"Literally, the worst place I’ve ever worked!"

1.0

I worked at Leighton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some genuinely nice people working here

Cons

There is so much wrong with Leighton it is difficult to know where to begin with this review. Leighton is by far the most toxic environment I’ve ever worked in. What is worse is that they know this and rather than fix the root of the problem they try their level best to pin the blame on anybody other than senior management. Around the end of 2017, we were told that a new CEO was coming in to replace the old CEO. There was so much wrong with Leighton before the new CEO came in but once he was here, he made everything far worse. He has absolutely no leadership skills and would rather get his senior staff to relay messages he was too afraid to relay himself. The fact he manages to stand up straight without a spine is the greatest achievement of his tenure so far. Issues such as lack of resourcing and lack of good equipment were raised but management decided it would be better to introduce quizzes and pizza days, and completely neglect matters that actually affected the business. This has come back to bite them as they are struggling to hold onto work and as a result have had to release a lot of staff. Don’t believe the spiel they give you when you go in for an interview; over the course of 3 years, 100+ people have been let go from Leighton - a company that barely has 50 staff. Another problem with Leighton was the fact that whenever something went wrong, they had to find a scapegoat so that management wouldn’t get the blame. Leighton are masters of demoralising staff and making them feel worthless and then blaming them for it. Talking from my own personal experience; I went in as a graduate and they made little to no effort to help me develop in my role. This really dented my confidence and thus my ability to do my job properly. At the time I genuinely felt this was a fault of my own, however since leaving I have went to another company and had none of these issues. I am now able to fulfil my duties without any issue and thoroughly enjoy my job. It’s a far-cry from where I used to be and I came to realise the problem was Leighton itself. Unbeknownst to me, the company I went to had previously done work for a client of Leighton’s (at least they were a client up until the time I left). I distinctly remember Leighton blaming the client for the lack of progress and everything that was wrong with the project but it turned out this was just Leighton up to their old tricks. My current employer had absolutely no issues with this client and Leighton had just underestimated the project. Leighton’s biggest client would probably be British Airways (which they are clinging onto with dear life). Whilst there, they had a move-around of seats so that Leighton staff were sat together, however, they placed everyone together bar 4 members of staff from ethnic minorities, who they segregated in a different part of the building. This was raised but just as quickly ignored as Leighton had bigger priorities, such as organising a quiz day. Three out of them four members of staff no longer work there and were released within the space of a few months. This is just the tip of the iceberg with Leighton. If you want to commit career suicide, this is the place to do so. If you want to work for a company that values its employees and encourages personal development, don’t go to Leighton. And if you’re feeling down and need cheering up, ring any recruitment agency and ask for their opinion on Leighton...you will not be disappointed.

Continue reading

Leighton Response

February 1, 2019Head of People

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. To begin with may I say that I am genuinely pleased you have found a role in a company that is clearly a good fit for you, I am disappointed that Leighton was not that company. I appreciate you sharing your concerns about our culture and environment, but, there is something in your review that I feel I must address and that is the concern you raise about discrimination in the seating arrangements. Leighton as an employer is rightfully proud of the diversity of staff it employs and will not tolerate discriminatory behaviour against any staff member on the grounds of ethnicity, race, religion, sex or age amongst others. Whilst I do not believe that ethnicity of staff members played any part in the seating arrangements, I appreciate that does not match your perception, so, can I ask that you please contact me at your earliest convenience (using e-mail address: human.resources@leighton.com) so that I can better understand your comments and discuss them with you further. In order to find out if any other member of staff has felt this way, we are initiating a completely anonymous process where any staff member who has concerns of an incident of any kind can report the incident without fear of recrimination, I will personally follow up all reports. We have not as of yet had a single report but rest assured, this process will remain in place indefinitely to try and ensure no-one else feels the way you felt. At the end of 2017 a new CEO and Leadership Team joined Leighton and over the last 12 months we have added significantly to the headcount to address the lack of resources and we are working hard to implement initiatives that will contribute to improving our resource strategy. We are also continuing our investment in new IT equipment, so our people have the best possible equipment to do their roles effectively. One of the changes our CEO is keen to make is to empower our people and managers to have autonomy and to take accountability for the decisions that they make, therefore he will not always be the person who communicates decisions, but our monthly CEO updates should ensure he will always explain business decisions. Thank you again for your feedback we will continue to look at new and innovative ways of creating an environment where we put our amazing people at the heart of what we do.

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Family feel"

4.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Crewe, England

I have been working at Leighton full-time

Pros

Supportive, passionate trust values, community feel

Cons

No Structure, technology behind, location

Leighton Response

May 20, 2020Head of People

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I wanted to check that you've placed your review on the correct company as I noticed that you were based in Crewe and your job title doesn't fit the roles that we have as a technology business. We are based in the North East of England. I wanted to ensure that you posted this good review on your own company Glassdoor. Many thanks

"Good company, improving with more still to do."

4.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Newcastle, England

I worked at Leighton full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of positives when I worked at Leighton, but some of them do depend on where you are based. (Rainton HQ, Newcastle or London) Free tea, coffee and fruit. Good office atmosphere. Music, console games, pool table, darts board, golf and others for chill out times. Great colleagues to work with and some fantastic customers such as British Airways, Ikea, Great Run and more. Flexible Working, working from home and wear what you like any day of the week not just Friday's like some places. You will also get the chance to work on some interesting and large projects.

Cons

Leighton still have a way to go to improve staff stability and sustainability but it is improving. Sometimes workload for certain staff members is not managed well enough hence the first point. Still heavily reliant upon British Airways.

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about Leighton.