Experian - Great on Stock Market - Regular type of Company for Employees | Glassdoor.com.au
There are newer employer reviews for Experian

"Great on Stock Market - Regular type of Company for Employees"

Current Employee - Director in Sherman, TX (US)
Current Employee - Director in Sherman, TX (US)

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly good compensation. Good Benefits. Schedule flexibility when needed. I've crossed paths with a lot of really good, hard-working employees. There are some AMAZINGLY intelligent people that work in the analytics divisions of the company....almost scary intelligent! : ) As a large corporation, it's much like any other in my opinion. Not great, not bad. Like any other job, it's pretty much what the employee chooses to make of it.

Experian is a cash-producing machine....that is its reason for existence...this is great for stock holders and might be great for employees who can stick around and get an annual bonus.

Cons

Only been with Experian for 2 years. Already had one major round of layoffs in my sub-business, another is on its way, and a reorganization is also about to occur. All these educational and related benefits are touted as available, but if your unit didn't budget for whatever reason - none for you. Short term cash generation seems to rule over any type of long-term planning for cash generation and value. Not hitting short-term goals (i.e. EBIT for FY 2013) causes extreme cost cutting measures ensue.

Advice to Management

Stop with the catchy nonsensical programs such as "The Employee Deal," "The Heart of Experian," and such. Just tell us in a transparent fashion what we need to know and don't try to dress it up with Sesame Street type themes.

Other Employee Reviews for Experian

"Good experience! Great team spirit"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience with various projects being worked on.
    Small Company feel with great team spirit.
    Growth can be good at lower levels.

Cons

Company is middle heavy, not much progressing after a certain point. Not clear is what is needed for progression.
    Lack of Career development plans and lack of HR support.

2. "Average pay, political environment, no room for growth"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The front-line managers care and protected the team as much as they could.

Cons

January rings in a new year and a new sense of doom for employees fearing for their jobs. Front-level management cares a little too much and protects the team in an unhealthy manner.

Fat could be trimmed to make a team run well, but usually isn't. When folks are cut, they are measured from a political perspective (tenure, friends/ties, etc.) and not what they can provide or do for the company.

No career development. Teams are built in a very flat manner, which gives team members little room for advancement. Even if you execute your job wonderfully, there is little opportunity for you to advance since there's a strong feeling that choices for promotions/advancement are done from a political more than pragmatic perspective.

Senior management feels dishonest and when they speak to you, it feels like they're trying to sell you a used car (and not a good one). Often times, when there are layoffs, executive speeches are contrived, insincere, and leave you feeling like they were just trying to keep rats from fleeing a sinking ship. I cannot blame them for managing the company with a cost-cutting strategy, but I always appreciate honesty so I can evaluate my career options.

Advice to Management

Create career paths for employees to keep them engaged and cultivate a sense of personal growth. Have reviews more often to give feedback that is helpful and properly reflective of any raises given. If an employee is told that they are doing a great job and they receive significantly less than the cost of living as an adjustment, they should not be surprised.