National HME - Some good some bad | Glassdoor.com.au

"Some good some bad"

Current Employee - Driver
Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at National HME full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alot of hours means more money
working outside and to some degree on your own schedule

Cons

the hours can be a bit much if you have a family
pay not nearly enough for your effort

Advice to Management

You say the drivers are the most important part but pay them like they are expendable. Too keep good people you have to compensate them.

Other Employee Reviews for National HME

"If you are considering this company, you really DON'T want to work here."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at National HME full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like everyone has said here, its Hospice. You help people in their final days.

Cons

A recent ex employee of mine recently told me about this site and I couldn’t not post my story.I can tell you that this is not a company you want to work for.No matter what song and dance they give you, run away.Despite their “ faith in god”they couldn’t be any farther from that.

I was hired as a manager and told how great the company is, great support, great people, asked if I believe in god (good thing I did my research before interviewing), and told how I would manage a branch in an emerging region.

In my short tenure there, I saw 4 regional managers.Three were fired during my time and the fourth was recently let go. The first two were horrible, the second two were amazing,I was perplexed at the firing of the third and fourth as they put more hours in then anyone I knew.I was told “budgetary” constraints.Yet I’m well aware of the lavish lifestyle that the managers at corporate had. Having traveled to corporate and seen the lexus cars first hand, it was extremely disappointing. I was actually never managing and was expected to function as a driver.IE work on call, work nights, weekends, etc.This was all due to the fact that they wouldn’t provide enough staff to run the business.I had to rent a truck and convince some people that we were a real company despite no identification on our trucks.When inquiring with my manager, I was told that they are going off of Texas numbers and that there was nothing we could do (adding additional staff).Well I voiced my concerns to the past CEO George Robertson (wonder why he is no longer), I was belittled and told to do my job. He would not take my calls or respond to emails after that and told my boss I had to go (even though he disagreed with him).

I went out on a few sales calls with a rep (before he quit) and then had a new rep who lied all the time as well per the direction of her boss.They would blatantly lie to customers to get the business and leave me to pick up the pieces.If you are thinking about operations, be aware of this, they will lie to grow this business. It will fall on you for the failure even though you didn’t make the false promises.

In the end,most managers outside of Texas are no longer with the company as they questioned the authority of senior management.The smart ones left(such as myself). Others simply got let go because they couldn’t meet the demands of the sales people who lied.

The Father son outfit I hear is no longer as the Father stepped down.I highly doubt that it was on his own accord as he was running the business into the ground.

I knew how frustrated my drivers were and didn’t have any options due to the economy.They have all left (4 of them) so that should be a red flag as well if you are applying for those positions.The expectations are unrealistic to say the least.

There are national DME companies that you should work for.While none of them are perfect, my drivers that came from there are now back there today (3 out of 4).That should tell you something.The grass isn’t always greener just because you use astroturf.

Advice to Management

Start over or sell to someone that knows how to run a company.

"Fulfilling experience to work with amazing people in which we have the opportunity to touch lives at a dark time."

I have been working at National HME full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with fantastic teammates everyday by serving hospice patients and their families. I love what I do because everyday I go home to be with my family I know what I did made a difference!

Cons

Hospice is an emotional roller coaster and we are serving people who just found out a loved one is dying. We are normally the first ones in the home and see the raw emotions of the family...this can get tough everyday.

Advice to Management

I have seen a tremendous effort by leadership to improve communication, safety processes, and overall give us an opportunity to have great benefits including advancement.