids here is rewarding. There are a lot of great people that work here who really care about these kids.

Cons

Lack of communication between staff and upper management at times. Also, dealing with some of the behaviors of the kids' can be tough sometimes.

Other Employee Reviews for Damar Services

"Kids are great, Employment is terrible"

Former Employee - Direct Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Direct Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Damar Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids are great! You have your good days and your bad days but you become attached and just want to do whatever you can for them! Can really open your eyes to what the good, bad, and ugly is in this world.

Cons

I worked here for 7 months and absolutely loved it at first but that declined quickly. The only reason why I stayed was because of the girls in the unit that I was caring for. I could not walk away from them. I could handle getting my hair pulled, objects thrown at me, verbal abuse and physical from the clients but when things got out of hand and staff didn't help I was done. The thing that pushed me to my limit was when myself and others were put in a dangerous situation by management and a client could have gotten seriously hurt, nothing was done about the incident and I could no longer support this company.

You don't get paid for the work you put in. It's a hard job and can be very stressful.
    You don't receive adequate training for the individuals you care for.
    They hire anyone, they're are a lot of Africans that work there and this makes communication very difficult.

Management is terrible. You put in incident reports on staff harassment and nothing gets done and your manager is never there on the weekends to provide every day necessities.
    Some staff fall asleep and nothing is done about it.
    There are a lot of lazy staff and managers that will throw you under the bus to cover themselves.

In my opinion I really feel that they should only hire people who have went to school and got the education needed to take care of special needs children. Not just anyone who needs a job.

Turnover rates are outrageous with employment. They care more about paper work than anything else. The company tells you in orientation the reason why people quit is because they can't handle the work. I find that very untrue. The place is very disorganized and management is ridiculous. This is why people leave.

Advice to Management

I feel that you should change your requirements to become direct care staff. People should be fully educated on how to care for these children. Not just people who have never got into any criminal trouble. An Associates or Bachelors in Special Education or Human Services. These children need and deserve more than what they are receiving. Employees who cannot speak English or understand it should be up for discussion when hiring. When there's a language barrier between staff that's one thing but when there's that much of a language barrier between an employee and a child with autism makes things even more difficult. And you should be more selective when picking people to be managers of a unit, don't pick people who have no clue on how to manage staff and units.

2. "Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid"

Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I worked at Damar Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can work part time and get full time benefits, including (crummy) health insurance. They stress that they don't teach morality to the clients (sounds bad and it creates immoral clients. But teaching the morality of the senior management would make them even worse).

Cons

Devious management; some dangerous clients; lots of responsibility for the pay; teamed with people with varying levels of competence and morality.

Advice to Management

Apply basic human morality in your dealings with your employees. Your games can destroy the lives of the staff.