"An embarrassment to have worked for"

1.0
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Honey Birdette full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Some of my casuals were lovely people who recognised the pressure higher management put on us as store managers and were somewhat of a shoulder to cry on - Generous discount on products - Generous but unattainable incentives

Cons

- Staff numbers were never thoroughly thought through, if at all. I would either have too many casuals; leaving many barely employed, being given the legal contracted minimum of 6 hours a fortnight (sometimes this would be a single six hour shift every two weeks). I would have my own casuals, AND casuals from other stores texting me begging me for more hours so that they could pay their rent. Alternatively I would have not enough casuals; leaving me working hours overtime each week when no one was available to work, or being called in on my days off because someone had called in sick the night before with no other casuals available to cover. - In my experience, the company does not fire. Rather, if they no longer favour a casual because of their KPIs or availability, area managers will request that store managers “take them off the rosters” (direct quote). No communication, just cease giving them shifts. When casuals then began anxiously texting and calling as to why they no longer get shifts or if they are even employed by the company, we would be instructed to not respond. This occurred on multiple occasions. - Inadequate security and safety measures; on multiple occasions I would be in store alone with customers that made lewd comments, advances, gestures, or even would physically touch me, and would have no means to contact security or have any defence due to being so alone. The partition walls (whilst a legal requirement in all stores to hide the toy walls) obstructed view from the outside of the store, and would frequently be utilised by perverts to isolate and harass workers without witnesses. - We were once pressured by area managers at company boot camps to go home and leave positive reviews on Glassdoor due to the numbers of scathing reviews the company had received. I can confirm many reviews made between August-November 2019 were made by former colleagues that had been pressured to leave positive reviews. They are not genuine. - Personal budgets; all staff are assigned personal budgets for each day, week and month. They either make them, or they fall into the ‘red’- a zone that is published publicly in the staff newsletter every single week, naming and shaming them causing humiliation and also severe drama amongst casuals that would steal sales from others in order to get themselves out of the red. You are appraised monthly on your previous months sales, and your casual’s sales adversely impact you as a manager. You will be accused of having not trained them properly or having not worked hard enough. - Flagship stores are favoured over any other. They will receive more stock, be favoured by area management when store-store conflict arises, always be chosen by the CEO and head office for store visits, whilst other stores are constantly overlooked or ignored. - Head Office are unprofessional. The Customer Obsessives and other Honeys that represent the brand from its very headquarters should act like brand ambassadors. Despite their prompt responses when called from the store, their social media presence is an insulting reminder that the HQ Honeys care more about videoing each other twerking in the office for their instagram stories than representing what is marketed as an exclusive and luxurious brand. - The pay is utterly appalling, and you will not see anything for the hours of overtime you will be asked to work. - Presentation standards are suffocating and objectifying; nude or red manicured nails, red lipstick, winged eyeliner, stilettos, white collared shirts and sleek, tidy hair are all uniform requirements. - Staff turnover rate is obscene. Including for store managers. Goes to show how invaluable and disposable their employees are. - Absolutely no training. Even for new store managers. All you can do is call other stores when you are completely lost or fend for yourself. Most commonly you would be trained by casuals that had been there longer than you.

Continue reading
  1. "Honey Birdette USA"

5.0
    Current Employee - Customer Obsessive and In Store Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Honey Birdette full-time for more than a year

Pros

- always opportunities for growth, after about 3-4 months at HB I was offered learning opportunities to grow and become ASM, SM, and more as well as all more opportunities to work online, to curate events and work the events as well - supportive management team, when personal emergencies came up (as they do) I was met with understanding and offered to stay home or have my shift covered- at prior jobs I would be met with a "so what" attitude that I have not experienced at HB - transparency about upcoming projects and policies + why they're important, yes there's high targets but current US management does a great job as to why those targets are important and should be met - Really good pay for a starting wage compared to other jobs (well above minimum wage)

Cons

- Yes, wearing heels is a part of the uniform however, the height is your choice and if needed you can wear professional flats (injury, tired- first and last hour of shift etc, when running errands- trash, restroom, etc) - Small teams in store (1-3 Honey's on the floor at most, usually 2) - If you're not adaptable to a quick paced environment HB is not for you, there are high performance targets, full shifts (4, 6, 8 hours), operations and tasks to maintain whilst tending to clients. During rush hours it does become a lot to handle- it is a supportive environment but designed for quick learners and people who can multi-task well.

2. "Unsure..."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Sydney

I have been working at Honey Birdette part-time

Pros

discount, female environment, beautiful high quality products

Cons

promises unfulfilled, old computer system, drama

Discover more reviews about Honey Birdette.