GameStop - Great Customers, Horrible Leadership | Glassdoor.com.au
There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

"Great Customers, Horrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)
Former Employee - Store Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best customers in the world, annual trip to Vegas (for store managers and above) with private mini-E3 showcase. Free games for store Managers. Free game "borrowing" for all employees.

Cons

NO HOURS!!!!!!! Store Managers working 60+ hours because we don't have coverage otherwise. No overlap for lunch or bathroom breaks, and 12-15 hour shifts. Lip services is paid to "putting customer first" or "get out on the sales floor" but then when it comes time to implement Sr. Mgt hands down a huge weekly to-do list and no hours to have more than one person in the store at a time. Many SMs in my district come in on their day off every week just to do the weekly scans.
After you hit SM your stuck, very little room for growth. Also, some markets are very very over saturated. We have 5 stores within a 2 mile circle. With another 4 within 6 miles. There is two sets of stores that are literally looking at each other. Two in a mall and two in a shopping center across the street from mall. In the mall if you stand at the entrance you are looking at your "sister" store, which of course you compete with. Same story in the shopping center. No team feeling within district because we are constantly fighting each other for the same customers.
Low salary for whats expected. Made more as an ASM for a different company and only had to work 40 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Either get read of the ridiculous amount of busy work every week or give us hours to have people on the floor. The only reason gamestop can compete with the big box stores is customer service, but that has been pushed to the side over the last couple years in exchange for "operational procedures"
Spread your stores out!!!!!!!!! Buying up competitors was fine, but we need to move the stores from being on top of each other.

Other Employee Reviews for GameStop

"Fun place to work but suffers in leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Grapevine, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Grapevine, TX (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. Very hip and HR does a very good job of providing events and activities througout the year (like custume contests, video game release parties, etc). Very fiscally conservative.

Cons

Leadership at the time I was there was not in touch with reality. They tried to provide a vision people could get behind but execution was not there. E-commerce, where I worked, was fun but the senior management that was in place when I was only interested in justifying their existance. A bit slow to adopting new technology and communication channels

"Unless you plan on devoting your life to the company, don't bother."

Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor
    Former Employee - Senior Game Advisor

I worked at GameStop part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a discount on many of the products, which stacks if you also have the discount card, and working there offers great practice for developing your salesmanship and people skills. I don't really have any problems conversing with strangers after working here for three years. Also, some insurance is offered through the company, even to the lowest tier keyholders.

Gamestop is also a constantly growing company, and they don't like to switch staff often, so if you become a manager, your job is relatively secure, as long as you can keep up with the demands.

Cons

The lower your position in the company, the less it is worth your time. Basic part-time sales associates, or Game Advisors, start at minimum wage. Many positions start at minimum wage, but Gamestop allots so few hours for their non-managerial employees that they get about three hours a week, unless it is holiday season or the employee is great. When I was a Game Advisor, I was given priority hours over other GAs, because I knew how to do more and had slightly better numbers than the others. Even so, I still only pulled in about $125 paychecks every two weeks.

Once I was promoted after much dedication and hard work, the number of my responsibilities doubled, and the increase to my hourly salary was less than $1. At this point, I was making roughly $400 every two weeks, due to my increase in hours. Much better, but still not enough to make a living. You don't really begin seeing benefits unless you become an Assistant Manager or Store Manager, but it takes much time, devotion, and very hard work to reach these spots.

Advice to Management

For nearly every task I did at Gamestop as both a Game Advisor and a Senior Game Advisor, I understood its purpose. Offering upsales, game reservations, and discount card subscriptions are part of what helps the company thrive. Also, the amount of attention given to customer satisfaction is very admirable.

However, it seems as though not enough focus is put on employee happiness. No one can live on three hours a week. And the "Do it or we'll find someone who will" attitude is really only keeping employees from doing the best job they can. You can catch more flies with honey, as they say.