"Supportive culture and impactful work"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Nous Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Focus on positive impact projects, great social culture, leadership are predominantly accessible and supportive

Cons

Some subconscious preference towards extroverts in resourcing and promotions, not as established in practice or approach as larger top-tier consultancies

Continue reading

March 16, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review and for acknowledging our culture and the positive influence we deliver through our projects. I hope we don't have sub-conscious bias towards more extroverted employees but your feedback is a good reminder to always be alert to unconscious bias. Our performance review process involves many people, in part to address the issue of potential bias. Calibration sessions bring together the views of office leads, resourcing, HR business partners, and the MD and CFO, to review and reflect on the feedback provided by colleagues. Many of our best performers are not extroverts - they are smart people who quietly deliver excellent work for our clients.

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Nous is a great place to work with strong values"

5.0
    Former Intern - Intern Consultant in Melbourne

I worked at Nous Group for less than a year

Pros

- Nous has a strong, positive culture. Everyone wants you to achieve your best and leaders are accessible. - The 'self-management' style means you have a high degree of autonomy with your work, even at a junior level. - Better work-life balance compared to other consulting firms.

Cons

- Lots of small pieces of work which means consultants are often working on multiple projects at once. This may lead to higher rate of burn-out and result in consultants typically working from the office rather than the client site. - Nous is strong in highly regulated sectors and government yet the private sector side is a lot weaker in my experience which leads to a lack of variety in the types of case engagements.

Continue reading

July 6, 2020Chief People Officer

I am glad you enjoyed your internship with Nous, both the work and the culture. As an intern you often work on smaller pieces or work or tasks, to align with both capacity and capability and ensure the right intern experience. We do work with the private sector where there is alignment with our positive influence purpose. Not surprisingly due to our focus on partnering with clients to improve people's lives we have many clients and projects in the public and not for profit sectors. Pre-COVID we were onsite partnering with many of these. In the current environment we have far fewer consultants on client site and are delighted to see the majority of our clients embracing remote working, including with consultants!

"Meaningful work, great people, big workload"

4.0
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Nous Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

Company and people who work for it genuinely work to exercise positive influence and strive for bold and innovative thinking. In theory, company is very supportive of part time work and flexible working arrangements however workload can make it hard to capitalise on those offers. Strong onboarding process and lots of built in support (including 'buddies, performance coach, PD/PM mentors)

Cons

Nous is pretty good for a consulting firm, but consulting careers are inherently demanding and unpredictable. Staff turnover seems high compared to previous non-consulting businesses. Money is not great for effort required.

February 19, 2020Chief People Officer

Great governing thought! You have nailed the idea of conveying key points in your heading :) Nous is a genuine organisation with our purpose of positive influence driving our meaningful work. 24% of Nousers work part time reflecting our support of flexible working arrangements. We do know that in consulting it is challenging to deliver meaningful projects working less than 3 or 4 days per week, given the nature of the work and style of work in project teams. And we acknowledge that as a consulting firm with a strong client focus, workload can be somewhat unpredictable. Turnover in consulting firms is typically higher than non-consulting businesses, in part due to the demands of the work and in part due to consultants being inherently growth oriented and open to new adventures and opportunities.

Discover more reviews about Nous Group.