IBM - Great place to gain experience, but always had to "look over my shoulder" | Glassdoor.com.au
There are newer employer reviews for IBM

"Great place to gain experience, but always had to "look over my shoulder""

Former Employee - Project Manager
Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

- IBMers are some of the best people to work with in terms of skill and dedication. I have learned a lot from my colleagues there.
- Excellent benefits including a pension (I am not sure if this is still available for new hires).

Cons

- Frequent Resource Actions (RIF)
- Always felt pressured to look for a new job within IBM even though my first line manager was a Professional Development Manager or a Resource Manager. Why not help me find a job?

Advice to Management

- The resource actions that have been taken have affected the morale of your employees. I was RA'd in 2009, but I found a new job quickly and have not looked back. Remember these former employees will become employees of companies that will influence the purchase of your products or services --- or they may not.

Other Employee Reviews for IBM

1. "Very positive and fulfilling experience- never expected such a similar one for an intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Lots of challenging experiences, you are exposed to management and senior levels -and are given huge responsibilies from day one, the international and fast changing atmosphere is always very demanding but extremely rewarding also

Cons

It is a very huge company so it can result stressfull sometimes in order to get a smooth running -in terms of paperwork

Advice to Management

Go on with the good job! Imo, you should consider to join more junior roles at their career first stages

2. "IBM Global Services - what is it"

Current Employee - IT Specialist
    Current Employee - IT Specialist

Pros

Decent medical coverage
    Ability to work from home.
    You manage your work.

Cons

Major red tapes which equates to overhead and productivity
    Huge overturned. Constantly training people. All most all position are offshored to India.
    US SME's train India to take their jobs.
    Constantly looking for new assignments or get on a "bench" and off the payroll. Most positions are 3-6 months term.
    Overworked, no time for training; can not take long vacation.
    No reimbursement for Internet access even though you work from home 100%.
    Perform consulting works without consulting pay.
    Can not plan for your future (big investment like buying a house) since there is no "job security"

Advice to Management

Stop trying to do the dirty works for other corporations who try do massive layoff without a bad PR for a small fee. Your dirty work and a quick paycheck affect thousands of people and their families. Most of my peers were hard working, knowledgeable employee. They were gone because you moved the work elsewhere to less capable people.